Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 387 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I haven't met a professor that I'd be comfortable with referring to as Mr. Professor smile (DW is not currently, although it's likely she'll pursue that course after the children are a little older). My original post was a bit tongue-in-cheek as I have never had to correct anyone. But when the opportunity comes up--and it generally does--it's not hard to politely let them know about DW. Given that school admin's with PhDs are addressed as Dr. So-and-so I'm not sure why we'd act any differently... ?

I definitely don't flaunt that (or what I do). In the non-academic and social world, we don't bring it up unless someone asks.

JB

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Dazed&Confuzed
    WHen DS was in K, his teacher remarked how much he knows about science, w/out thinking, I said "well, his father and I both have Ph.Ds in science." I kid you not, the man rolled his eyes .
    I'm just wondering how you do that w/out coming across as snooty, elitest and starting off on the wrong foot?"

Wow. This is all a really sad commentary on our society and how an innate quality like intelligence can be called "elitist." Reactions like the eye-rolling one described above say a lot about the mentality of the eye-roller and speak volumes about why so many of us have so much trouble with the schools. I mean seriously, what kind of cretin was this guy?

Also unfortunately, this type of attitude helps drive bright kids out of the public schools.

Sorry, I just had to vent. This was too appalling.

Val

Last edited by Val; 08/10/08 01:16 PM.
    Originally Posted by Dazed&Confuzed
    JBDAd - I'm interested in that statement. I think MDs are generally more comfortable with using that title than Ph.Ds. I've never used it. WHen DS was in K, his teacher remarked how much he knows about science, w/out thinking, I said "well, his father and I both have Ph.Ds in science." I kid you not, the man rolled his eyes at me. That was pretty much the end of the conversation. I've kept my degree under wraps since then.

When people do this my DW asks them if they have an eye problem. When they say no, she then mimics what they did and asks them if they are aware that they have this problem. She then goes on at length about how it may be the result of a rare brain condition. When they fall for the bait and ask what condition it is, she TELLS them. The next time she meets them in public, she asks how their brain tumor is doing and if they still have that eye symptom. Most of the time, the non-clued-in people around them ask for more information and she shows it to them. She does it such Southern Belle voice, too. LOL.

Last edited by Austin; 08/10/08 04:06 PM.
    your wife sounds sooo cool...

[quote=AustinWhen people do this my DW asks them if they have an eye problem. When they say no, she then mimics what they did and asks them if they are aware that they have this problem. She then goes on at length about how it may be the result of a rare brain condition. When they fall for the bait and ask what condition it is, she TELLS them. The next time she meets them in public, she asks how their brain tumor is doing and if they still have that eye symptom. Most of the time, the non-clued-in people around them ask for more information and she shows it to them. She does it such Southern Belle voice, too. LOL.

[/quote]
    Oh Austin, I'd love to see that!
    Can you get her to do her bit on a YouTube?
    For my Birthday?
    Please?

((wink))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    LOL, how does she keep a straight face?

K
    K
    ROFL! Austin, it sounds like you have a real gem at home. I love it! laugh

Thanks! She does have a firehose on her face sometimes! Some of the things that pop out of her mouth are priceless!

Oh, my! Perfection, Austin & Austin's DW! grin

BTW, in some other thread when I talked about "playing dumb" about what people are saying when they say something dumb (or in this case, do something dumb!), this is EXACTLY the sort of "dumb" I meant. Calling people on their words and/or actions in a clueless way that is actually FAR more clued-in is right on the money!

I love it!

What's the brain tumor/condition called? I'd love to steal her schtick, Austin!

Kriston
    Its unprintable here. Just pick an adult synonym for cloaca.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM