Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    bbb Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    My son,junior in HS, was subject accelerated in History and English. He has now maxxed out course offerings and needs to fulfill required hours in these areas by taking university courses. It would be best online-as he still takes other courses at high school. We know University of Missouri online works for this-Anybody know of other universities that will allow credit for high school students. We live in Illinois. He has taken all the online courses courses available in English at local CCC. Anybody know other universities like Mizzou?

Do you have any idea where he might be headed for college?

I'd look at that. If you know he'll be in-state, take a look at what dual enrollment credits look like through various options. Many public unis offer web/distance coursework now, and though it isn't cheap, it does offer better credentialing than all-online providers from out of state. Generally, I mean.

Nebraska and Oklahoma State both offer online programs with a good deal of variety, as I recall. We looked into this as well, but ultimately opted not to.

Have you asked about independent study? I might look at that as an option as well. Most online offerings are pretty lackluster. Just so that you know that.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 10/27/15 01:15 PM. Reason: ugh, typos

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    I
    I
    Adding a link to a thread with a similar conversation from about 6 months ago.

If your son is accumulating credits for high school graduation, you may wish to check your local school policies to determine which college courses the high school will grant credit for.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM