Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: bbb University Online Courses for Highschooler - 10/27/15 07:30 PM
My son,junior in HS, was subject accelerated in History and English. He has now maxxed out course offerings and needs to fulfill required hours in these areas by taking university courses. It would be best online-as he still takes other courses at high school. We know University of Missouri online works for this-Anybody know of other universities that will allow credit for high school students. We live in Illinois. He has taken all the online courses courses available in English at local CCC. Anybody know other universities like Mizzou?
Do you have any idea where he might be headed for college?

I'd look at that. If you know he'll be in-state, take a look at what dual enrollment credits look like through various options. Many public unis offer web/distance coursework now, and though it isn't cheap, it does offer better credentialing than all-online providers from out of state. Generally, I mean.

Nebraska and Oklahoma State both offer online programs with a good deal of variety, as I recall. We looked into this as well, but ultimately opted not to.

Have you asked about independent study? I might look at that as an option as well. Most online offerings are pretty lackluster. Just so that you know that.
Adding a link to a thread with a similar conversation from about 6 months ago.

If your son is accumulating credits for high school graduation, you may wish to check your local school policies to determine which college courses the high school will grant credit for.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum