Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 226 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    B
    BSM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    Originally Posted by BSM
    He has had an FBA, and it does a reasonable job of characterizing his issues, but I'm not sure if anyone at the school has looked at it recently.
    Since we haven't had this, I don't fully understand it--but isn't the whole point to figure out alternate ways of dealing with undesirable behaviors? Maybe school needs a refresher.

As far as I know, the FBA is just a way of trying to figure out the antecedents to his behavior. It is an FYI for the teachers and staff, assuming they actually read it. It is also a recipe for his ongoing therapy at school, which is probably helping to a small extent.

Last edited by BSM; 10/15/15 11:11 AM.
    E
    E
    So are you saying you had the FBA but no formal behavioral plan? I thought the point was to develop a plan. A plan customized for the child when the "usual and customary" systems aren't working. I don't know a lot about it, but why even bother with FBA if they don't use the information to help the child learn better skills?

B
    BSM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    So are you saying you had the FBA but no formal behavioral plan? I thought the point was to develop a plan. A plan customized for the child when the "usual and customary" systems aren't working. I don't know a lot about it, but why even bother with FBA if they don't use the information to help the child learn better skills?

I should have added that there is a BIP as well. My concern with both of these is that they have not been followed, and probably need to be updated. Our recent IEP meeting was a triage and we ran out of time before we discussed the FBA and BIP, though there was some agreement that should probably impact the BIP. Right now we're waiting for the edits to the IEP, and we'll take it from there.

B
    BSM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    An update.

Heard this from another 2e parent who is a trusted source, though I may have missed some of the nuances since the info is secondhand...the art teacher that DS fought with until we pulled him has stated she treats the disabled kids in our program (a magnate program for profoundly gifted children) is if they were mentally disabled - she made an analogy to Downs Syndrome.

This is not a good thing, but explains a lot. In any case, we've already decided that we'll proactively homeschool him in art next year if she is going to be the teacher.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM