Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #221990 09/08/15 10:45 AM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Hello all, my younger DS, entering 1st grade, was recently identified as gifted. His scores are on here somewhere - His GAI is 138, I believe... and, if I recall correctly, his FSIQ was 132, I think. So, just moderately gifted, with an even profile, no learning disabilities. He's just a bright, easy-going kiddo. We have a GIEP meeting coming up and I have no clue what I should ask for. My older DS has a GIEP and an IEP for dyspraxia; so, I am used to advocating for accommodations for disabilities. I had to fight a lot in the past (2nd grade) to get gifted stuff addressed for him but that was not a problem after 2nd grade when he started getting some 'enriched' classes and was ultimately permitted to read his own books... I guess, now that I think of it, my older one made waves - he wanted more challenging math, he wanted to read books sufficiently challenging and at his interest level and not forced to only read from the "100 book challenge basket," etc. So, I knew what to ask for - he would basically tell me what he needed. My younger one isn't like that (yet, anyway). He's a pleaser. So, I do not know what to ask for. Anyone here have suggestions of what I should look into getting put in his GIEP? He's in the 95%iles for math and reading on the KTEA. I guess I will request some sort of enriched reading ...

Anyway, any advice and help would be appreciated!

Last edited by Irena; 09/08/15 10:47 AM.
    Irena #222085 09/09/15 01:20 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Bumping for help smile

Irena #222087 09/09/15 02:55 PM
    H
    H
    What I think is very important is to have a PLEP (Present Levels) Section that is very complete. Take a look at what they have written and see if you think it is complete. Did he hit the ceiling on any of the reading tests or grades otherwise. If there were grades that for K said that he exceeded the standard, ask by how much? How many years ahead is he in each subject compared to benchmarks? Once this section is nice and complete, it is often easy to know what the child is going to need.

I think I read before that you are in PA. You might know that a year or so ago, PA changed the law a little for Chapter 16. The GIEP now needs to address your child's areas of strength, so you need to figure out what that strength area is. It could be more than one area, like Reading Comprehension and Math, or whatever.

Then you will need to write goals in that area. You could have him do an independent project on a topic that interests him. You can ask for Math pre-testing and if he gets 80% or better he needs to have differenciated materials ready for him to do instead of listening to the lecture for that topic.

I know that is vague, but maybe if you have more thoughts about his area of strength I could think about it more.

Last edited by howdy; 09/09/15 03:05 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations