Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    And I hesitate to mention it... but.. has anyone here heard of "Miranda Sings"?

Oh yes. sigh. My 12 year old and her friends all love to imitate Miranda. I finally joined in because there was no escaping it.

LAF Offline
    This thread is making me feel so much better. My kids are surrounded by a lot of very smart kids at their school (and their parents) and so what they do most of the time doesn't seem all that different to me and I keep doubting the test results. The bingeing though.. geez. Currently I live in a world of Steven Universe binge that ended up in a trip to the National History Museum to learn all about gemstones, the hardness of various gemstones, do we have a book on gems, etc. Also lots of drawings of new gem characters based on actual gemstones that are not characters in the animated series.

We went on vacation and my DD8 came home and began building the hotel where we stayed in Minecraft.

She also found some show on Youtube called Life Hacks for Kids (great crafty show for girls) where she made dog biscuits with flour and babyfood, iPhone radio speakers out of toilet paper rolls, etc.

We have not discovered Miranda Sings.

LAF Offline
    Okay I just googled Miranda Sings.. oh wow. She's hilarious.

My DD8 currently loves a youtube show called Katherine & Rachel.

My DD likes YouTube for Rhett and Link sketches, Paint songs and Jeromeasf and thediamondminecart videos and plays survival craft on her iPad. She still occasionally has flashes of profound insight and held her own amongst kids up to two years older at a recent CTY camp.

Last edited by madeinuk; 08/16/15 03:22 AM.

Become what you are
    N
    N
    My ds12 and my dh have recently binged on the shows Psych and Warehouse 13. Monk is another favorite. Other than that, he shows absolutely no signs of being gifted, has no obsessions, and hates to read. Drives me crazy.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by staceychev
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    FWIW, I'm passing along the youtube cupcake link to my youngest dd - she and her group of very intelligent bright young girlfriends are all about cupcakes smile

Oh, no. IHasCupquake is her username, but she's not about cupcakes. She plays Minecraft and other games. Very occasionally, she bakes cookies.

DS9 watches her gaming videos, as well as many other youtubers who make videos about minecraft and other games. His obsession is definitely gaming.

M
    M
    This thread is so reassuring! At the moment my dd11 is mindlessly obliterating her entire Minecraft world by filling everything with TNT and blowing it up. (And no, she's not normally so destructive.) But it's so mindless, I can't believe this is what a gifted kid would choose to do with her time. I guess I had more choices to do unsupervised things outside when I was a kid -- and I doubt that they were very "intellectual" either!

I
    I
    Originally Posted by MomC
    it's so mindless, I can't believe this is what a gifted kid would choose to do with her time. I guess I had more choices to do unsupervised things outside when I was a kid -- and I doubt that they were very "intellectual" either!
    There are things to enjoy vicariously online, which may more closely resemble stuff kids did on their own in past decades and generations. On the prufrock press website, I recently came across their blog which mentions "Free, Astounding Science Videos Perfect for Summer Learning".

Possibly also fun as enrichment and after schooling. I've watched several of the Smarter Every Day videos and find them very interesting. However parents may wish to preview or watch them with their kiddos as there are some presentations which are definitely in the "do not attempt this at home" category. Like most free things, there are ads. The audiobooks sound interesting. Some of the videos may provide inspiration for science fair projects or research reports.

If the OP's question about acting gifted indicated wondering about the level of internal motivation for initiating a new interest, possibly all that's needed is a spark of variety like this?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM