Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 303 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    DD10 was tested at age five with the WJ-Cog, and tests in the upper HG range (99.9%). She's in CTY (verbal) and in the gifted pull-out at her school. She's an amazing artist and can draw better than most adults. But, other than major sensitivities, to the point where I sometimes wonder if she's got mild Asperger's, I feel like she doesn't act like an HG kid. If I let her, she'd just watch YouTube videos of IHasCupQuake all day, with the occasionally foray into whatever current craft obsession that she also learned on YouTube (right now it's needle-felting).

I'm wondering if I have done something wrong as a parent, but she just doesn't seem to have much curiosity about the world. Has school done this to her? Is it puberty? Is it mid-August doldrums? Should I be exposing her to more?

Sigh.

Stacey. Former high school teacher, back in the corporate world, mom to 2 bright girls: DD12 & DD7.
    At this age, DD mostly "acted" gifted in these brief flashes. Mostly, she was a moody adolescent girl first, and a PG person second. But it was always in there, and it's the foundation of who and what she is, and what drives her.

Obsessive interests are how it usually came out during the tween years-- she'd BINGE on information. Sometimes it wasn't what I wished she'd binge on. Pokemon and online RPG, for example-- but the rate at which she attained mastery, that was still the "tell" for her high LOG.

It's just that she didn't have adult TASTES. LOL.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Awesome response, HK. Totally puts my mind at ease. The bingeing is right on.

Stacey. Former high school teacher, back in the corporate world, mom to 2 bright girls: DD12 & DD7.
    Hi,mine started out curious about anything factual but after discovering animal jam,minecraft,and youtube videos about silliest things they could come up with,she has wandered there and stayed there,along with her gifted friend and not so gifted friends.I thought she would mature herself out of it,but those people who narrate the videos are a lot older.

Last edited by atticcat; 08/17/15 08:49 PM. Reason: Decided it's not so bad
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks, Atticat.

It's really reassuring to know that I'm not alone! Same stuff: Animal Jam, Minecraft, Club Penguin, YouTube... the only saving grace of YouTube is sometimes she watches instructional videos and not gameplay vids.

E
    E
    Two gifted tweens in this house: bingeing is the name of the game.

Then suddenly they'll surprise me by knowing something non-pop-cultural, and I think "whew!"

I recently discovered DS12 can pretty much label every country on the globe. No idea where he got that--he says he becomes curious about things and just "looks 'em up." Wouldn't be surprised if there is a connection to Minecraft in there, somewhere. I don't ask questions, just relieved they aren't completely vegetating.

P
    P
    I think that there's a stereotypical expectation out there re what highly intellectually gifted people/kids act like, but the truth is - every child, every person, is an individual. My teen ds has friends who are in programs where you have to test above 98/99th percentile, and there are very few examples among them of kids who approximate the stereotypical expectations. They are all charming and amazing and bright young people, but they are also in many ways simply typical teenagers. I've also met kids who seem to be extremely high IQ based on behavior... who aren't.

As the saying goes.. you can't judge a book by it's cover smile

polarbear

G
    G
    What a relief to hear these responses! DD10 is obsessed with Minecraft videos (Pat and Jen, anyone???), and learning about Microsoft, of all things. She knows more history about Microsoft than an employee of the place. She is really into old Apple info as well - loves old Apple advertisements!! Yesterday I found her poring over Youtube videos from a guy who experiments with destroying IPhones... I showed her the "Today I Found Out" site, and she does look at that occasionally so she is getting in some good stuff.

S
    S
    If binge watching icarley and a deep love of shoes makes you HG my nine year old is there;)!

T
    T
    If there's something wrong with fads of craft obsession via youtube, I don't want to be right.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM