Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Originally Posted by Ivy
    Because in a group, there can really only be one leader! So self-organizing ensures that the kids learn team work (hello, teamwork camp) but not that they will learn leadership.

Disagree. That notion of rigid hierarchical management doesn't often work well in the real world. Optimal results are usually achieved by teams that can dynamically, often subconsciously, pass the leadership baton among the various members, at the appropriate times. And here again, that appears to be the sort of thing the camp is attempting to achieve.

For example, here we are, parents of gifted children, ultimately in charge, but "child-led" is a common theme on this forum, and the connotation is positive.

I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    Well, I see your point, but I guess I don't think the dynamics of middle school are going to reflect this without some guidance. Middle school really is more Lord of the Flies.

Anyway, I apologize. I didn't mean to derail the larger discussion.

Originally Posted by suevv
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Put me in the column of parents here who support the notion that leadership skills are best developed organically.

In fact if they aren't learned organically, they aren't learned at all. And I don't think this is an issue for kids only, or for leadership only.

This is why - at work - I want to poke my eyes out in order to avoid "career development" classes on mushy things like leadership, management, teamwork, mentoring, trust, women's issues and all the related Dilbert stuff. I have to do these "mandatory" classes all the time. I can honestly say I've never applied a single thing I "learned" in them. They are artificial, useless and profoundly irritating.

To the extent it's useful for your daughter - let her know that it's not just her!

Oh, I don't know. I still vividly recall one HazMat training session in which our "trainer" proudly proclaimed that he was a TERRIBLE multi-tasker, but that he felt that his tunnel vision was a real strength. shocked No forest in HIS trees, thank-you-very-much.

This was a real epiphany for me at the time. No-- not that it made me respect him (every PhD in that room-- which was most of us) basically was hiding the fact that we had all just SNORTED in unison), but that it made me realize that he was serious. He really felt that this made him a superior being to those of us "big picture + details" people.

I'm guessing that "leadership skills" probably don't mean the same things to all people, either.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
    Organically learning... do you mean people somehow just figure out how to be good leaders by trial and error? I would submit that that isn't necessarily so.

Not just trial and error, but observation and direct experience from the other end, too. You can observe others in leadership positions, see how effective their methods appear to be, and see if that's something that might be effective for you. And when you're being led, what factors make you want to follow this leader? Which ones make you want to ignore them?

Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
    IMO, there's some good research that can help us make sense of some of the "soft stuff." I say this having had both hands-on learning experiences and camps/courses/books that supplemented those experiences.

I agree, I just think it needs to be handled differently when presented to 12yos, because this is an age group where rebellion and hormonal changes are beginning in earnest, and social skills are definitely in the "emerging" state. It would probably be best to teach this age group leadership skills without explicitly saying so.

I agree.

Labmom, I'd try to view this entire experience as a learning experience for both you and your DD. It's good that you rescued her from a situation that was beyond her ability to manage/fix, but also (maybe?) some good can come from her having seen and experienced it.

This is where I've encouraged DD to go Jane Goodall with other human beings and group dynamics. She winkled out what that mean girl dynamic was all about in all its guises rather quickly by doing that. That's been an ENORMOUSLY valuable thing for her. That really has made for great leadership skills for her. smile

L
    Labmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thought this was apropos timing from the Davidson Facebook site just now:

http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10674.aspx

C
    C
    Wow that outline is great...so if those things were being taught and modeled in a club, or organization, or group with a mission, task, or project that everyone was invested in...then perfect.

So scouts, robotics, environmental or civic group, charity, or work committee...perfect places to work on these things. Even family meetings planning something.

This is where I gratuitously mention 4-H. wink

C
    C
    How could I forget 4H?!

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Cookie
    So scouts, robotics, environmental or civic group, charity, or work committee...perfect places to work on these things. Even family meetings planning something.

And Destination Imagination.

C
    C
    And FFA if you're in a school district that offers it.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM