Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 303 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Hello all,

I'm looking for some collective wisdom. My older child is fascinated by series and sets/set theory (ze's been reading "The Cat in Numberland" and loving it). My knowledge of sets/theory is based primarily on my seventh grade "honors" math class in which the teacher was prone to telling stories about how to capture bats, should one accidentally come into your house. So I am not a great, or even good, source.

Does anyone have any experience with finding a tutor who has an extremely deep knowledge of a particular subject (e.g., set theory), but who also can handle a six year old (who, for example, thinks that bathroom humor is HILARIOUS)? How do I even start?

All thoughts/insights/experiences/warnings welcome - thanks!

I
    I
    There are lots of resources online, many of them free, which you might use as a parent to guide your child through his interest on set theory. One geared for kids is by Math Is Fun. Others are more advanced, such as Khan Academy. The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy contains a rather thorough overview of set theory, by Joan Bagaria, dated October, 2014... as well as in-depth coverage of specific topics such as continuum hypothesis (see the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy index for the letter S).

R
    rac Offline
    R
    At least you know all about catching bats! More seriously, it might be difficult finding someone good with young kids and good at math. Maybe a teacher leading a math club at a local school?
    I think I am going to get that book for my DS5 - he was wondering about the concept of infinity a few weeks ago and might enjoy it!

D
    D
    I have had good luck with emailing the AP calc teacher at the local high school for tutors.
    The other thing I would try is the local community college, the thing I find is that people who love their topic are always happy to find time to help a younger person who is interested.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    spaghetti, Portia, & daytripper75: Thanks for the thoughts, I will follow up with both. I am actually in an immense metropolitan area with multiple Mathnasiums, community colleges, Universities, no math circles for the right age group (sadly), and an ARML team. [Have I given away my location?] I will definitely follow a few of those leads and see where I end up.

indigo: Thanks for the links! I will have to check them out.

rac: As I understand it, the primary tool is a tennis racket, which you swing at the bat until the bat is trapped between the racket and the wall. You have to move the racket fast enough to catch the bat, but gently enough that you don't splatter the bat. Unfortunately, I don't recall what you're supposed to do once you have the bat trapped behind the racket.

We actually all love that book. My younger child adores the pictures of the personified numbers. My older child loves the concepts (and the pictures, I suspect). I love the fact that we can all read about something interesting together.

squishys: !! Was the tutor something that your school supplied? Or did she just arrive, like Mary Poppins? No chance you live in a large metropolitan area in the U.S. ("maths"), eh? How absolutely wonderful for your child.

Thanks for the input, everyone (and sorry for the late reply, it's been a hectic month).

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations