spaghetti, Portia, & daytripper75: Thanks for the thoughts, I will follow up with both. I am actually in an immense metropolitan area with multiple Mathnasiums, community colleges, Universities, no math circles for the right age group (sadly), and an ARML team. [Have I given away my location?] I will definitely follow a few of those leads and see where I end up.

indigo: Thanks for the links! I will have to check them out.

rac: As I understand it, the primary tool is a tennis racket, which you swing at the bat until the bat is trapped between the racket and the wall. You have to move the racket fast enough to catch the bat, but gently enough that you don't splatter the bat. Unfortunately, I don't recall what you're supposed to do once you have the bat trapped behind the racket.

We actually all love that book. My younger child adores the pictures of the personified numbers. My older child loves the concepts (and the pictures, I suspect). I love the fact that we can all read about something interesting together.

squishys: !! Was the tutor something that your school supplied? Or did she just arrive, like Mary Poppins? No chance you live in a large metropolitan area in the U.S. ("maths"), eh? How absolutely wonderful for your child.

Thanks for the input, everyone (and sorry for the late reply, it's been a hectic month).