Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    AvoCado Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Here Downunder, schools don't really start teaching science until about age 11 - give or take a few units that seem to be predominantly about climate change for some reason.
    DD8 however is extremely interested in science (she wants to be a particle physicist - as well as a cowgirl) but has vowed to never mention any of her STEM interests at school because she's a girl (I know, yikes!).
    I have been bleating about this to the school for two years, and finally one teacher has asked if there are any websites DD can work on by herself during class time. All I can think of is BrainPop and Ted Ed - mostly we encourage her interests with clubs (Makerlab and astronomy club) or with sneaking into random homeschooling classes or with books.
    Any suggestions?! I don't care too much about her making any progressions through a curriculum or anything like that, I just want it to be a) easy for her to navigate through herself, with appropriate content, b) cool and interesting. Mostly I want her to feel that it's ok to be a girl at school interested in STEM so something that causes as few hiccups as possible for her, the teacher and the class would be great, otherwise it could all be given up on.
    This same teacher mentioned doing an official science course via correspondence during class time but her boss made a sour lemon face at that so I'm not holding my breath smile This school has no gifted program, no one trained in gifted education, doesn't even stream, so this is a real baby-step situation
    Thanks!

A
    A
    1. phet: https://phet.colorado.edu/

2. Khan academy physics: https://www.khanacademy.org/science/physics

If her physics interest persists and she wants more advanced material
    3. MIT open courseware: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/

What is to give light must endure burning.
    I
    I
    You've received great responses above. I'll just add what PhET means, in case anyone is curious:
    The name "PhET" was originally an acronym for "Physics Education Technology." However, the PhET site now includes simulations about many other subjects besides physics, so the acronym is too limited. The PhET team decided to keep the name because it is so widely recognized, but now it's just a name that doesn't stand for anything.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    3. MIT open courseware: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/
    Some MIT physics lectures are no longer at that site but can be accessed elsewhere: Walter Lewin Lectures on Physics.

B
    B
    Open Yale Courses (physics)
    with accompanying book "Fundamentals of Physics: Mechanics, Relativity, and Thermodynamics (The Open Yale Courses Series)" (2013) by R. Shankar

S
    S

This would only be introductory videos for purposes of kicking off a topic - but have you seen the Physics Girl videos on youtube? (And related blog that could be a useful next step). Here is her latest on "What Are Quarks?":
    Good/fun teaching that doesn't dumb things down.

I'm not a physicist, but I do have science training, and I haven't spotted any inaccuracies. Plus, I believe she has a degree in physics from MIT, so probably a decent source.

Sue

A
    AvoCado Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thank you SO much everyone, cool stuff there (and good timing, Suevv, DD has just been getting excited about quarks and explaining some of their curiosities to DH - hilarious)
    Cheers everyone

B
    B
    Thanks to Portia for the fabulous lists. DS watched the ancient computer this morning and was fascinated by it.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent