Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #218347 06/16/15 05:48 AM
    K
    kjs Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K

I posted a few months ago in the Parenting and Advocacy group. Hello again!

My son took the WISC-IV test a little over a month ago and long story short, we've had a hard time getting the results.

Right after he took the test, the tester scored it and slid the papers under the door as we were having a session with his psychologist. The psychologist would not give me the papers with my son there and said he didn't want my son to know what score he got (like I haven't learned how to look at things privately, lol). He said he would write a letter to go with the scores and had me self-address an envelope so he could mail them.

5 weeks and many phone calls later, we have not gotten these results. His "typist" was supposed to write up a letter and send it and the results to me I guess, but that never happened and I have never seen said typist. Yesterday we went in for an appt. and the psychologist handed me two envelopes. I assumed at least one was some detailed results but they are 2 copies of the one letter citing my son as scoring in the "High Superior" range with no other details.

Who can I get to light a fire under this guy's butt so I get some detailed answers? What does "High Superior" mean?

Thanks!

kjs #218348 06/16/15 06:08 AM
    C
    C
    This was included in our WISC-IV write up. It doesn't mention "High Superior" so I'm not sure if it is worth anything. This is the Canadian version so maybe "High Superior" was lost when they translated it - ha ha.

Very Superior 130 and above 98-99.9th
    Superior 121-129 92-97th
    High Average 111-120 77-91st
    Average 90-110 25-75th
    Low Average 80-89 9-23rd
    Borderline 70-79 2-8th
    Impaired 69 and below 2 and below

I will note that the first time we tested it took several weeks (I'm going to say something like 7 but I'd have to dig it up to be sure). It was a painful wait but in the end the 14 page report was worth it. We retested with the same person and it was only a couple weeks the second time around.

I don't have any fire lighting tips but good luck!

Last edited by chay; 06/16/15 06:10 AM.
    kjs #218350 06/16/15 06:58 AM
    K
    kjs Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thanks for that! So I wonder if he meant Very Superior. It just makes me mad that the results were right there and he wouldn't let me have them, and now it seems nobody can find them. I wish I'd gotten the name of the tester, I'd try to find him and contact him directly.

kjs #218352 06/16/15 07:14 AM
    I
    I
    Did you have a written contract with the tester? Anything in writing stating what you would receive for the price you paid? Possibly a statement on their website, in a brochure, etc, to manage your expectations? It would seem that a good strategy/approach would be to hold the psychologist's office accountable to their own policies and statements.

Another approach may be to list out exactly what you are expecting to receive. This might include:
    - All test scores from assessments administered to Xxxxx Xxxxxxx from dates xx/xx/xx to xx/xx/xx, including subtest scores
    - Tester's observations
    - Psychologist's interpretation of test and subtest scores, indicating particular strengths and weaknesses
    - Any diagnoses
    - Recommendations, including further testing, academic placement, instructional differences (IEP), accommodations (504)

You might wish to state that it was your understanding that all this information would be included in the full report, and was included in the price you paid on xx/xx/xx for the assessment processes.

You might wish to describe what you've received so far, the date you received it, what information was contained, what information was NOT contained, and also inquire as to the meaning of "High Superior" (which may also become clear when they send the information you have requested, above).

kjs #218355 06/16/15 07:29 AM
    K
    kjs Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    It was covered by insurance, which was another fiasco. I had to get a referral from my son's pediatrician because he (the psychologist) said insurance would not cover it if the psychologist ordered it. So I assume that all went through because I never had to pay anything for it. Maybe I got a watered down version because I didn't pay for it?

kjs #218357 06/16/15 07:59 AM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    It should not make a difference who paid for it. It is, however, possible that there is some insurance hangup. Someone I know had a child tested through insurance, but the examiner's office mistakenly scheduled the testing without checking for prior authorization--which insurance actually declined! The clinic ended up eating the cost of a comprehensive assessment (including lengthy report), because it was one of their own staff who erred.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    kjs #218358 06/16/15 08:05 AM
    K
    kjs Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Ahh. Well it would be nice if he had told me that, if that is the case. He just handed me the letters and I didn't know what they were until I got home.

kjs #218359 06/16/15 08:10 AM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by kjs
    It was covered by insurance, which was another fiasco. I had to get a referral from my son's pediatrician because he (the psychologist) said insurance would not cover it if the psychologist ordered it. So I assume that all went through because I never had to pay anything for it. Maybe I got a watered down version because I didn't pay for it?
    Two thoughts:

1) Typically a person would receive an Explanation Of Benefits (EOB) from their insurance. This might show the service(s) and amount(s) billed by the healthcare provider, the amount(s) covered by insurance, any amount(s) NOT covered by insurance, any notes by the insurance company such as maximum allowable benefit for the service(s) and/or time periods, etc. You may wish to inquire of your insurance company to receive an EOB for all services rendered between dates xx/xx/xx and xx/xx/xx and/or from Xxxxxxxxx healthcare provider.

2) I am not familiar with a person receiving less than a full report based upon the fees being covered by insurance. However it is possible that insurance may cover assessment for finding LDs only, and may not cover for determining relative strengths such as high IQ measurement which may be understood as giftedness; the tester may have been assessing for LDs. You may wish to contact the psychologist's office stating your expectations (as mentioned in a post upthread), and carefully consider their response.

chay #218360 06/16/15 08:38 AM
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by chay
    This was included in our WISC-IV write up. It doesn't mention "High Superior" so I'm not sure if it is worth anything. This is the Canadian version so maybe "High Superior" was lost when they translated it - ha ha.

Very Superior 130 and above 98-99.9th
    Superior 121-129 92-97th
    High Average 111-120 77-91st
    Average 90-110 25-75th
    Low Average 80-89 9-23rd
    Borderline 70-79 2-8th
    Impaired 69 and below 2 and below

This is just a thought, re another possibility of the meaning of "high superior". One of the testers we've seen referred to the official category names, such as "Superior" and then added a "high" or "low" depending on the range within the category.

It sounds like your communications so far have all been phone calls or in person - I'd suggest writing a brief letter stating specifically what you are requesting, and request that you receive it within 10 business days. If that doesn't produce results, send another written request for a copy of your child's full file - you might have to pay a slight fee for copying it.

Good luck!

polarbear

polarbear #218362 06/16/15 08:47 AM
    I
    I
    Great idea to add a time frame. Also great suggestion on the next steps if needed. smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent