Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    Lanie Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    -edited to delete scores-

We have an IEP meeting coming up in a few days, so I am trying to come into the process with as much information as I can get. I have read that the RIAS scores can tend to run high, even as much as 10 points. I knew she was gifted (why else would I have been pushing the school for so long?) but I am a bit shocked by the CIX, so maybe what I am seeing here is an inflated score?
    The GWR mentions briefly that "a verbal memory measure was administered ... she scored within the average range and struggled significantly with this area in comparison to her other ability measures." I have suspected that she could be 2e, maybe a possibility of processing delay, and had kind of hoped that the school's testing might be able to identify what I haven't been able to put my finger on. So my question is this-- should we seek private testing in the hopes of getting more thorough results? Probably through a WISC-IV? Or should we just wait and see how the IEP meeting goes, how she does in the next year or so with the gifted pull-out program and classroom differentiation?

Last edited by Lanie; 07/13/15 06:47 PM. Reason: Score privacy
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    First, we'll get out of the way the caveat that all of the measures were essentially screening measures. Secondly, yes, the RIAS can skew high.

That being said, you do have some data that suggests a possible 2nd e (even if we assume that the RIAS numbers are slightly inflated).

1. There is a notable difference between her achievement in language arts (high average) and her verbal intelligence (Very Superior/Extremely High).
    2. There is a notable difference between her verbal memory (average) and her verbal intelligence.

Questions:

1. Do you see evidence of language memory or processing difficulties IRL? It sounds like something has made you suspicious in this area.
    2. Was a second exceptionality (LD or other disability) explicitly part of the referral question for this eval? If not, there is no particular reason the school would have included the relevant testing. The finding about verbal memory weaknesses appears to be an incidental one, which was possible mainly, I imagine, because the RIAS has memory screeners on the same form, so they were available for the evaluator to follow up on a clinical observation. Or maybe s/he does them routinely, when using the RIAS.

Suggestions:

1. If you are still unsatisfied with the data on a possible 2e, then it would make sense to pursue a comprehensive evaluation.
    2. There are pros and cons to doing so privately vs through the PS.
    a. PS pros:
    - free
    - more likely to obtain qualitative data from teachers
    - more likely to conduct a classroom observation
    b. private pros:
    - you are the client: evaluators answer your referral questions, which may have to do with areas in addition to strict special education eligibility, which is the focus of school evals, in most cases.
    - sometimes have access to certain test instruments that are too expensive for schools to purchase, especially direct assessments of ADHD and executive function.
    - sometimes have connections to other service providers (if you go through a hospital), such as auditory processing evaluators (audiologists).
    3. One option is to begin with a school-based eval, for the basics (WISC-V and achievement, such as WIAT-III, KTEA-3, or WJIV), then bump up to a clinic-based eval for additional testing, if warranted.
    4. Some prefer to have the entire eval done privately, so it's all completed by the same team.

Disclosure: I'm a school psychologist, so I have a little bias toward beginning with school-based evals. smile

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    L
    Lanie Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks so much for your input. I do suspect 2e, and am unsure whether it's an auditory or language thing. This is all so new to me that I feel clueless, really. If we casually read her the school lunch menu in the morning to see if she wants to pack or buy her lunch that day, she'll grab her head and cry "I didn't hear you! Say it again!" When offering any choices or options I have always had to keep it limited to just a few options and present them slowly and clearly or she will melt down.
    Her teacher says she functions well at school, but focuses so intensely on her writing that she sometimes requires extra time. She has had the ability to read for years, but still resists reading when it is suggested, so we have just never pushed it. I guess we have always just thought "oh, she's smart enough... the pieces will come together eventually." Now I am just concerned that if we don't get answers and look into possible help now, we may miss an important window and do her a real injustice.

The school has given us a Gifted Written Report and we are scheduled to have a GIEP meeting tomorrow afternoon. They began differentiation in the classroom the day after the RIAS was done, and plan to put her in the pull-out program once a week beginning next year. If they claim they have the scores and information they need, how would I even request further testing through the school at this point?

A
    A
    I just wanted to comment on the RIAS. I have also heard that it can run high, but both of my kids had scores that were consistent with later testing (SB-5, WISC-IV, and KBIT-2). So, while it is good to know that it can run high, don't assume that it is high. If you need an exact score or if information from the subtests may be helpful, it's worth getting more testing. I am glad that we obtained more because it was helpful in qualifying for things such as DYS and for getting a good picture of strengths and weaknesses. Whether to get the testing done independently is a separate issue and depends on what you want to learn and how receptive your school district is to outside scores.

Last edited by apm221; 06/01/15 07:31 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent