Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 438 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Eco, this is a better link: http://www.child.tcu.edu/default.asp

I have heard a lot of parents found EMDR to be helpful.

Honestly I do feel stupid. Not that the number is what is significant, but we are talking a standard deviation from what I expected. So many times my intuition about other kids (former students) ended up being correct. I just don't get it.

I have a theory about picture concepts. I had told her to not give the most complicated answer, but the one she thinks most kids would give. So, she went for the absolute simplest response, which was not what the test was looking for. (Psych gave several examples).

It would be so much easier if I could talk about the actual items on test!

Psych said there seemed to be some issues with retrieval. (i.e. on vocab, could use a word properly but not define it and on picture completion could identify missing object but not name it)

Aeh, your thoughts on PSI are interesting. I would love to see how she would do with the figure weights.

Psych said we really need to make sure she has distraction-free zone for homework. She won't go upstairs by herself...so I don't know how that will happen.

So...yeah, it is good that there is some clear direction about steps to take. It is good that she should be able to learn relatively easily but not without effort in the gen ed classroom with her age peers.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by deacongirl
    Honestly I do feel stupid. Not that the number is what is significant, but we are talking a standard deviation from what I expected. So many times my intuition about other kids (former students) ended up being correct. I just don't get it.

If the IQ is accurate--yes--it's perfectly in the "wonderful window" and maybe regular curriculum will be a perfect fit.

I wouldn't discount anxiety (or your intuition), though. I don't know what sorts of behaviors you're seeing that are concerning. When my son was tested at age 7 (and dx'd w depression and GAD), the psychologist wrote into his report that perfectionism and anxiety should be taken into consideration re: his scores. The scores were lower than two years before (by a lot). And lower than they were two years later (by a little). Who knows what the latest test will reveal.

I guess you could focus on whatever concerns you have in the moment, and re-test in the future, if it seems warranted.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    I guess you could focus on whatever concerns you have in the moment, and re-test in the future, if it seems warranted.
    Good advice.

deacongirl, for future reference, it's probably not advisable to make any suggestions on how to take IQ tests, other than relaxing and trying your best. Kids have their own interpretations of "how most kids would answer it", which introduces another variable. And individually-administered tests have some leeway built into them for querying and clarifying examinee responses.

Now on multiple choice standardized testing, I do see the value of that suggestion.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by aeh
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    Good advice.

deacongirl, for future reference, it's probably not advisable to make any suggestions on how to take IQ tests, other than relaxing and trying your best. Kids have their own interpretations of "how most kids would answer it", which introduces another variable. And individually-administered tests have some leeway built into them for querying and clarifying examinee responses.

Now on multiple choice standardized testing, I do see the value of that suggestion.

Yes, I thought I had basically followed the suggestions in the article by Aimee Yermish on Hoagies. Should have stopped while I was ahead. Lesson learned though!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM