Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #216006 05/11/15 06:30 PM
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    Hi there! I couldn't be happier that I found this site and have a place to turn to voice my concerns and my children's accomplishments! I have two DD's, one going into second and one going into first. Both tested into the gifted program at their school and we are very pleased there will be more of a challenge in the classroom for them. Each one has expressed being bored from time to time, but luckily it has not impacted them or their classmates in an outwardly negative way. We have been blessed/lucky to have teachers that recognize their abilities and will challenge them.

Ok, on to my concern. The gifted program at their school has the grades grouped together. This means that next year they will be in the same classroom (1st/2nd) and then again two years after (3rd/4th). While neither is a perfectionist or competitive, I worry that they may feel the need to compete with each other, or even worse, my oldest will feel "less" than her little sister. I do not want my oldest, DD7, to feel her accomplishments or achievements are any less than her sister, even though they will be in the same class. She is very sensitive and can have her feelings hurt rather easily. I do not have our meeting with the teacher for a couple of weeks, and I wondered if any of you might have dealt with a similar situation and how it worked out for you? DD7 is thrilled about the idea of being in the same class together, but I have a feeling that novelty will wear off rather quickly. My DD5, has said she is "kind of happy" with the situation, and I think she thinks her sister will try to boss her around. We'll see I guess.

Some have told me I am thinking too much about this and things will be fine, however, I don't want either of them to have this be a horrible experience for them. I would feel much better if they were in different classes! I am happy for any words of wisdom! Thank you!!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Welcome!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    C
    C
    Welcome.

My son is in a mixed 2nd and 3rd grade classroom doing advanced work. I don't think it's been an issue for anyone.

It may depend on how the classes are structured-- would a highly advanced 2nd grader work with 3rd graders or on their own? In my son's case, he has an individual curriculum for math- and occasionally participates with his class on general topic areas like measurement or graphs. It all occurs in a fairly sensitive manner and we've taught our DS to be humble.

Also, keep in mind, school success (at least in the eyes of other students) is about a lot of things... My DS is reminded of his struggles and his classmates' talents every time the class goes to PE.

I
    I
    Welcome!

There are a number of threads discussing siblings of different ages in the same class.

If sibling rivalry develops, there are a number of threads/resources on that topic as well.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent