Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 400 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C

Both my boys did early entrance into K. It has still been way too easy for them, especially my PG older son. (Haven't had my younger tested yet). They have allowed me to bring in materials for both of them. Especially in math, to keep them engaged.

As far as 1st grade my older son was bored out of his mind. (Younger is starting in the fall with high expectations....)
    Really, there was no reason for him to do 1st grade OR Kindergarten. If I had to choose though I would say do early entrance to K instead of skipping 1st. Like someone said, it will ease them into a real school setting rather than be thrown right into 1st grade where you need to have mastered basic life skills.

Do not hesitate to send him early. Nothing negative has come out of it for us.

T
    T
    We started DS in kinder at 4.5 years against the initial advice of his preschool. Firstly they asked us to get him tested as they said he was unlike any child they had ever come across. When we gave them the psychologists report and advice they no longer said he shouldn't go to school early and came round to the idea. Our choice was made easier because DS really hated the second half of the year of preschool - despite loving it at the beginning of the year when he first started.

He is now at least one year younger that most of the kids in his class but still he is way ahead and very frustrated by this - he just doesn't understand why all the other kids just don't know what he does and why he is on a much higher reading level and maths level than anyone else. He also has problems socially and can't get the other kids to play his very involved rule-based fantasy games. His teacher has already suggested a trial grade skip after one term in kindergarten and by now he can manage it after spending a term getting his hand writing and "classroom manners" up to a decent level.

So I would start early if at all possible because your DS is going to need a lot of accereration one way or another and starting early is an easy way to get that acceleration going. Also bear in mind that these kiddos are quite unusual and early childhood teachers are very unlikely to be aware if their needs once they start formal school.

G
    GGG Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Thank you all. Too tired to reply but I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your replies. Connecting-thanks for the link!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM