Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    #21513 07/29/08 10:06 AM
    Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Friday, Jul. 25, 2008
    MATH WHIZ Boy, 8, Makes Perfect Score on Calculus AP Exam
    By Carol Schorn
    Contributing Writer

Kristin Kirby/Photo Correspondent
    Magnus LaDue, center, is homeschooled by his father Dr. Mark LaDue and mother Dr. Mariana LaDue. Both parents have Ph.D.s in math.

On the day that many high school juniors and seniors were anxiously calling the College Board to find out their scores on the Advanced Placement exams they had taken in May, Mark LaDue was placing the same call for his 8-year-old son, Magnus. Mark was so thrilled with Magnus� results that he called back twice more. Magnus, the youngest person to take the Calculus BC AP test had made a 5 � the highest score possible. Mark and Mariana LaDue , who homeschooled their son, say they made the decision to have Magnus take the exam after he completed instruction in calculus and had mastered the practice exams. Finding a place to take the exam became the next challenge for the family.

Asked how his friends reacted to his remarkable achievement, Magnus replied that he does not have friends other than his parents. Mariana explained that finding friends for the young whiz kid is difficult, and that most of his socializing takes place with her friends� families.

Magnus� remarkable abilities are not confined to mathematics. He also excels at playing the piano. He currently takes lessons with Carol Leone at SMU, and has played at a variety of public venues. Magnus practices four hours each day on a new Steinway piano.

Magnus� talents were evident early on, according to his parents, who said he had learned to read and do addition and subtraction by the age of three. At that time the LaDues, who both have Ph.D.s in mathematics, decided to homeschool their son. Magnus� father quit his job to work with his son. "Magnus is my full-time job" Mark said.

Mark�s role goes far beyond father and teacher. He has set up a Web site about Magnus which boasts of Magnus� mathematical and musical accomplishments. Mark has business cards which give his title as president and CEO of Music Do Love, Magnus� Web site. "I�m very good at advertising him," Mark said.

Mark said he creates his own curriculum for Magnus. He and his wife said they follow their son�s lead, answering his questions and teaching him about whatever subjects he expresses interest in. Magnus is currently teaching himself about knots, using several books as guides.

Mark said his son�s current curriculum does not include English, history, science or foreign languages, as these subjects do not presently interest him.

Although they realize that it is unorthodox, Magnus� parents are pleased with the results.

The 8-year-old has now moved on to more advanced mathematics including linear algebra, differential equations and Mathmatica 6. His parents are hopeful that Magnus can qualify for the American Mathematics Competition in February, 2009, and ultimately earn a spot on the U.S. International Mathematical Olympiad team when he is 10 or 11 years old. The LaDues say they do not plan on sending him to college before age 16 or 17.

In the meantime, the family is looking at various university summer programs.

Mark says that he is also negotiating with Fort Worth Country Day School to provide a specialized educational program for his son in conjunction with Stanford University.

When Mariana suggested the name Magnus for their baby, its Latin meaning � great � was not lost on Mark and he readily agreed.

His motto, which appears on both the Web site and his business cards, is "When we combine Mathematics and Music with Love, the possibilities are endless."

http://cbs11tv.com/local/Mozart.mathematical.Prodigy.2.779538.html

Any thoughts???

C
    cym Offline
    C
    "His parents are hopeful that Magnus can qualify for the American Mathematics Competition"

Umm--I would think so! How cool that he has math whizzes at home to nurture his abilities. I feel so sorry for my DS because I'm definitely more "mathy" than DH and while I'm able, I'm no whiz.

Originally Posted by Ania
    Mark said his son's current curriculum does not include English, history, science or foreign languages, as these subjects do not presently interest him.

I have mixed feelings about that paragraph. I'm all for child-led education, and I don't have a problem with taking some time off from a subject. But no English, science or history at all?

That's an awful lot to leave out! And those things are vital if a person is to be an educated and contributing citizen of the world. It seems a bit irresponsible to me, at least on its face.

If he's several years ahead in these subjects, then I have less heartburn about taking a break. That's kind of what we're doing with arithmetic, frankly. He's ahead, he's bored with it, we'll approach math from a different tack. But to just say "He's not interested, so we're not doing three major fields of study at all?"

<wrinkling nose>

Meh. Not so much!

Kriston
    I don't have so much of a problem with that.

But this:

"I�m very good at advertising him," Mark said.

Yikes.

Wait, I'm revising my statement. Perhaps it's not so much that don't have a problem with it, I feel each parent dealing with a child's unique learning needs has to make their own decisions.

I will say, he seems a little young to choose a specialization!

The parents are rightly proud of this cool little guy!

The dad seems to be taking it a little far....seems like he may be bleeding into creator parent territory.

I agree, Kriston. While I don't agree with some schools philosphy that you can't advance in one area until you catch up in other areas, I don't agree with excluding education in an area because it doesn't interest the child at the time.

Yeah, it's not what I would do, however, I don't have a Phd.

Originally Posted by incogneato
    Yeah, it's not what I would do, however, I don't have a Phd.

Yeah. And he does have plenty of time to catch up with the other subjects. I just remember loving the classics from the time mom was reading bedtime stories through learning to read them myselves. I can't imagine not including that in an education plan. Btw, I loved math, too; I think of what I would have missed if I applied all my time to math.

What do you think would happen if this child decided tomorrow that he didn't want to do math anymore or even take on a hobby that would take hours away from his work on math? Do you think he would have a choice/say on the subject?

The father seems a little bit over invested.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Originally Posted by Ania
    Mark said his son's current curriculum does not include English, history, science or foreign languages, as these subjects do not presently interest him.

I have mixed feelings about that paragraph. I'm all for child-led education, and I don't have a problem with taking some time off from a subject. But no English, science or history at all?<wrinkling nose>

I totally agree! I think just to be a responsible citizen you need a broad world view and part of this is educating yourself in other cultures, history, and literature. He's obviously a very gifted child, but I don't see the value of allowing a 8 year old to be this specialized. Hopefully he doesn't burn out (or worse). I feel sad that his parents haven't found social outlets for him.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM