Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    I
    Have you considered an AP course? Or studying on his own to take an AP exam? (Here is a link to a post on a related thread: Self-study AP exams)

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Porosenok96 - Good question on "why" they'd want him to re take it, LOL. It's just my districts lack of understanding of acceleration and resistance to it. DS didn't complete the entire course because their approved service provider was awful so I pulled him. But he got enough from the units he did complete plus the accidental teaching for a month they did on it last year. He's probably 1/2 to 3/4 complete on a year course in a months time.

But I don't want to mess with the awesome relationship we've forged this year at his new school. They are fantastic! It's the district not the school level that would fight me on this.

indigo - Doing AP on his own hadn't occurred to me. I wonder if they have AP Earth Science? Maybe I could get the school to let him work on some extra challenging Earth Science during units he already knows.

This is why I love this forum - it gets me thinking in directions I hadn't thought of before and helps me to know I'm not alone smile

B
    B
    I don't think there is AP Earth Science but there is AP Environmental Science. Not sure it's close enough, but he could certainly study for it. In my H.S. Earth Science is a H.S. freshman course, not a college level course.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Momma Bear
    But I don't want to mess with the awesome relationship we've forged this year at his new school. They are fantastic! It's the district not the school level that would fight me on this.
    In this case don't involve the district, if possible. In my experience, if school is willing to do something nice for you, they will do almost anything you ask, but if the district authorities do not know about this -) Ask about the end of the year test, or they can give your DS pretests before each chapter they teach. If he excels the pretest, he can work independently and learn something new.

G
    G
    indigo - Doing AP on his own hadn't occurred to me. I wonder if they have AP Earth Science? Maybe I could get the school to let him work on some extra challenging Earth Science during units he already knows.

There is no AP Earth Science test, and the environmental studies is very far afield from what most would consider Earth Science (rock cycle, plate tectonics, earth history). Sadly, few high schools offer a college-track Earth Science class either. However, that has the potential to change as the NGSS include Earth Science as a college-track class.

Consider a community college Earth Sci class if a higher level earth science is the goal. Things like MOOCs are out there, and many are of high quality, but none can replace the hands on aspect of geology: the rocks. I'd be happy to vet any course you do find, though, if that's a help.

I
    I
    Doing AP on his own hadn't occurred to me. I wonder if they have AP Earth Science?
    The current list of AP offerings is in the link in this post up-thread.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by geofizz
    NGSS
    Did you know... NGSS is actually more common core standards, as read from the Common Core website:
    Are there plans to develop common standards in other areas in the future?

CCSSO and NGA are not leading the development of standards in other academic content areas. Below is information on efforts of other organizations to develop standards in other academic subjects.
    •Science: States have developed Next Generation Science Standards in a process managed by Achieve, with the help of the National Research Council, the National Science Teachers Association, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science. More information about this effort can be found here .
    •World languages: The American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages published an alignment of the National Standards for Learning Languages with the ELA Common Core State Standards. More information about this effort can be found here .
    •Arts: The National Coalition for Core Arts Standards is leading the revision of the National Standards for Arts Education. More information about this effort can be found here .
    Emphasis added.

B
    bbb Offline
    B
    We got our school to subject accelerate by having our student take the ACT early through Northwestern U center for talent development. They were blown away by his scores (college ready). We chose not to grade accelerate due to him being 2e-but that may have been a mistake.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM