Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
My DS11 is bored and capable of SO much more! Background.... He goes to public school and there he is accelerated by one year in science & social studies, and accelerated by two years (starting in a week) in math. Not that I buy into all the testing they are doing, but winter benchmarking had him more than meeting proficiency in the two subjects he's accelerated by one year already. I got tired of the slow pace in math so I started him at home on pre-algrebra and he's almost finished with it. According to him, "its easy". When he was 9, he took his first high school class (at home/no credit with the school system) and loved it.

My problem? I'm running out of things he can do to keep his mind busy. This year at home he's completed 2 computer coding classes, beginning typing, is working on intermediate typing, will complete pre-algebra and move to algebra in about 2 weeks.

My district won't let him take any quality high school classes for credit. Could I just by pass that and have him take some college classes? If so how would I go about that? The boredom is starting to translate into laziness and I don't want him to have that as a work ethic.
Originally Posted by Momma Bear
My district won't let him take any quality high school classes for credit. Could I just by pass that and have him take some college classes? If so how would I go about that? The boredom is starting to translate into laziness and I don't want him to have that as a work ethic.
You can try MOOC, or your main goal is to have credits?
I've considered a MOOC for him, but it doesn't help his boredom at school. Don't get me wrong, this year is 1000 times better than last year - supportive principal, qualified teachers and DS is socially happy. He's just still being presented material at too slow of a pace in many subjects. If he could take a college level class on the subject he needs next, maybe my district would then let him move forward at a more rapid pace in those subjects.
I'm going to have to look up "The Little Book" series, he might love that! Thanks smile
I've considered a MOOC for him, but it doesn't help his boredom at school. He's just still being presented material at too slow of a pace in many subjects. If he could take a college level class on the subject he needs next, maybe my district would then let him move forward at a more rapid pace in those subjects.
So, you want him to take a college level class online while at school, instead of school work? What subject you have in mind?
When he was 9, he took his first high school class (at home/no credit with the school system) and loved it.
Maybe he can do this again, or your school district changed their policy?
It's for science. Next year is Earth Science. Well.... they accidentally taught him Earth Science for a month last year, during which time he completed a semesters worth of work, before they realized they were teaching him the wrong subject. Don't ask - that's a whole other story, LOL. They had also given him permission to take Earth Science independently through one of their providers. So we tried it but the provider was so sub-standard we had to drop it after 2 units. Wrong information, wrong answers, didn't have a clue how to do distance learning. So next year, he'll have really already taken most of that subject.

No they haven't changed their policy, but I thought maybe if it was a college level class they would look at it and realize that he could skip another level. I'm just thinking ahead and trying to avoid boredom that will lead to problems.
You might want to check state law. Things are changing fast. Here, it used to be you had to have three HS science classes before being eligible for college courses. Now, due to a change in state law, with an adequate SAT/ACT score, they actually can't prevent someone from taking college courses.

It's tiring to live in flux, but some of this is real improvement for us.
They had also given him permission to take Earth Science independently through one of their providers. So next year, he'll have really already taken most of that subject.

No they haven't changed their policy, but I thought maybe if it was a college level class they would look at it and realize that he could skip another level. I'm just thinking ahead and trying to avoid boredom that will lead to problems.
If they know that your DS took Earth Science last year, why do they want him to repeat the same subject next year? May be he can pass the end of the year test in this subject and skip it?
What does your school teaches next?
Frankly, I don't think this will make things better from the academic point of view, your DS will still be bored, because the pace will not change. Is homeschooling an option for you?
Originally Posted by DeeDee
You might want to check state law. Things are changing fast. Here, it used to be you had to have three HS science classes before being eligible for college courses. Now, due to a change in state law, with an adequate SAT/ACT score, they actually can't prevent someone from taking college courses.

It's tiring to live in flux, but some of this is real improvement for us.
My experience is the opposite. In my district the rules are becoming MORE strict than than they used to. It used to only be one or two profoundly gifted students and the district was flexible. But it is becoming very popular for some families to push students pushed ahead who aren't really read for it and the district has clamped down. I've never seen a student skipped a grade in my district, the only case I heard of was a student who went to private school until 3rd grade.

In our district you get no CREDIT towards High School graduation from any class taken prior to the fall enrollment your freshman year, except those the district offers. (very limited summer school offerings) This includes college classes. Community colleges do accept students as young as 12 but that's most commonly home schooled kids. My local community collage requires approval from the student's school for enrollment if they are under 18 and don't have a H.S. diploma.
Have you considered an AP course? Or studying on his own to take an AP exam? (Here is a link to a post on a related thread: Self-study AP exams)
Porosenok96 - Good question on "why" they'd want him to re take it, LOL. It's just my districts lack of understanding of acceleration and resistance to it. DS didn't complete the entire course because their approved service provider was awful so I pulled him. But he got enough from the units he did complete plus the accidental teaching for a month they did on it last year. He's probably 1/2 to 3/4 complete on a year course in a months time.

But I don't want to mess with the awesome relationship we've forged this year at his new school. They are fantastic! It's the district not the school level that would fight me on this.

indigo - Doing AP on his own hadn't occurred to me. I wonder if they have AP Earth Science? Maybe I could get the school to let him work on some extra challenging Earth Science during units he already knows.

This is why I love this forum - it gets me thinking in directions I hadn't thought of before and helps me to know I'm not alone smile
I don't think there is AP Earth Science but there is AP Environmental Science. Not sure it's close enough, but he could certainly study for it. In my H.S. Earth Science is a H.S. freshman course, not a college level course.
But I don't want to mess with the awesome relationship we've forged this year at his new school. They are fantastic! It's the district not the school level that would fight me on this.
In this case don't involve the district, if possible. In my experience, if school is willing to do something nice for you, they will do almost anything you ask, but if the district authorities do not know about this -) Ask about the end of the year test, or they can give your DS pretests before each chapter they teach. If he excels the pretest, he can work independently and learn something new.
indigo - Doing AP on his own hadn't occurred to me. I wonder if they have AP Earth Science? Maybe I could get the school to let him work on some extra challenging Earth Science during units he already knows.

There is no AP Earth Science test, and the environmental studies is very far afield from what most would consider Earth Science (rock cycle, plate tectonics, earth history). Sadly, few high schools offer a college-track Earth Science class either. However, that has the potential to change as the NGSS include Earth Science as a college-track class.

Consider a community college Earth Sci class if a higher level earth science is the goal. Things like MOOCs are out there, and many are of high quality, but none can replace the hands on aspect of geology: the rocks. I'd be happy to vet any course you do find, though, if that's a help.
Doing AP on his own hadn't occurred to me. I wonder if they have AP Earth Science?
The current list of AP offerings is in the link in this post up-thread.
Originally Posted by geofizz
NGSS
Did you know... NGSS is actually more common core standards, as read from the Common Core website:
Are there plans to develop common standards in other areas in the future?

CCSSO and NGA are not leading the development of standards in other academic content areas. Below is information on efforts of other organizations to develop standards in other academic subjects.
•Science: States have developed Next Generation Science Standards in a process managed by Achieve, with the help of the National Research Council, the National Science Teachers Association, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science. More information about this effort can be found here .
•World languages: The American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages published an alignment of the National Standards for Learning Languages with the ELA Common Core State Standards. More information about this effort can be found here .
•Arts: The National Coalition for Core Arts Standards is leading the revision of the National Standards for Arts Education. More information about this effort can be found here .
Emphasis added.
We got our school to subject accelerate by having our student take the ACT early through Northwestern U center for talent development. They were blown away by his scores (college ready). We chose not to grade accelerate due to him being 2e-but that may have been a mistake.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum