Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 378 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
    Val Offline
    When I was in college, some survey classes required a lot of memorizing, and rightly so. Introductory biology springs to mind. That said, any good intro biology course should also be digging into the scientific method and what it means, so that students don't think that ALL of biology is about memorizing facts like "C bonds with G" and "the stages of the cell cycle are ...."

On the other hand, some introductory courses should NOT require memorization of any kind (e.g. anything in the humanities). As an example, the study of history is about seeing patterns in events and analyzing what was going on. Forcing students to memorize what year the Whiskey Rebellion happened in detracts from that goal. I majored in history, and never took a single exam that asked for a factoid. Most of my course grades were based on essays, and the few exams I took were based on essay questions. Ditto for English.

But of course, bubble tests are ever so much easier to grade. Especially if you administer them online.

Last edited by Val; 03/17/15 11:21 AM.
    T
    T
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    I saw the second guessing comment in the public vs private thread and it struck a chord with me. I tend to over think and second guess things constantly/periodically, doesn't everyone that isn't a zealot?

I agree with a lot of what Ultramarina and HowlerKarma have said wrt this. I also vividly remember a post by Dude in which he mentioned mentally bringing himself back from a precipice over this.

I my own case, I have a pretty bright daughter that I try to create life enriching opportunities for to the best of my limited ability. She is afterschooled in Maths - is this hot housing? I wonder because sometimes wrestle with this - shouldn't she be able to just through her school bag down when she gets home or should I keep her in her ZPD and avoid her learning that everything is easy so executive skills and study skills wither on the vine of her young life?

She also has 'an ear' and can pretty well tinker with a musical instrument like a recorder, xylophone or keyboard until she can make a passable tune. She also has taught herself to read music and usually just bangs out some stuff, just airs and improvisations for a few minutes on the piano to de-stress a bit when returning home from school. I do not have her in any piano lessons because but by doing that am I a bad parent for not trying to help her develope an obvious aptitude?

Similarly, should I just allow her to 'work thing out on her own' and just deal with life not really relating to her age peers and barely a hand full of grade peers as something of an ugly duckling or should I try to find opportunities for her to mingle with other such ducklings and try to help her to believe that she will soar as a swan one day?

I had her take the Explore and the SCAT tests to try and qualify for some residential classes this summer - am I engineering her life too much or just being loving and supportive parent?

Surely I am not the only one here well into my umpteenth guesses never mind mere second guesses.

You've answered your own question. Hothousers don't try and find balance, they don't second guess themselves, and they would certainly never ever consider the ZPD. Their mantra is more is better, always. If your child can do this, then they need more, no matter what.

Yes, it boils down to second guessing yourself. The closest a hothouser gets to second guessing themselves is worrying that they're not pushing their child hard enough.

T
    T
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    To some extent, soft skills like persistence and risk taking have to be modeled and inculcated more assertively in the gifted set because, frankly, so few challenging opportunities present themselves organically. If academics are the instrument of choice through which they are taught, then so be it. Most children are intrinsically motivated to learn these lessons in sports or extra-curriculars, or find challenge in routine curricula whereas, for many gifties, their passion is more academic.

I think of it this way: if my child had a motor disability that prevented walking, I would coach him until the point of zero marginal benefit to get his skills up to speed. Likewise, I would see myself as depriving my son of necessary soft skills if I didn't ensure he had at least one academic outlet that was challenging. Let me be clear: the academics (or whatever) themselves would be secondary to the goal of learning resilience.

I am, quite frankly, scared of what an "appropriate" challenge will look like as DS gets older. He is a black hole of hunger for information. I fear my brain is turning into a sponge that fills and subsequently empties itself into DS' head. Anything less than a breakneck pace is met with a behavioral regression, so I guess that's an answer-- follow the child until diminishing returns set in (or you collapse, the latter probably first.)

ETA: other potential constraints = you run out of time or money for more activities.

Yes yes yes! I'm so sick of people saying that a child should never be made to work for anything academic. And that goes double for kids who sit at school for six hours a day vegetating. I am the product of that sort of schooling, and you do not want my work ethic. It took many years after school finished for me to figure out that if you didn't understand something instantly there was a way to figure it out. Why do our kids get thrown under the bus just because they're more difficult?

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Val
    On the other hand, some introductory courses should NOT require memorization of any kind (e.g. anything in the humanities). As an example, the study of history is about seeing patterns in events and analyzing what was going on. Forcing students to memorize what year the Whiskey Rebellion happened in detracts from that goal. I majored in history, and never took a single exam that asked for a factoid.
    Maybe you were such a good history student that you absorbed a lot of facts without consciously trying to do so. But in a course on 20th century history, for example, it would be reasonable to expect students which countries were on the Allied and Axis sides, who the leaders of those countries were, what years various countries entered the war, etc. A factoid is "a brief or trivial item of news or information". Many facts are not factoids.

I think the video Roving Reporter: Canada is interesting, although we don't know how random the sample is. Harvard students, and students throughout the U.S., ought to know more stuff. (It troubles me more that Harvard students think various Canadian provinces are cities than that they don't know the capital of Canada.) But at least Harvard Graduates [can] Explain Seasons smile.

OP Offline
    Thanks Bostonian - I will have remember to look that up in a few more years, hopefully they will keep it current going forwards.

Last edited by madeinuk; 03/17/15 11:28 AM.

Become what you are
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    That's a good resource, Bostonian.

I have read up about colleges that have come up here, like Caltech or Reed, or Swarthmore - wouldn't these be the places to go

I went to a college of this type. While I took a few survey courses that were factoid-heavy, it wasn't a lot, and I found many classes that were intellectutally exciting and not at all about rote anything. This was 20ish years ago and I am far from PG, so everyone else's MMV.

When I was teaching less than 15 years ago, this was true, even at institutions of less 'prestige' than DD's current institution.

Times really have changed-- and at the risk of sounding a bit repetitive or as though I have a particular vendetta against it, I do hold Pearson accountable for a large amount of this change. They are behaving a bit like a strangler fig, which one at first might write off as a relatively innocuous epiphytic organism, maybe even a mutually beneficial symbiotic one-- until you realize that it is stealing the core values right out from under you, while that slick facade never slips for an instant.

This is why a college-level health class makes no mention of contraception or STD's, no discussion of adderall abuse or the burgeoning herion problem on college campuses, but DOES include ample doses of corporate-speak from "motivational seminars."

Val and I have both talked about these "automated" homework systems-- in chemistry and in mathematics. They are clunky and, from what I have seen in how students use them-- nearly useless in terms of actual student learning. But they've taken the place of meaningful practice in both subjects. Faculty are "experimenting" with those systems because enrollment numbers are driving it, along with pressure from-- well, from administrators, I guess. I understand the WHY of that quite well. Students have been conditioned (by secondary testing-testing-testing) to accept such shenanigans as normal SOP, and so few of them complain. On the other hand, when a few of them DO complain, and faculty actually ask-- WHOAHHHHHHH, the floodgates OPEN WIDE on the subject. DD's chemistry professor was astonished at the sheer scope of the messed-up that was MasteringChemistry. But he would never have known if I hadn't insisted that she complain about it. She wouldn't have if I hadn't told her that this was flatly MESSED UP-- as a student, she lacked the confidence to know that the answers were sometimes wrong, or that there were formatting errors that shouldn't be there. KWIM?

I don't actually remember studying much for any undergraduate course-- other than for memorization-heavy beasts like O-chem, botany, gross anatomy, etc. Everything else, there was little point-- you either had worked and UNDERSTOOD it, or you certainly weren't going to get there in an overnight cram-fest. I would not have been able to pass the classes that my DD has been in using that approach, one which she also excels at-- being able to rapidly REASON/derive her way to whatever she needs to solve problems on the fly.

It's no wonder to me that this is causing her some existential problems and anxiety.

Back to hothousing-- I don't really see it as hothousing if you aren't attempting to alter-- FORCE, actually-- the child's innate developmental arc.

I also admit that we DID hothouse some very specific skills-- executive skills, mostly.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by Tallulah
    You've answered your own question. Hothousers don't try and find balance, they don't second guess themselves, and they would certainly never ever consider the ZPD. Their mantra is more is better, always. If your child can do this, then they need more, no matter what.

Yes, it boils down to second guessing yourself. The closest a hothouser gets to second guessing themselves is worrying that they're not pushing their child hard enough.

I disagree. It's certainly possible to push your child in harmful ways while having some awareness that it's harmful. Whether the parent is aware of the harm they're causing or not is immaterial.

G
    G
    Originally Posted by MichelleC
    So many great comments, and I’m nodding and saying yes, that, yes, all the way through. And yet, I am still deep in the vacillating second-guessing zone, and pondering the strong message on the thread begun by greenlotus that if the kid didn’t ask for it and doesn’t want to do it, it’s hothousing.

Well, since my name came up, I will make a comment. I have also agonized whether I was "hothousing". There were some pretty strong comments about my daughter's after school math class (which made me want to duck and cover) when I asked if she should continue or not. I have thought even more about after school classes since I posted the question. DD initially wanted this pre algebra math class but later did not want it. We had her continue because we felt she should stick with something she signed up for. But, after all the posts, we decided a compromise was in order. She wants more challenging math next year in middle school but doesn't like this particular math class so she agreed to take an assessment and use Khan Academy to help fill in the gaps before she takes the SSA test. Also, we use the summer to take classes that both DD's choose. I will say, like some others, that if a school did its job correctly, many of us wouldn't be micromanaging his/her child's schooling.
    Another thing - I don't know what schools everyone is discussing, but I went back to grad school in the last few years and found it challenging/enlightening/supportive. Perhaps it's just undergrad that is so awful? My undergrad was very hands on but that was long ago.

HowlerKarma, I'm so sorry to hear your DD is having such a depressing experience in college. I would still like to believe, though, that you are wrong that all colleges are like this now. The best of the small liberal arts colleges, because they *are* small, are able to cling to their own vision of why intellectual pursuits are worth pursuing.

One aspect of the problem is the pressures on professors. Although I wouldn't want to go back to the bad old days of no accountability, we are all now a little too scared of having to justify our evaluations of student performance. A student unhappy with a grade, who believes that you have been unfair or biased or used impossible standards (like requiring them to actually *think*, instead of providing cook-book instructions for how to get an A), can drag you through the university's appeals process and suck up an entire term's worth of your productivity, even if they have no case. Multiple-choice exams for which you have provided "correct" answers during lecture are SO much easier, in terms of lack of blow-back.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by Val
    On the other hand, some introductory courses should NOT require memorization of any kind (e.g. anything in the humanities). As an example, the study of history is about seeing patterns in events and analyzing what was going on. Forcing students to memorize what year the Whiskey Rebellion happened in detracts from that goal. I majored in history, and never took a single exam that asked for a factoid.
    Maybe you were such a good history student that you absorbed a lot of facts without consciously trying to do so. But in a course on 20th century history, for example, it would be reasonable to expect students which countries were on the Allied and Axis sides, who the leaders of those countries were, what years various countries entered the war, etc. A factoid is "a brief or trivial item of news or information". Many facts are not factoids.

You missed my point completely (and...ahem, managed to show that you don't understand how the humanities actually work).

We're talking about college-level classes. The point of a college education is (or these days, should be) to teach students how to THINK, not how to memorize things like the list of axis vs. allied powers. That stuff is way, way, way too trivial for a proper undergraduate class.

Students in a history class should be learning how to assess ideas, relate events and motivations, and put their own thoughts on paper in a coherent way. They should NOT be answering questions like "Which of the following was NOT an Axis power in 1944?" These questions create factoids out of information.

Said another way, you don't get to the part about analyzing the Maginot line without knowing who France was trying to protect itself from and why.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM