Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    Article that caused to me wonder this here...

Just wondering if folks would mind sharing to see if this bears out on this forum...

I'll start: DD's eyes are light blue/grey PSI=low 120s (cannot remember the exact value)

Become what you are
    N
    N
    Interesting. Probably need a large scale study. My older two have been tested and I recall that DD19 had a 94th percentile PSI, and DD17 had a 96th percentile PSI. DD10 has not been tested, but I would guess a similar PSI. All have brown eyes.

However, based upon the study of my three kids, birth weight should increase the earlier a kid is born. Eldest 3 days early 6lbs 3oz, middle 5 days early 6lbs 13oz, youngest 18 days early 7lbs 10 oz. Hence the need for a large scale study.

B
    B
    If that was the case it would seem like entire countries would come across as impaired or advanced with certain things, since some countries have the vast majority of people with brown eyes.

FWIW both my kids have lighter eyes and slower processing (blue/gray and green)

L
    L
    I have two hazel-eyed children. DD's PSI was 99%, and DS's was above 80%.

O
    O
    Interesting. My son has dark brown eyes and a super high PSI.

C
    C
    Well, this is also anecdotal, but DD and DS both have similar-color eyes (light brown/hazel). DD is _very_ pain-sensitive, and DS is almost under-sensitive to pain. So in our case, it doesn't seem related at all to eye color.

Another anecdote - when DS was 2 yrs old, he had a surgery on his eye. While in the recovery room the surgeon came out and said that since DS has red hair he may feel the pain more, and gave him a shot of morphine. Well he never complained about any pain (he usually doesn't unless it's bad), but the morphine made him vomit continually. We had a miserable time until the nurse gave him a shot of Gravol.

(I've no idea of their processing speeds, but I suspect DS's would be low).

C
    C
    Both my sons have blue eyes (or greenish blue for one and greyish blue for the other).

The younger one has super fast processing speed and is at least HG if not PG (I have two different scores).

The other is 2e (mild autism) and his processing speed isn't in the toilet but is significantly low for him. In fact it is the only accommodation he needs on his 504...is that sometimes he needs more time. 98% of the time he is fine. Just every once in a while he is just slower.

Last edited by SFrog; 01/21/15 02:48 PM. Reason: not a worthwhile thread to post in
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    If that was the case it would seem like entire countries would come across as impaired or advanced with certain things, since some countries have the vast majority of people with brown eyes.

Agreed. It's also worth noting that the same protein which pigments the eye also pigments the skin.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Does anyone else think that research done in Louisville, KY on eye color might be confounded by the history of race relations in the USA?

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM