Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Article that caused to me wonder this here...

Just wondering if folks would mind sharing to see if this bears out on this forum...

I'll start: DD's eyes are light blue/grey PSI=low 120s (cannot remember the exact value)
Interesting. Probably need a large scale study. My older two have been tested and I recall that DD19 had a 94th percentile PSI, and DD17 had a 96th percentile PSI. DD10 has not been tested, but I would guess a similar PSI. All have brown eyes.

However, based upon the study of my three kids, birth weight should increase the earlier a kid is born. Eldest 3 days early 6lbs 3oz, middle 5 days early 6lbs 13oz, youngest 18 days early 7lbs 10 oz. Hence the need for a large scale study.
If that was the case it would seem like entire countries would come across as impaired or advanced with certain things, since some countries have the vast majority of people with brown eyes.

FWIW both my kids have lighter eyes and slower processing (blue/gray and green)
I have two hazel-eyed children. DD's PSI was 99%, and DS's was above 80%.
Interesting. My son has dark brown eyes and a super high PSI.
Well, this is also anecdotal, but DD and DS both have similar-color eyes (light brown/hazel). DD is _very_ pain-sensitive, and DS is almost under-sensitive to pain. So in our case, it doesn't seem related at all to eye color.

Another anecdote - when DS was 2 yrs old, he had a surgery on his eye. While in the recovery room the surgeon came out and said that since DS has red hair he may feel the pain more, and gave him a shot of morphine. Well he never complained about any pain (he usually doesn't unless it's bad), but the morphine made him vomit continually. We had a miserable time until the nurse gave him a shot of Gravol.

(I've no idea of their processing speeds, but I suspect DS's would be low).
Both my sons have blue eyes (or greenish blue for one and greyish blue for the other).

The younger one has super fast processing speed and is at least HG if not PG (I have two different scores).

The other is 2e (mild autism) and his processing speed isn't in the toilet but is significantly low for him. In fact it is the only accommodation he needs on his 504...is that sometimes he needs more time. 98% of the time he is fine. Just every once in a while he is just slower.
Originally Posted by blackcat
If that was the case it would seem like entire countries would come across as impaired or advanced with certain things, since some countries have the vast majority of people with brown eyes.

Agreed. It's also worth noting that the same protein which pigments the eye also pigments the skin.
Does anyone else think that research done in Louisville, KY on eye color might be confounded by the history of race relations in the USA?
Originally Posted by aeh
Does anyone else think that research done in Louisville, KY on eye color might be confounded by the history of race relations in the USA?

Yes. The comment about pale-skinned people being better strategic thinkers is troubling and has no basis in reality. I highly doubt the credibility of this research.
Please tread carefully with this topic. It is only tangentially related to giftedness to begin with, and seems to be heading in an inappropriate direction. I will lock this thread if it keeps going that way.
This article dings my BS meter. It sounds like it was written by someone who didn't understand their source materials.
Sounds a bit dodgy. Both my kids have processing speeds > 99.9 percentile. One has dark brown eyes and one pale blue grey eyes. I would say the dark eyed one is more impervious to pain but that is probably sensory issues.
To comment more in the direction of this forum, I believe "research" like this is a misuse of cognitive measurement and does a disservice to anyone who struggles to advocate for a child who's an outlier of any type. The article was also extremely shallow and contributes to the culture of misunderstanding about testing and intelligence.

We get enough accusations of elitism.
Originally Posted by aeh
Really? Its the location that bothers you?
dd has grey eyes, slow psi 70% ish
Originally Posted by Ivy
To comment more in the direction of this forum, I believe "research" like this is a misuse of cognitive measurement and does a disservice to anyone who struggles to advocate for a child who's an outlier of any type. The article was also extremely shallow and contributes to the culture of misunderstanding about testing and intelligence.

We get enough accusations of elitism.

One problem is that the testing isn't really quite measuring the right thing to begin with.

You are really trying to determine developmental arc, which is probably only partially correlated to IQ.
Originally Posted by ultramarina
This article dings my BS meter. It sounds like it was written by someone who didn't understand their source materials.

Yeah...I think they said there's more melanin in the brains of people with darker eyes - I haven't seen many brains lately, but last time I checked they were all the same color...
It's that darned tryptophan metabolite phenomenon.

Pesky biogenic amine names all sound the same-- though melanin isn't melatonin. And neither one of them is serotonin or norepinephrine or adrenaline, either. Darn, darn, darn. Guess the Nobel committee isn't going to be calling on this one any time soon.

© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum