Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 401 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #208714 01/11/15 09:55 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I just enrolled my dd (3rd grader) this morning and selected the 3rd grade level independent math course. I'm concerned about possible gaps and I thought 3rd grade would be a good starting point. So far it's really REALLY easy for her. If she gets everything right will it move her up automatically to higher level math? If so, how long does that take? I don't want her to get bored with it but I really want to make sure she has all her 3rd grade math skills down. Also, we're in a bit of a disagreement with her G&T teacher over using Ten Marks in dd's class for math and I'm hoping that if EPGY works for dd she'll be open to using it as a replacement for Ten Marks for dd. So I feel I should have dd show mastery in all the 3rd grade math skills before moving to 4th grade. Just wondering how long that will take... number of minutes/hours that takes.

I'd ask EPGY but there chat feature is closed today.

Last edited by mountainmom2011; 01/11/15 09:56 AM.
    L
    L
    They USED TO have a gifted setting. Does anyone know if they still have that since Redbird Learning became involved? If they do, that might help a bit.

EPGY doesn't seem to be the right fit for my DD9. Like you, we signed up in 3rd (she's in 4th now) and I kept making adjustments, but she still lost interest in it. I had the "gifted" setting added, which is supposed to help with repetition. Finally, I bumped up her grade a few times. DD no longer wants to use it, and is using AoPS for enrichment now. I doubt that we'll renew with EPGY when the time comes.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Does AOPS have an online program like EPGY? Dd's teacher is so stuck on using Ten Marks because of its ease of use for teachers (reports and assigning) that I need something similar in hopes that she'll be open to letting dd use it.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Ok, I found how to advance half a grade level so I may try that.

Mountainmom2011, I just sent you an e-mail.

L
    L
    AoPS has Alcumus, which is online and free once your child has registered.

If you go to Reports and click on Concepts Summary you can see how many of each type of problem the program is giving her. (She may not have a lot of data yet but it still might be interesting to look at.)

I think we use the gifted setting, or at least I know we did before they moved to giftedandtalented.com. On this setting, there are 4 problems of each type given and if the student gets none wrong, it moves on to a new concept. If the student gets one wrong, the program gives one or more additional problems beyond 4. So when I look at my daughter's Concepts Summary, I see many concepts where she was given only 4 problems, then a smattering of 5s, 6s, and 7s, and a handful of higher numbers (like a 16 somewhere- not sure what was going on there.)

The Grade Placement Trajectory will show you how quickly she's moving through the 3rd grade level and will give a current grade level placement in each of 6 categories: Number Sense: Integers, Number Sense: Decimals and Fractions, Geometry, Logic and Reasoning, Measurement, Data/Statistics/Probability. It also shows the total minutes and total number of sessions she's completed, so that should give you a good idea of how quickly she's moving through the grade level.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations