Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 315 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    Careena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Here's Situation...DS10,Gifted, Anxiety,ADHD,Depression. This school year 2014-15 and with the agreement of his 4th grade teacher I started homeschooling my DS. He has been extremely anxious at school (a very small private school) for over a year. I had to negotiate with him on a daily basis to get him to go/stay everyday. Now that he's home he is progressing rapidly through his work and is now working in all subjects @ a 2+ year progression. We just finally went through testing (WISC-IV) and are waiting on the report. I'm glad he is doing well now but I am concerned he's not being challenged enough. I am getting really burned out on having him with me 24/7. He still has all of the issues that he had in school but now it's up to me to meet his needs all the time. I hate to admit it, but I am finding myself getting resentful. We are in a very poor/failing/rural school district and my chances for outside help are minimal. I just feel like crying sometimes. I have my issues too, as being diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis a few years ago and I am in pain and exhausted most days. Am I the only one who feels like this? All I seem to read are these wonderful, glowing, parents who talk about the joys homeschooling. I would love to have him in school, with other kids who could be a support to him too. But he prefers to be within a few feet of me most of the time. Even when we go anywhere with his brothers, within an hour he wants to go home, I am stuck. When other parents talk to me about doing it themselves I tell them that it isn't as romantic as they think. I guess I need some moral support. Just my rant for the day. I don't have anyone who understands what it is like to to have such a fierce mind totally dependent on me. Thanks for listening parents!

I think the problem is that you are overwhelmed by having him with you 24/7 and having to meet all of his needs all the time, particularly since you have RA and chronic pain.

So, you are going to need to figure out a way to get some relief from this stress and get someone to help with him, even if it is minimal, or it sounds like you are going to completely smoosh your physical condition, given your RA/pain/fatigue.

For starters, you should probably stop reading stories about wonderful, glowing, parents and the joys of homeschooling.

Careena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Okay, you just made me laugh!

N
    N
    I am certainly no expert but IMO sometimes you have to take some of these homeschooling "success" stories with a grain of salt. I think many don't want to admit how difficult it is and choose to forget the bad times. It's like on these threads you rarely hear a good story about s teacher but you hear about every bad teacher.

Originally Posted by JonLaw
    I think the problem is that you are overwhelmed by having him with you 24/7 and having to meet all of his needs all the time, particularly since you have RA and chronic pain.

Yes.

So, you are going to need to figure out a way to get some relief from this stress and get someone to help with him, even if it is minimal, or it sounds like you are going to completely smoosh your physical condition, given your RA/pain/fatigue.

I say this to you with all love in my heart-- truly-- I've been in your shoes.

If you have your son in someone ELSE's care for a few hours each week, sure, it'll be less than ideal. BUT-- is he at risk of death or permanent damage from those few hours? Truly think and answer carefully. I'll wait.

I thought so. Now-- since you will be getting him back in one piece, start making phone calls. This isn't selfish-- you're doing it so that you have enough respite (and energy) to do this for the long haul. I'd TELL HIM THAT.

For starters, you should probably stop reading stories about wonderful, glowing, parents and the joys of homeschooling.

Yes, again! I gave that up cold turkey in about our 6th month-- er, or maybe it was "week"-- of homeschooling, because it was no picnic for me, that's for sure. grin

Actually, my initial response to your statement was even more harsh than Jon's. It was-- "Laugh-- because they are LYING THROUGH THEIR TEETH, probably because they'd otherwise be crying, because they are writing that blog entry while the older children are doing medical experiments upon the family pets or younger siblings, and the house is in the process of being burned to the ground. Or they are fabulously wealthy and have staff who ACTUALLY attend to their lives because how else do you suppose they have the time to maintain that lovely blog and update it daily about the doings with their twelve homeschooled darlings, hmmm?"

Anyway; in all seriousness-- I'd have given a limb for safe respite care. If you CAN-- you SHOULD.

Sadly, the answer to my question was an emphatic "yes, this would be life-threatening," which is how I wound up spending years and years at the end of my own rope. I do not recommend that.

He still has all of the issues that he had in school but now it's up to me to meet his needs all the time. I hate to admit it, but I am finding myself getting resentful. We are in a very poor/failing/rural school district and my chances for outside help are minimal. I just feel like crying sometimes.

I completely understand-- I wish that I could offer you a gentle hug. I know that it SEEMS as though this is an endless lonely road that you're walking on, with no end-- ever. It does end, though.

Also-- how old is your child??

If he's more than 5-7yo, there's also a HUGE problem with thinking that YOU are completely responsible for meeting ALL of his needs.

With kids at higher LOG, that's simply an impossible thing to begin with, if you see what I mean. HE needs to take some responsibility for meeting his needs. You aren't his personal slave, you're his parent. Not even a parent can be ALL things to one of these kids-- nor should we try. They're capable of draining you to an empty husk.

Enforce boundaries. That's a hard-won bit of advice that I'm giving you. If you don't, this will eat you alive. Do some things that are not about meeting his needs-- or about basic survival, for that matter. That might feel selfish, but that in and of itself is a problem-- you are his parent, yes, but you are still a person with worth of your own, too.

Oxygen-mask time. Put your own on first.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    C
    C
    One thing that turned my anxious, sensory, Asperger's child around was swim team. The water is great for sensory needs. The tasks were great for his anxiety (he set small goals and overcame fears and felt great about his accomplishments over and over again).

Started with 1 hour a day for four days a week at age ten and now at age 14 he does 3.5 hours a day for 5 to six days a week...over the summer twice a day some days. Days he misses practice he isn't as centered.

Not saying swimming is your answer...but find an activity with an understanding coach, one that is a good match for him, and the ability to drop him off. That one hour break was exactly what I needed. Randomly I watched and took pictures. Anxious kids need hard exercise. Anxious kids' moms need a break.

I also agree with "daily living skills". Laundry, basic cooking, sweeping, weeding, we have no snow here but I would think snow shoveling, pet care....all those things take the time to teach, do the task with him, eventually have him do them independently. I think it makes people less anxious when they have skills and responsibility that make them feel good about contributing and less of a burden.

When I homeschooled (and every summer) I have quiet hour right after lunch.... Everyone In his or her own room, alone--reading, writing, napping or non-electronic quiet playing (such as quietly playing with Legos) are the only activities allowed. We set a timer and everyone is so much less cranky with the forced quiet in the house for that hour. It is rejuvenating. We get along so much better and I get an hour where I am not the cruise director (or referee or hand maiden)

Last edited by Cookie; 01/10/15 09:22 PM. Reason: Clarification
    I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    You have gotten so much great advice here that I can't think of anything to add. I would like to share though that our first attempt at homeschooling was an unmitigated disaster. It was horrible. She was unhappy, we were unhappy, we were all sick of one another. Sure she was learning, but at what cost to everyone's well-being, sanity, and family harmony? The way we made it work the second time around was through a mass outsourcing. Sports, classes, lessons, playdates, sleepovers, more classes. And it's still not that easy (though obviously it's gone from totally not worth it to ok, we can make this work).

Big virtual hug.

"Wonderful, glowing, parents who talk about the joys homeschooling": False.

"I just feel like crying sometimes.": True

"Such a fierce mind": Really, seriously, totally true.

We don't homeschool, so I can only extrapolate from vacations and summer. But dear god we are so wiped out so much of the time. Lady - I don't know how you do it. But I can tell you I'll bet anything it's worth it. Because, don't forget the anxiety you felt every day, all day, when your child was in school. Perpetually waiting for tears, anger, frustration. And that was just from the teacher!!

I don't mean to be flip. You are doing such an amazing thing for your child. And nobody can understand just how amazing it is until they've grabbed one of these little tigers by the tail. Nobody. Seriously. You are awesome.

Sue

And to pile on what the others say - take care of yourself. Gove yourself some time to yourself. It's like on the airplane when they say "be sure to put on your oxygen mask before assisting others." If you don't take care of yourself, the whole thing will come tumbling down!

Sue

K
    K
    2E kids are no joke. We have a stretch of pretty good days, and then a string of days where I want to send him back to school. Just to get him out of my hair. Honestly? This may sound selfish but the best strategy I have found is for me to see what my needs are to be happy and to do those things. For me, I need a little quiet time, a little reading, outside time, and exercise daily. Do I get all of that daily and still homeschool well? Nope. It's a balance. But if we need to be with these kids all day long most days, we need to also take care of ourselves. It's certainly not all sunshine and roses. I like to compare it to what it was like last year (in public school) and that always helps me to have perspective. Is it perfect? Heck no. Is it better? MUCH. Hang in there!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM