Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Hey, the more the merrier! grin And I was about to write an apology for my long science rant. Most people walk away quickly when you start babbling on about science and all the cool things you can get lost in. Well, quickly being a relative term, once the glazed expression goes away. I'm so very happy to have found this place!

Dazey: I think cell cultures and centrifuges sound pretty cool too. Where exactly do you get a cheap centrifuge, BTW? Enquiring minds want to know!

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    acs Offline
    Originally Posted by CSmith
    acs,
    Those programs look wonderful! Too far away for us though!

Corinna

I am sure there are other programs that are just as cool scattered all around the country. These just happen to be two that I have reason to believe are reputable. I think I saw that the wolf camp actually arranges airport pick-up if your kid flies out by him/herself.

I started a camp discussion under "resources" hoping that other people might add more outside-the-academic-box learning ideas to my very short list.

Originally Posted by ebeth
    They mention a program for girls at Mary Baldwin College in Staunton, Virginia that looks interesting. (i.e. I would love to find something similar for boys!!)

There's the Early Entrance Program at the University of Washington...

http://depts.washington.edu/cscy/programs/earlyentrance/

I'm enjoying the conversation too. Learning does not have to happen in a formal setting for it to be useful or meaningful. My kids have learned far more in their own private pursuits than in any formal lessons I have given.

W
    W
    My comments about science and math were because the Davidson scholars profiled in an article were about 19/20 science and math oriented. It seemed a natural tangent.

And I agree you can read so many things, but I think lab work makes science so much more intereting. And many of the topics mentioned are really things you would take at a college so why not take them at the local school where they have facilities?

DH went to Chile during a HS year and learned Spanish (still speaks compared to moi who took French in Canada forever and it takes 2 weeks in France or Morocco to remember).

I think some of those camps sound wonderful but they are geared to the summer and then what? Pick a country to spend the year.

And a logistical question. If you do spend a few years like this, how do you apply for college re: transcripts?

Just debating post.

Ren

acs Offline
    Originally Posted by Wren
    I think some of those camps sound wonderful but they are geared to the summer and then what? Pick a country to spend the year.

And a logistical question. If you do spend a few years like this, how do you apply for college re: transcripts?

Well, I know that the tall ships take volunteers any time of the year (but I don't know at what age since I doubt this particular activity is in our DS's futute). My friend's kid went to the summer camp at maybe 15 or so, then did a 2 week volunteer stint, and then was hired on for the year after graduating HS. Colleges loved her experience and that she wasn't just like every other smart applicant with the same-old activities. I think most schools appreciate an applicant who has followed a passion that is outside of the mainstream. Many homeschool kids do their 2 weeks volunteering on the ship during the school year and some decide to stay on as paid crew if there is a good fit.

I know our local theater company has homeschool acting classes during the school year. There must be tons of these kinds of programs if you just know where to look. It is really the availability of these amazing opportunities that makes homeschooling appealing to me (rather than any problems with our PS). We are compromising by working toward a gap year in 8th grade...

There are plenty of sources to help homeschoolers create transcripts--websites, books, even college planning experts. We're not there yet, so I don't have a list to share. Maybe Lorel or someone else does? But it's not a big deal. It's just like compiling a resume from a varied work background. People do it all the time.

Nontraditional avenues of study are pretty common among homeschoolers, especially HG+ homeschoolers, and evidence indicates that colleges are becoming increasingly interested in kids who pursue their own passions with gusto, rather than simply following the typical school path at home. I mean, it makes sense. If you go out of your way to do MORE than other kids, and do it with creativity and passion, what school wouldn't want that? It shows a self-starter, someone who loves to learn, someone who can contribute something to the university community rather than merely filling a seat. The percentage of universities that have procedures on the books for admitting homeschoolers has skyrocketed in the past 10-20 years, which means they recognize the talent pool and want to grab some of it. I read an article that detailed the numbers, but I'm too lazy to look it up. If you doubt me or want to know more, I could dig for it.

Why not take those subjects at college? Well, if there were a local school that were a good fit for a 12yo, I might send my child there. But I'd be nervous about it. Wouldn't you? I mean, 12 is pretty young to be on campus full-time. And I got the sense that we were not discussing just picking up a class here or there at a neighborhood place, but sending the child *off* to college. That I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do unless it were a special program for youngsters like the one Cathy suggested. I'd rent lab space and hire an expert tutor before I'd place a 12yo in that sort of situation, I think.

That's just me, and I never like to judge the decisions of others. This job is hard enough without someone else telling us what a mess we're making of it. We're all doing our best and every kid is different. But I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with full-time college away from home for a 12yo without some sorts of protections in place.

Kriston
    CSmith Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I agree Kriston. We are not comfortable sending him off to college full time even though we live <10 miles from a major university campus. I also am nervous about sending him to some of these 3+ week long summer camps on campuses around the country. 1 - we can't afford the program/airfare and 2 - we are not in the habit of sending our kids off with people we don't know. I guess what I'm hoping for is to have him apply for these gifted programs that give him access to scholarships etc and then have him admitted to the local university to begin studies - but not full time. Some online courses and maybe 1 on campus class. Something like that. He most likely will not make it through college in 4 years because he wouldn't be full time. I guess I lean toward the normal progression from high school to college because, like Ren mentioned, the gap in studies makes me nervous.

I hear you. But if I may continue to butt in whether wanted or not ( wink )...I'd recommend that you at least look into other options.

You may well decide not to take them. That's certainly a valid choice. But I don't think you have to be scared to follow something other than the traditional progression. The big deal about going "off-road", I think, is that it's harder on you because you have to be more creative, more free-thinking about what to do next. You have to hunt down opportunities, even inventing opportunities that have never existed by networking with people, and it's a lot of hard work. It's definitely easier to follow the usual path, where you know what comes next. But given the givens, I think it might be more beneficial to your child--not to mention your own peace of mind!--to do things a little differently.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mean to discourage you from giving him college-level work. Not at all! Online courses are a great solution. And even one or two on-campus classes that you drive him to seems like the sort of thing that wouldn't send me into hysterics if I were in your shoes. But that still leaves education time to fill, you know?

It might be a good time to explore career options. HG+ kids often have trouble figuring out what to be when they grow up because they have so many options. Unlike kids in traditional schools, he's got the time and the freedom to intern or job-shadow. Why not take advantage? And that sort of experience looks AMAZING on a transcript! Seriously, colleges go nuts for that sort of thing!

I promise to shut up if I'm annoying you. But I really think you can slow things down without slowing HIM down, if that makes any sense, while still giving him a transcript of which to be very, very proud. I'd suggest that you at least look into it.

smile

Kriston
    There are books all about assembling transcripts for homeschoolers.
    Cafi Cohen has written several on homeschooling teens and creating homebrewed transcripts. One of her kids was accepted at multiple service academies, and ended up going to the Air Force academy. He'd done a lot with the Civil Air Patrol and a personal fitness program, as well as the usual academic courses.

I spoke to a Yale admissions officer a few months ago, in preparation for a talk I was giving. He said that they were very happy with the way homeschoolers fit in there, and that a higher percentage of homeschoolers were admitted than traditional students. He was very enthusiastic about what homeschoolers could bring to thee table, though he did say that the expectation is that they will have made good use of their freedom to pursue out of the box endeavors.

My kids have done some work with mentors, and I really can't say enough for caring adults who take time to share their expertise. Mentoring is one way for kids to go deep into a subject, without a lot of cost and the awkwardness of being 8 or 10 years younger than most other students in a college classroom. Artemis had an email relationship with an entomologist when she was about five. Hector has worked with two different geologists and now has a math mentor.

I just read a report that talked about ACT and SAT correlations with college readiness, and apparently my son would have been ready several years ago, according to the charts. But I don't think he would have enjoyed the experience at eight, and I am not convinced that his intellectual capacity should ever overrule his social and emotional needs. I think we've done the right thing by him, by waiting, and he's growing into a confident and well adjusted young man. Perhaps he could have succeeded in college at eight, but FOR HIM, it looks like twelve is going to be the right time to start. And it will certainly not be full time...

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM