Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Daniel Tammet is a prodigious savant - http://www.danieltammet.net/. He's from the UK. He's been featured on TedX. Stephen Wiltshire (human camera) is another prodigious savant who you may have heard about or seen featured on TV.

Scott Barry Kaufman did an interview series with him and on savant syndrome - http://www.creativitypost.com/artic..._daniel_tammet_part_i_embracing_the_wide

Simon Baron Cohen, I think, diagnosed Tammet's asperger's - http://www.autismresearchcentre.com/people_baron-cohen

Dr. Darold Treffert is the world's authority on savant syndrome and was a consultant on the movie Rain Man - https://www.wisconsinmedicalsociety.org/professional/savant-syndrome/faqs/

Davidson article on extreme precocity: prodigies, savants, and children of extraordinary high IQ - http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10467.aspx

Joanne Ruthsatz's study on prodigies (which I think includes Jake Barnett who is another Aspie prodigious savant and has been featured on TedX) - http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/pur...z-on-the-common-trait-of-all-prodigies/. Kristin Barnett wrote a book, The Spark, on her son Jake. She mentions Dr. Ruthsatz's study in the book as well as about Jake's traits and autism.

P
    P
    DS7 had 19s on the working memory wisc subtests. His comprehension was slightly lower but still quite high. He absolutely has social issues that affect him on a daily basis, so I wouldn't say that all kids with ASD issues would score poorly on comprehension. The nature of the wisc comprehension subtest is to answer about the practical or usual course of action is in a specific situation. For example, "why do you wash your hands".

One reason to score less than amazingly is just being concise. For example you could answer with, "I do it to keep my hands clean" and then not follow up with any additional explanation. Or someone could go into detail about the demands of living in a community, or over-population induced epidemics, or bacteria, or all of those things. (And while the first statement may be really a summary of the second, the second answer likely garners more points). This is how I think my DS must have achieved a higher end score on comprehension, just going on and on until the tester told him it was time to please stop. Because it certainly was not from some intuitive (or learned either) grasp of social convention.

Not appearing amazing in math to everyone at this age is not too surprising and can be a reflection of schools' focus on operations. When I think of math ability it's the ability to juggle symbols and infer relations and follow a line of logic, think dimensionally, and so on. Very different from school math at age 7 or 8, which is more about quickly adding and subtracting small sums, maybe multiplying which is just more adding, possibly dividing which is more subtracting, etc.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Originally Posted by Polly
    DS7 had 19s on the working memory wisc subtests. His comprehension was slightly lower but still quite high. He absolutely has social issues that affect him on a daily basis, so I wouldn't say that all kids with ASD issues would score poorly on comprehension. The nature of the wisc comprehension subtest is to answer about the practical or usual course of action is in a specific situation. For example, "why do you wash your hands".

One reason to score less than amazingly is just being concise. For example you could answer with, "I do it to keep my hands clean" and then not follow up with any additional explanation. Or someone could go into detail about the demands of living in a community, or over-population induced epidemics, or bacteria, or all of those things. (And while the first statement may be really a summary of the second, the second answer likely garners more points). This is how I think my DS must have achieved a higher end score on comprehension, just going on and on until the tester told him it was time to please stop. Because it certainly was not from some intuitive (or learned either) grasp of social convention.

Not appearing amazing in math to everyone at this age is not too surprising and can be a reflection of schools' focus on operations. When I think of math ability it's the ability to juggle symbols and infer relations and follow a line of logic, think dimensionally, and so on. Very different from school math at age 7 or 8, which is more about quickly adding and subtracting small sums, maybe multiplying which is just more adding, possibly dividing which is more subtracting, etc.

Thank you. Very useful insight into the comprehension part of the wisc. Do you know that for sure or is it just an educated guess x

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Originally Posted by cdfox
    Daniel Tammet is a prodigious savant - http://www.danieltammet.net/. He's from the UK. He's been featured on TedX. Stephen Wiltshire (human camera) is another prodigious savant who you may have heard about or seen featured on TV.

Scott Barry Kaufman did an interview series with him and on savant syndrome - http://www.creativitypost.com/artic..._daniel_tammet_part_i_embracing_the_wide

Simon Baron Cohen, I think, diagnosed Tammet's asperger's - http://www.autismresearchcentre.com/people_baron-cohen

Dr. Darold Treffert is the world's authority on savant syndrome and was a consultant on the movie Rain Man - https://www.wisconsinmedicalsociety.org/professional/savant-syndrome/faqs/

Davidson article on extreme precocity: prodigies, savants, and children of extraordinary high IQ - http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10467.aspx

Joanne Ruthsatz's study on prodigies (which I think includes Jake Barnett who is another Aspie prodigious savant and has been featured on TedX) - http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/pur...z-on-the-common-trait-of-all-prodigies/. Kristin Barnett wrote a book, The Spark, on her son Jake. She mentions Dr. Ruthsatz's study in the book as well as about Jake's traits and autism.
    Brill thanks!!

G
    G
    How frustrating.

I personally wouldn't bother with extended norms. You have useful information right here, and since your goal is for a diagnosis and not for the highest possible score, the extended norms won't tell you much more than what you know: WM was way ahead of the other areas, and you have ongoing language issues. Anxiety very much can affect these scores.

My family practices a model of "symptom whack-a-mole." You've noted a couple of overarching issues. I'd find a way to treat those issues and then reassess from there based on progress or lack thereof.

Have you consulted with a speech therapist? I've found them to be rather flexible and able to treat the child in front of them with incomplete testing information.

At the same time, I would look into ways to address the anxiety. Depending on the child, it could be cognitive behavior therapy, a huge amount of exercise, a trial of meds, or social groups (which you'll find through a speech therapist).

Last edited by geofizz; 12/14/14 07:25 AM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Polly

Not all of them are as practical as "why do you wash your hands", but they do speak of the rules of social conventions, which quite a lot of kids on the spectrum can articulate. This is a completely different skill from being able to recognize and apply social reasoning skills in live situations. Most of the time, overly concise responses will be queried (by a skilled evaluator), which should pull out sufficient additional information in a child who actually knows more. But it is true that some taciturn examinees artificially lower their scores by the brevity of their responses.

Other reasons for scoring poorly on Comprehension include expressive language disorders, and cultural differences. In one of my other posts (sorry, now I can't remember where I put it!) recently, I mentioned that picture concepts also has a certain amount of verbal loading, so that the PRI may not be representative of his true nonverbal reasoning ability. Block design is also affected by processing speed and fine-motor skills. I'd be interested to see how his motor-free visual-spatial skills are (OTs test this, and there are some measures on the WJIII and the new WISC-V, among others).

Last edited by aeh; 12/14/14 01:11 PM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    I have not seen the wisc itself. I was curious when DS took the wisc and read "Essentials of WISC assessment" which offered a lot of insight into the test, and into uneven profiles. The sample question was online somewhere, can't recall where. Another sample question (which is likely made up, not from the real test) I saw was, "why should you tell the truth?"

Comprehension is one of the subtests that offers points for answer completeness. Vocabulary is another. It makes me feel like a tester who says, "can you tell me more", if they don't have a good rapport with the child or they say their query phrase in the wrong tone or while looking the other direction, it's possible for that to affect how much more the child feels like offering up, especially for the younger kids or those who may not really care minute to minute about the points aspect.

The use of the term "comprehension" for that subtest is pretty different from a more common educational use of the word, which might more be whether one can distill a story or line of thought to its essential parts.

You had also mentioned a low score on coding. My DS had this also, similar number, 8 or 9, can't recall. I think of coding and symbol search as "output speed". DSs slowness really affects his school experience: he experiences frustration at getting his thoughts down on paper no matter the subject matter.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM