Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (aeh), 390 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    R
    rioja Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    We are off to a rough start with school.

We started our DS4 in a montessori preschool last year and he was miserable. Teachers were seeing depression, anxiety and aggression. Plus he didn't engage in "the work." At their suggestion we had him evaluated (observations, testing, etc.). The studies results placed him at 99.8 percentile with a 143 GAI (probably higher since he didn't fully engage in all tests). They found no signs of ADHD, ODD or otherwise but he did display some impulse and focus issues (he was 3 at the time though.) They suggested our problems were rooted in a bad fit with the montessori method and suggested that we place him in a high quality play based preschool and accelerate him into the 4 year old class and kindergarten next. I say accelerate but really it's just accelerating him by a few weeks since he's just 4 weeks shy of the age cutoff.

Fast forward to this year. He's now in a very good play based preschool. It's a very small class with just 7 kids and a good, but somewhat rigid teacher. He seems much happier than last year and they are not seeing any depression or anxiety which is good, however there are behavioral concerns. He has a hard time with self control at circle time (fidgeting and not keeping his hands to himself), he's overexcited at recess which can lead to pushing, etc. and he can be rather defiant with his teacher. I'm noticing a trend that the problems stem from circle (boredom?) and free play time (social issues?). I think at recess it's a combination of overexcited and over sensitivities with the 2 other boys. He just hasn't yet mastered how to control his energy so he's overwhelming for the other kids turns into a vicious circle (he gets a little to crazy so they don't want to play with him which, in turn hurts his feelings so he's even crazier because he doesn't know how to manage the feelings.)

Lot's of background music.... here's my question: HOW DO I HELP HIM? I think some of this relates back to his giftedness and seeing it through the gifted glasses helps me to understand the causes, but I still don't know how to help him. He clearly needs to learn how to behave in a group setting and he's going to have to learn how to manage through things that bore him. And he has to learn that he can't be rude and defiant with his teacher. That's all clear. But HOW DO I HELP HIM LEARN IT? His school set up a sticker program but that doesn't seem to help since it doesn't address the triggers.

Any advice from people who have been there done that? I use a 1 2 3 system at home that seems to work and at home he's definitely a ball of energy and nonstop questions but generally he's delightful. Challenging but delightful. My concern is school. I think he needs to learn these subtle social things but I'm at a loss for how to help him.

Hi Rioja,

I could have written your post about my DS (now 7), word for word. Except the 123 system didn't even work for us at home. Here are a few thoughts:

1. Every child is different - but my guess is this WILL get better. We've had a bumpy road, but DS is now in first grade with a good teacher. He has a best friend and knows how to interact with the other kids. He shows respect to (most of) the adults. He is generally happy-ish in school. All is not roses. But things are soooo much better than they were 3 years ago.

2. For me personally, the turning point came when I honestly came to understand that it wasn't "he won't." The problem was "he can't." That's why sticker charts don't work for kids like ours. They assume the kid CAN, but just WON'T. For my DS, no matter how he tried, he couldn't.

3. Soooo - what to do? For DS it was - where possible - minimizing triggers. Here are things we (finally) convinced the school would be helpful They were, by the way.

DO make sure he has a trusted relationship with adults at the school. Ideally this is the teacher. Not so for us in K, but better now in first. He also has close relationships with the director of his after care and with the principal.

DON'T make him fail. Don't ask him to sit shoulder-to-shoulder on a little classroom carpet. Why not have all the kids scoot back a foot? DON'T keep him in at recess or lunch to finish work Send it home and I'll help. DON'T shame him by writing his name on the blackboard or using a sticker chart other kids can see or any of those other nasty, bullying things that schools do. These things all work on an assumption that he CAN, but he WON'T. My son is trying hard. But he can't. If you help him, maybe he will be able to sooner.

DO give him a chance to shine. He has a ton to offer to the class. Call on him as often as you reasonably can. Say "what a good point" when he makes one. Say "can you raise your hand?" and when he does call on him so he can repeat what he just blurted out. Then say "what a good point" - if it was. And if your DS is like mine, it probably will be.

DON'T embarrass him for knowing things other kids don't know yet. DON'T say "we're not doing fractions yet" without also adding "but, that's right. Looks like you are ready for fractions!"

4. This one is for you - don't pay any attention to the little smirks or outright offensive remarks you'll get about behavior. Those folks don't have any idea what your DS is trying to handle. And sadly, even if they did, they probably wouldn't cut him any slack. But it's not a problem with you being too easy on him. It's just a very hard row for you both to hoe.

5. Last - this whole time was incredibly, painfully, awful for DS. He felt lonely and broken. He asked me to stop telling him I loved him, because "nobody could love a kid like me." The single best piece of advice I got was to give him all the unconditional love I could. I hold off on questions when I know things went badly at school. We got him a dog (pure, pure, pure unconditional love). We tell him we are proud of him when he does well AND when he doesn't. When he doesn't, we find a point where he tried, and tell him we are proud of that. Then we find ways to work on the things that didn't go well. We praise where it's warranted. BUT we cannot overdo the praise, because the wise little man won't believe any of it if we do. And always - a steady drumbeat of love and being there for him and of WANTING to be there for him. No questions, no exceptions.

We are not out of the woods yet. But I think we are getting there, and I want you to know that you and your DS will, too.

Hugs,
    Sue

I
    I
    You've received great advice above.

I'll just add that as it seems this is a frequent topic, and many helpful resources such as Social Thinking have been mentioned over time, have you explored the Age & Ability Specific Forums? There is a forum especially for Pre-school. You may find some resources there.

I
    I
    He asked me to stop telling him I loved him, because "nobody could love a kid like me."
    This is heartbreaking. And not uncommon with gifted kids.
    The single best piece of advice I got was to give him all the unconditional love I could.
    smile

P
    P
    I'm a bit confused at a play based pre school having recess. When I say play based I mean like we have here where it is all free play except maybe 10 minutes twice a day and meal times. I also don't think 7 kids and one teacher is a good fit. One teacher can't sit and talk to him for a while but with 24 kids and 3 teachers there is more scope. It is also more likely you will find a friend.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by rioja
    somewhat rigid teacher
    Rioja, do you think he's usually defiant or could it be a reaction to her rigidity?

He has a hard time with self control at circle time (fidgeting and not keeping his hands to himself), he's overexcited at recess which can lead to pushing, etc.
    hasn't yet mastered how to control his energy
    he doesn't know how to manage the feelings

The concerns you mention may be due to regulation issues and perhaps sensory sensitivities. The Alert Program can help you develop strategies to guide your child to the path of self-regulation. While the program in the first link below suggests that adults must do all the scaffolding for very young children, some gifted children may easily understand the concept and over time began to regularly employ their own strategies. YMMV.

http://www.amazon.com/Engine-Leader...sr=1-1&keywords=how+does+your+engine+run

http://www.amazon.com/Zones-Regulat...9727&sr=1-1&keywords=zones+of+regulation

IMO, the hardest emotion for some young children to manage is overexcitement, because it's so pleasurable - why stop. It sounds like your DS already sees the negative ramifications with his friends, but he needs assistance in realizing the links in this chain of events. Is there an opportunity for you to coach in the moment when you see him in a similar situation in a non-school environment? Perspective taking will help, and humor goes a long way. Some reco's below:

http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Spac...85&sr=8-8&keywords=my+mouth+is+a+volcano

http://www.amazon.com/My-Mouth-Volcano-Julia-Cook/dp/1931636850/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

More importantly, what does the teacher see as HER role in the behaviors and development of solutions? Most early learning programs see teaching social and emotional skills, including self-control, thru games, activities and stories as an essential part of the program. Is she laying this entirely on your lap or contributing to compassionate solutions?

R
    rioja Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Thank you. You provided some good advice, especially about setting him up for success instead of failure. I hope you little on is happier now.

R
    rioja Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Originally Posted by EmeraldCity
    somewhat rigid teacher
    Rioja, do you think he's usually defiant or could it be a reaction to her rigidity?
    I think her rigidity is a big part of the problem since he really hasn't connected with her. But... He still has to learn to be respectful.

He has a hard time with self control at circle time (fidgeting and not keeping his hands to himself), he's overexcited at recess which can lead to pushing, etc.
    hasn't yet mastered how to control his energy
    he doesn't know how to manage the feelings

The concerns you mention may be due to a combination of regulation issues and sensory sensitivities. The Alert Program can help you develop strategies to guide your child to the path of self-regulation. While the program in the first link below suggests that adults must do all the scaffolding for very young children, some gifted children may easily understand the concept and over time began to regularly employ their own strategies. YMMV.

http://www.amazon.com/Engine-Leader...sr=1-1&keywords=how+does+your+engine+run

http://www.amazon.com/Zones-Regulat...9727&sr=1-1&keywords=zones+of+regulation

IMO, the hardest emotion for very young children to manage is overexcitement, because it's so pleasurable - why stop. It sounds like your DS already sees the negative ramifications with his friends, but he needs assistance in realizing the links in this chain of events. Is there an opportunity for you to coach in the moment when you see him in a similar situation in a non-school environment? Perspective taking will help, and humor goes a long way. Some reco's below:

http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Spac...85&sr=8-8&keywords=my+mouth+is+a+volcano

http://www.amazon.com/My-Mouth-Volcano-Julia-Cook/dp/1931636850/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

More importantly, what does the teacher see as HER role in the behaviors and development of solutions? Most early learning programs see teaching social and emotional skills, including self-control, thru games, activities and stories as an essential part of the program. Is she laying this entirely on your lap or contributing to compassionate solutions?

Thank you. The first program on self regulation looks great. I sent a link to the teacher and director to get their feedback. I don't think they do anything regarding actually teaching self regulation. They just expect the kids to do it, but my DS needs some direct instruction. If they don't do something of the sorts in the classroom I may do it myself at home. It's also an interesting point you made about what the teacher's role is in it. I think to date, it's just been "he needs to learn...." without any advice or ideas on how to help him learn.

THANKS

N
    N
    Circle time can be difficult for some children. Can you ask the teacher to make circle time a little more mentally challenging for your child? A little boy was bored on circle, and giving him a question partway through circle that he had to consider or figure out, perhaps the answer had to incorporate something a classmate said, then give his answer near the end, made circle time much more manageable. Directed the energy to the brain, instead of the body.

Many days, he had to think of three things, activities, etc, to do that day. When things got "dicey", he'd be directed to think of something from that short list.

Playground time can be a challenge. Semi-directed play, a game, would keep things sane, but at the same time free play is what they need. Perhaps a game a few times a week, free play the others?

Having a buddy in class, an intellectual (or close to it) peer, is helpful. It can also lead to opportunities to learn how to give someone their space, and to request one's own space.

I'm sorry if this sounds cryptic, but because I am talking about a situation I was involved with but that didn't involve my own child, I can't write too freely.

This is where it is important to have a frank and friendly conversation with the teacher. You're so lucky it is a small class! Is it a public-type program, through the town or park district? If so, a companion can be very useful, and paid for by the preschool. If you are in an independent preschool, you can ask for recommendations that you might have to pay for. A good companion can make a world of difference.

M
    M
    It drives me absolutely crazy when teachers - especially preschool teachers - think it's not their job to teach social skills. For preschoolers, that almost defeats the purpose of going to school. They are all still learning how to relate to each other and function as a group. If the teacher isn't guiding the process, who is?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM