Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #205673 11/13/14 02:35 AM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    I know it is really hard to find a "right" preschool, and sometimes you thought it is "right" and turn out it is not.

After researching for a year, I finally choose a christian base preschool which use Montessori materials in classroom for my "mathematics talent" DS3. It should be a prefect choice as my son doesn't like to play with "non-educational toys" (sorry for the "educational" i mean here is sth related to academics) like figures, trucks and pretend-play toys.

However, I am thinking to change his preschool now as I found that the school give him too many worksheet. The reason is that he is so into writing and after assessment, the teacher would like to focus him on language art (as english is his second language) and actually there is no other maths toys suitable for his level. I did tell the teacher that I prefer social interaction, so it is okay to let him just pick some toys and play with other kids, but it seems doesn't work in Montessori preschool.

He started writing his name when he was 2.5 yrs old with mixing of upper and lower case letters (and he write all the words with a mixing of U/L case too), so the teacher draw a cross next to his name and his words and ask him to practice again. He is so sad when he telling me that teacher said he is wrong and have to write lower case letters instead (i am surprise that he totally understand what the teacher said). Would like to ask should I support what the teachers do in class and ask him to write it "Correctly"? Is it too early as he is only 3 now, and he enjoys writing so much.

I am thinking to switch my son to a playbase preschool to improve his social skill and avoid those worksheets, not sure if it a good choice, any experience and advice? Thanks.

Btw, there is a funny story about this. A few days ago, my son asked me to draw sth, and then i drew it wrong and said, "Oh no! Mommy draw it wrong",
    DS3 said, "if you draw sth wrong, you should multiply it!"
    I said, "What??? Multiply it???!?!"
    DS3 said, "yup! multiply it, teacher also did that" and then he drew a cross next to where i made a mistake :P

E
    E
    Hi,

After you spoke with the teacher about just letting him pick out toys and playing, what was her response? I would go with your gut and move him to a more play based situation now if they are not interested in letting him play/experiment with things on his own.

Writing your name with a mix of small letters and capital letters is totally fine at 3. My DD who is 5 and in kindergarten still does this occasionally. If DD were 3 and she wrote her name and someone drew an "x" next to it and told her it was wrong I would not be happy.

Penmanship is not language arts. If the school wants him to work on language arts why don't they let him draw pictures, make up stories/books, read level appropriate books, dress up and make plays or build things and explain or talk about them?

I think at 3 your DS should be somewhere that encourages his interest and love of learning and makes him feel happy. Right now it sounds like this preschool is a place where he feels sad and pressured. I wouldn't back up the teacher here, I'd just say "bye!".

Last edited by eyreapparent; 11/13/14 04:47 AM.
    I
    I
    I would be upset if I knew that my dd almost 3 had any attempt at her name crossed out, so that she could practice doing it correctly. One of my greatest fears is a teacher teaching my daughter to not be a kid and do the creative things that kids do. I love it that my daughter has some academic skills, but I firmly believe that any academics she does must be considered part of her free play. So, if someone told her she did not write her name correctly it would seem as absurd to me as telling her that she did not build her Lego world right.

Last edited by it_is_2day; 11/13/14 07:51 AM.
    N
    N
    I agree with the previous posters. Go with your gut - what you describe sounds absurd. And our daycare have gotten kids whose first language was *not* English, and even then, they don't focus on penmanship at all regardless of what your native language is. For children with difficulty with English, they would really emphasis talking and listening - writing correctly at 3 is not on their radar, not even for kids who are native English speakers. So, in a nutshell - I would not back up the teacher at all. If he wants to write, it should be fun. Not work, not something to be corrected.

DS4 was in a traditional preschool/daycare at 3 (lots of play with early intro to some things) and even there, the teachers never corrected or pushed him on getting correct letters. They would ask "do you want to practice letter X today?" and more often than not, DS would say no, and take off for a play center, and the teacher just left it alone. He never came home with any worksheets although he came home with plenty of artwork. So while we saw some other kids with lots of writing examples, his was sparse - and his teacher never said anything about it at all to him or us because frankly, it is NOT important at 3. They emphasized more social skills and listening.

Heck, even now, being in a GT class at age 4, the few worksheets he brings home are full of his writing attempts - mixed cases, letters backwards at times and even a few with just a few letters of his name. And even then, his teacher does not cross anything out or call him out on his size or mistakes - they emphasis the fact that he keeps trying and never gives up, not whether it is correct and because of that, he is actually enjoying it all a lot.

M
    M
    I personally would avoid any preschools that have 3 year olds doing worksheet.

We looked into Montessori schools and I loved one of them but then it shut down last year and SO was never crazy about sending DD to a school that would tap into her strengths.

The nature-based preschool we ended up for DD is wonderful. DD went from not really knowing what to do with herself with a group of peers to being a social butterfly. It still isn't a perfect fit and she is starting to crave more math and writing but those things, we can do at home together.

When you visit the right school, you'd know it. Meanwhile, I'd keep on touring as many schools as possible, even the ones you don't think would work out for your DS just so that you know what you're looking for and also what you do not want in a preschool.

T
    T
    I think the emphasis on correct letter formation is very much a Montessori thing. For learning and developing in a second language, I'd emphasize free play, preferably in a mixed age setting so he can be with older kids. Check out play based preschools with mixed age groups for toys he might be interested in: brio trains, kapla blocks, Lego, geomags etc.

Awful. Just awful. Language - including writing - is about conveying information. Capitalization will help with that eventually, but your child's teacher is way off base in saying ANY writing your child is doing is "wrong," especially with respect to how she writes her name. Can you read her name? Then it's just perfect for now. She is conveying the information. I would not go back to that school at all.

A child should be able to write their name any way they want. Every person eventually develops their own signature. This mania for precise copying and uniformity is worse than useless, especially at this stage of learning.

I get very worked up about this because my DS had a charming "signature" he developed as he taught himself to write in preschool. Entering K, he was told that he could not write his name that way. Let me be clear - it was perfectly legible. It just included a couple of artistically embellished letters. After being humiliated and told over and over that his writing was wrong - and being sent home with his name in dot-to-dot letters he was to trace over 10 times EVERY NIGHT in the ironically named Handwriting Without Tears font (which I did not make him do), he abandoned his charming signature and also decided that he could not write at all. He won't even try any more.

Don't let this happen to your child. Leave that school.

Tigerle #205717 11/13/14 11:53 AM
    P
    P
    He is 3. If all the letters are backwards, upside down, out of order or spread randomly round the page you say well done.

Yes - what puffin said. I'm so upset for your child right now.

R
    R
    I agree with everyone else that that doesn't sound very age-appropriate. Three is far to early to start criticizing hand-writing on any level at all. If it was my kid I'd definitely be looking at a new program. I feel strongly that a preschool teacher should be a kind presence that is supportive and nurturing more than anything else.

It can be really hard to get the perfect read on a school or even to predict what it is your kid will 'need'. Around here there weren't any strictly play-based options that were close enough for us to attend but there were a ton of church-based preschools that all seemed to use the same general curriculum. I ended up putting my son (3.5) where he is now because when we visited all the kids looked like they were having a good time, the teachers were very sweet and they talked to my son like he was a person to a larger extent than other schools. I've really enjoyed it for him so far, and I'm happy with the decision. He does do some writing work but it seems to be pretty rare and is just tracing some letters. They have a letter of the week that they talk about and then they decorate the letter with something. There doesn't seem to be much pressure to do much of anything other than stay somewhat in line and in their seats. I don't think he's learning much academic but has plenty of behavior to work on, ha. smile

I'm sorry you guys are having a rough experience and I hope you find a school that's a good fit soon!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM