Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #204685 11/01/14 05:13 PM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    This is my first post here as I am a fairly new member, although I have been lurking for quite a while! However, the one thing I didn't see that many posts about was summer camps. We live in an a suburban area; however, there aren't very many resources or classes for gifted kids - or too many HG kids, for that matter. So... We've been looking around at some academic summer camps.
    I'm looking for a camp for a high school, with a humanities subject matter. In the Midwest would be nice, but not necessarily a requirement.
    However, I'm looking mostly for some people who have BTDT:
    Are these types of camps good for HG kids? I'm looking for a good educational environment but also for a good peer group - for us that's a big thing. Related to that, does a high selection criteria (is, Davidson THINK versus Northwestern CTD) make a difference in peer group and content/pace, or does the nature of the camp select for HG+ kids?
    Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance!

Last edited by FruityDragons; 01/26/16 03:46 PM. Reason: details
    We're in IA and drove our DD13 to PA for a three week summer camp through Johns Hopkins University - Center for Talented Youth (JHU-CTY, or just CTY). She did the intensive studies program where most of the kids are gifted and up. Our daughter had a blast. She thought she'd just enjoy the academics, but she really loved meeting and interacting with other kids like her.

Google "CTY" and it'll be at the top of the results. They hold two 3 week sessions each summer, and offer various classes - many in the humanities. The 2015 catalog is not available yet, but you can get a sense of what they offer from looking at the 2014 catalog.

I'm sure there are other great programs out there, but I'd highly recommend looking into CTY.

--S.F.

SFrog #206986 12/04/14 05:38 PM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    I'm sorry it took me so long to respond - I've been having some computer problems and, um, just now realized there was a 'reply' button. I hope no one minds....
    I did see the information about CTY. I think I'll keep that in the back of my mind and I'm excited to see what the courses are this year!
    The only concern about CTY is that I read in one thread (I'm not sure how to link?) that many online CTY courses are from Thinkwell. I know academics aren't the most important part, really, but it would be disappointing if they weren't...unique, if you know what I mean.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent