Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 193 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #2044 02/12/07 02:00 PM
    S
    stbmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I belong to another message board I joined when I got pg with my son. I check in periodically since many of the topics are interesting and the board is very active.
    Well, someone asked about getting their child tested for their local schools gifted program.
    WOW!
    The responses were alarming to say the least. I know of two people on the board that responded who are public school teachers and my jaw dropped at the responses.
    Ladies and Gentlemen - our gifted kids really do have a hostile world waiting for them.
    Everyone commented that grade skipping should never happen as children should "be with their peer". Both school teachers said they would never support self contained gifted classrooms and pull out programs should not be very often. Another commented that there were no "true" gifted children and many programs are a hoax to make parents feel good.
    I held my breath and commented that while many school districts have varying standards, there are some very clear universal standards in the world of "gifted" and there was such a world that existed - you just really had to look for it. I also commented that the type of program to best fit the child would correlate with the individual child - as a mildly gifted child has very different needs from a profoundly gifted child.

But really, I saw again why we do need to be advocates every day for our kids. It's also funny how no one would argue that athletes should be able to compete with their ability peers as opposed to age peers. Michelle Wie was not only encouraged to turn pro and compete against other more her level (although she only had limited success on the junior golf circuit) - she was given corporate sponsorships to compete. Many baseball teams and basketball teams draft kids straight out of high school to go to the pros. I just really don't understand the hostility towards children that are intellictually gifted. But believe me, the hostility is there.
    I just saw an opinion piece today talking about "what is wrong" with kids today. A sentence for the piece went "maybe it is a result of all of these supposedly gifted programs that give kids inflated self-esteem".
    I wish I were making this up!!!

G
    G
    Grrrr....

My blood just boils when I hear about these things! And, I totally agree with the comment about athletics.

Can I gripe? My daughter belongs to a Brownie troop. Our troop leader sent us an e-mail from one of the girl's moms. Apparently her little girl had won a local pageant, and she was (rightfully) proud of her. But, I thought, what if I had sent a letter out telling the other parents about dd getting yet another poem published? frown

C.

A
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    A
    Post deleted by Mark Dlugosz

Thanks SBTmom,
    Well done. I especially liked when you said:

I held my breath and commented that while many school districts have varying standards, there are some very clear universal standards in the world of "gifted" and there was such a world that existed - you just really had to look for it. I also commented that the type of program to best fit the child would correlate with the individual child - as a mildly gifted child has very different needs from a profoundly gifted child.

The lovely part of all this is that all it takes is us opening our mouths and saying our truths, over and over again to be sure, but how many other struggles can be so clearly won with love?

Trin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    D
    D
    stbmom,

What were the responses to your post? Did anyone agree with you?

S
    stbmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Not a one!
    They actually just dropped the thread, but that usually means people don't agree, but don't want to argue. There is also a function where you can Private Message a person and I let her know she could PM me, and she never did.
    Another thread happened today when someone mentioned she may need to get her daughter tested for ADD/ADHD. The teacher mentioned the girl was "too smart for her own good" and wouldn't sit still in class. Mind you, we are talking about a 3/4 year old preschooler! She will sit down to read or be read to, but doesn't want to sit when the rest of the class is sitting and listening to the teacher. Hmmmm - does that remind you all of anyone? Maybe every gifted child (or even smart child that is already reading while the teacher over the alphabet).
    So, I mentioned that gifted children are often misdiagnosed as ADD/ADHD and medication is a very big step for a young child. So, if she were going to have her professionally evaluated for ADD/ADHD, she may want to have her evaluated for giftedness as well.

Let's just say that went over like a ton of bricks! Why are people more comfortable medicating their children than finding out if they may actually be gifted, just in the wrong environment.

However, for full disclosure - I don't feel any child under the age of about 8 years old should be expected to sit down for any extended period of time quietly and listen to the teacher, gifted, ADD/ADHD or "normal/average". So, I often try to sway parents of very young children from having them in a "school like" setting where they are expected to "sit down and be quiet" for any extended period of time. And I quantify extended as anything over 20-30 minutes with less than a 5 minute break before the next "sit down and be quiet" session.

Wow, this is so interesting and upsetting. I find the same thing happens to me when I present my OT evaluation findings and try to get people to see that the child isn't being oppostitional or defiant, just responding to poor processing of sensory information. People seem like they would rather believe that a 5 or 6 year old child is being manipulative, stubborn, strong willed, oppositional, defiant, ill-mannered and disobedient. They seem to have a hard time believing that a child is just responding to the world in their own way, based on how they perceive it. Is it a control thing? A power struggle between adults and children? I don't know.

My son was noted in the recent social worker observation report to be "antsy" in his math class. Fidgeting, skipping, running, up and down from his chair, standing instead of sitting, flying like an airplane behind his seat instead of sitting...you get the idea! When I shared this info with a co-worker she commented, "well, he needs to get that under control." What?! He's a 5 y/o who is bored out of his gourd - he's doing what any bored 5 y/o would do!!!! For some reason we are supposed to be teaching our children that being bored is a part of life - get used to it????!!

Glad you keep giving the good fight. Don't let being a "thread stopper" stop you! Keep it up!

W
    W
    sigh. We face this so much at Mite's school. Teachers are always trying to make him "normal". It's pathetic and scary.

Until educators and cultures begin to realize that "giftedness" is merely a learning difference that needs to be accomodated for children to have access to learning, then WE are failures in educating this world's young.

Willa Gayle
    L
    L
    Boy can I relate. My son's been labeled as ADD or ADHD by "friends" ever since he was 2 or 3. His kindergarten teacher wanted to put him in in a special education program because he wouldn't sit still (He was doing work he did when he was 3). This year his teacher, that I really like, let him stand up as long as he wasn't being disruptive. The school called in a physical therapist for the class in general (I'm not sure if this is normal). The PT noticed that several kids got up a lot and suggested the children wear backpacks weighed down with books or soup cans to keep the kids in their seats. Then she mentioned some rice filled snake-like things to drape over the kids shoulders or put on their laps to weigh them down. I MADE THEM!!! I was concerned that my kid wouldn't stay in his seat and I was worried that next year's teacher wouldn't be so accomodating. I've since started to homeschool my son since I witnessed first hand that he gets up when he's done with his lessons a full hour or more than the rest of the kids.

The lesson I learned is stop trying to conform the kid and try to see what he's capable of.

parents of boys l is 6 and d is 3
    D
    D
    I had read or heard a long while ago about some progressive classroom that gave the option to kids to sit on a big ball rather than a chair at their desk. They weren�t allowed to bounce, but just balancing their bottom expended some energy. I always wondered if that would have been a solution for my son who was also suspected of ADHD when he was younger.

I also don�t have much sympathy for teachers who take away recess when little boys act antsy.

ld parents; How do YOU enjoy homeschooling?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM