Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 351 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #202280 09/29/14 10:50 AM
    S
    Siren14 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Hello Everyone,

I just discovered this forum and am excited that it can help answer the seemingly hundreds of questions I have. I wanted to introduce myself.

My oldest child just turned 7 and is in 2nd grade at public school. We have suspected he was gifted since he was about 2 years old, but he was just recently "officially" recognized. I think before that part of me was afraid it was all in my imagination, partly due to previous encounters with educators in other states who basically thought I was exaggerating. We are now in a state that mandates gifted education (although it is unfunded). So far the school district and principal have been 100% supportive and accommodating. The gifted coordinator and school psychologist are also very helpful.

His test scores (which I know aren't everything) were in the 155 range for performance, 128 range for vebal, and 151 range overall. So far his social skills are okay, but he is sensitive and can be emotional, especially with perfectionism. He has some struggles relating to peers. He has also been learning piano for a year now. He loves it, and his teacher describes him as musically gifted.

Right now he is accelerated to 3rd grade for math. The principal intentionally scheduled 2nd & 3rd grade math to be at the same time just for my son. (Isn't that great?) He goes to the gifted coordinator for Math and ELA about twice per week. They are starting leveled reading instruction next week. At home he's reading 3-4th grade level books independently, plus I read aloud longer/harder books.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and I look forward to tapping into the vast stores of knowledge here. I've been on other forums before, so I will search past posts for answers to my questions as much as possible. No need to reinvent the wheel. smile

Cheers,
    Siren

S
    S
    Hi! I'm new here as well, but I have been lurking for a bit. It is great that your school is working with you right now--I'm impressed. In what region do you live?

We are homeschooling our DS6. He was in a charter school for the majority of K (last year) but it was a disaster on a number of fronts (a story similar to a few I have seen on here). Mine plays piano as well and struggles with peers, too. I really appreciate reading about others who can relate to our experiences.

Welcome!

M
    M
    Hello - I'll say welcome to you both! Siren14, sounds like you are very lucky to have such a supportive environment - make the most of it!

Schwann, glad to hear you have found a solution that works for your family :-)

H
    H
    Welcome! Yes, that is really wonderful that the school and principal are so supportive!

S
    Siren14 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    To answer your question, schwann, we live in Pennsylvania. One of the few states with mandated gifted education. However it is unfunded. Fortunately before we moved we got in touch with head of our county chapter of NAGC and she steered us towards school districts with good programs. We've been so happy.

I had a slight overreaction to some perceived teasing of my child. I think I alienated the principal and gifted coordinator a little bit. I hope they understand that this is all new to me. I feel like I've been thrown in the deep end of the pool! Still trying to get my bearings.

Looking forward to "meeting" more of the regulars here.
    S.

Mom to DS 7, DD 5, DD 2
    familiar with: adoption, infertility, ASL/Deafness, child abuse prevention

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM