Hello Everyone,

I just discovered this forum and am excited that it can help answer the seemingly hundreds of questions I have. I wanted to introduce myself.

My oldest child just turned 7 and is in 2nd grade at public school. We have suspected he was gifted since he was about 2 years old, but he was just recently "officially" recognized. I think before that part of me was afraid it was all in my imagination, partly due to previous encounters with educators in other states who basically thought I was exaggerating. We are now in a state that mandates gifted education (although it is unfunded). So far the school district and principal have been 100% supportive and accommodating. The gifted coordinator and school psychologist are also very helpful.

His test scores (which I know aren't everything) were in the 155 range for performance, 128 range for vebal, and 151 range overall. So far his social skills are okay, but he is sensitive and can be emotional, especially with perfectionism. He has some struggles relating to peers. He has also been learning piano for a year now. He loves it, and his teacher describes him as musically gifted.

Right now he is accelerated to 3rd grade for math. The principal intentionally scheduled 2nd & 3rd grade math to be at the same time just for my son. (Isn't that great?) He goes to the gifted coordinator for Math and ELA about twice per week. They are starting leveled reading instruction next week. At home he's reading 3-4th grade level books independently, plus I read aloud longer/harder books.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and I look forward to tapping into the vast stores of knowledge here. I've been on other forums before, so I will search past posts for answers to my questions as much as possible. No need to reinvent the wheel. smile

Cheers,
Siren