Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    sd2emw Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. My son is 6 years old and really struggled behaviorally in k last year. We had testing done twice, once with a clinical psychologist and once with a neuro psych. We sought the second evaluation because the school would not stop insisting that our son was on the spectrum, so we found a neuro psych with lots of gifted and 2e experience. She said that our son isn't on the spectrum, but rather displays sensory modulation disorder and emotional disregulation along with adhd. She also stated in the report that his social reasoning skills were high averae Well, now we've moved across the country, in corporate housing. I am homeschooling for the time being. We've had other trauma in our household and there's no way I can fight with a school that may not be where we end up buying a home. I need help with determining if the lower scores are indicative of a serious weakness or if they are relative weaknesses.

These were done when he was 6 years 3 months, if that makes a difference.

Wisc 4

Verbal subtests. Performance subtests
    Similarities 17. Block design 16
    Vocabulary 13 picture concepts 8
    Comprehension 12. Matrix reasoning 16

Working memory. Processing speed
    Digit span 7. Coding 9
    Letter/number sequence 13 symbol search 10

Verbal comprehension 124
    Performance reasoning 121
    Working memory 99
    Processing speed 97
    Fsiq not valid

His previous testing had him at a 134 iq, wppsi 4. He was 5 at the time. I'm very low on patience with his behavior right now. It really seems like I'm not good for him, at least not his emotional regulation skills anyway. Luckily his meltdowns are a few minutes, 10 at most, but they are loud and scary to his little brothers.

I did not mean for this to get as long it did, but I do appreciate any input you might have. Thanks!

I need help with determining if the lower scores are indicative of a serious weakness or if they are relative weaknesses.

Really, the only one who can determine that for sure would be a professional who actually observes your DS. I, as a total amateur, can tell you that a low processing speed does not necessarily indicate a serious weakness; my son's is in the 21st percentile and he does well in school.

Your previous tester should have calculated the GAI since there is such a disparity in the test results that indicate an invalid FSIQ. Did s/he do that?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I agree that low processing speed is not necessarily a problem per se. Especially where these are solidly average scores. Working memory is more interesting, as that is a striking difference between the subtests. Might have something to do with the diagnosis of attentional weaknesses. I am most interested in the substantial difference between picture concepts and the other two PRI subtests, as, if not for this low score, his WISC results (at least in the PRI) would be much more like his WPPSI results. In general, his abstract reasoning skills appear to be higher than his concrete skills (Similarities vs vocabulary, matrix reasoning vs picture concepts). The similarities-picture concepts difference is also highly unusual. It's almost as if combining verbal and visual information in problem-solving is more challenging for him than tackling either one on its own. Do you find that to be the case IRL?

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations