Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #199950 09/03/14 04:13 PM
    M
    Mhawley Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    My DS6 is rushing through easy work and producing sloppy results. Specifically, he is being given color by number (literally 1, 2, 3) or color by word (pink, blue, red) worksheets and getting written feedback regarding the neatness of his work. He is getting the "facts" right on these worksheets but the only feedback from the teacher is "PLEASE SLOW DOWN AND COLOR NICELY". His reading is at DRA level 40 and he is multiplying, dividing and doing pre-algebra for fun at home, so the work is well below his level. My gut says there is something not good about this situation, but I have learned my lesson to go to the school only with facts and research, not gut feelings. I'm hoping to develop a good working relationship with the teacher and trying to pick my battles so I don't appear as overbearing as I may have been last year. Anyone have research to support my gut on this one or insight to help me decide whether this is a battle I should fight at this point?

Mhawley #199957 09/03/14 05:08 PM
    22B Offline
    How much facts and research do you need to show that coloring in is a pointless waste of time. How about they come up with some facts and research to show that there a reason for such activity.

Mhawley #199962 09/03/14 05:12 PM
    22B Offline
    For a bit of rebellion, how about scrawling his pre-algebra across the worksheets in multi-colored crayon.

Mhawley #199968 09/03/14 05:35 PM
    I agree with the fine motor hand control comment above. Is it just the coloring the teacher has an issue with? He likely sees it as "busy work" because his focus is on the math facts and not on coloring within the lines for neatness.

Mhawley #199969 09/03/14 05:39 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I just have to interject one story on this topic. When our #1 was TWO-YEARS-OLD we had a very sweet, very young religious education teacher pull us aside, concerned that #1 was coloring outside the lines.

Years later, #1 metaphorically is still "coloring outside the lines." Despite beautiful handwriting and artwork.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Mhawley #199971 09/03/14 05:50 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    On another note, the history of art education has been deeply influenced by the thinking of Viktor Lowenfeld, who made his career on the developmental stages of child art, one outgrowth of which was the contention that coloring pages impeded the natural development of creativity in children. The available evidence does not appear to be all his way, so take that with a grain of salt. But it's certainly at least as legitimate as the peculiar primary-grade teacher insistence on coloring within the lines.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Mhawley #199977 09/03/14 06:08 PM
    After K, when asked about "art" he did in class, my son said - "We didn't do art, we did copying." <> I told him he should do it, but he was allowed to tear it up when it came home in his folder. He did.

Mhawley #199979 09/03/14 06:15 PM
    M
    Mhawley Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    DS used to struggle with poor handwriting....and still does when rushing....but has improved dramatically. Only 1 out of every 20+ written letters on handwriting assignments need correction, so fine motor skills seem to be developing on target. There may be some learned behaviors with the coloring. In K, DS was allowed to escape into his own immaginative play, with worlds made out of cut paper, after his work was completed. He's frequently rushing through activities to make more time for play and to be honest, as an adult I do the same thing....who doesn't....so I struggle with holding him to a higher standard than I'd hold myself. Yet here is his teacher only noting the shoddy coloring and not recognizing the 100% correct answers.

22B #199980 09/03/14 06:53 PM
    Originally Posted by 22B
    For a bit of rebellion, how about scrawling his pre-algebra across the worksheets in multi-colored crayon.

Wow-- I should SO scan and post a shot of my DD4's idea of "Math mystery" coloring pages-- the kind with the color-coded sections filled in with a color key?

Yeah, a big "X" in each one was good enough for HER, tyvm, and she just rolled her eyes at me if I asked for anything more than that. Gave up on that particular "make math drills fun" attempt. grin

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Mhawley #199982 09/03/14 08:14 PM
    A
    A
    Forced colouring is a pointless activity. Really. It accomplishes absolutely nothing as far as thinking or creativity are concerned. My son is 2.10; I measure his level of interest in colouring in micro-give-a-thsis. (In the spirit of futile school activities, I made that last word a jumble to unscramble!)

Maybe a compromise is to cut down on the hoop-jumping activities he's required to do. As in, if he can complete the end of year hidden picture colouring sheet, then he gets to do problems from a folder you send in, or read the book of his choice.

The venemous tone is in no way directed at you OP, but rather reflects my exasperation with educators who feel the need to force conformity when children clearly require a challenge.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM