Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    OP Offline
    Oops. Cross-posted again.

To be clear: "ghetto-ized" was the term the Director used; it wasn't my description of the conversation. It's not a nice term, I agree. But English is not his first language, and I didn't hold it against him. I believe he was trying to describe the danger of becoming a narrow-minded individual. As I see it, this kind of narrow-mindedness is different from simply having incredible talent in a given domain. And it's different, too, from the kind of serial obsession that Kriston was describing. Either of these is perfectly compatible with being broad-minded in the good sense of the phrase. I myself know a number of great mathematicians who have very broad interests, and I know one or two who are rather narrow-minded. I prefer the former to the latter by a lot. Still, I agree that it is very difficult to know what people will actually do from their description of their intentions. It's better than it might have been, but I'll be much happier when I see that it's worked out.

BB

Agreed! I'm hoping it's a great match-up! smile

Kriston
    Can someone explain the term "ghetto-ized" to me? I'm not getting the connection with "ghetto" and being obsessed with something.

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 07/11/08 03:03 PM.
    I would love to. Here is the definition I found:

Main Entry: ghet�to�ize
    Pronunciation: \ˈge-tō-ˌīz\
    Function: transitive verb
    Inflected Form(s): ghet�to�ized; ghet�to�iz�ing
    Date: 1939
    : to isolate in or as if in a ghetto
    � ghet�to�i�za�tion \ˌge-tō-ə-ˈzā-shən\ noun

I really don't like the implication of this when a school administrator says it to a parent, KWIM.

But of course, BBDad has good instincts and doesn't think it's anything nefarious, so I'll personally let it slide this time!

Originally Posted by BaseballDad
    He did say that he thinks it's important not to allow him to get "ghetto-ized" - to become interested only in numbers and nothing else - but that seems quite sensible to me. We'll see how it all works in practice, but I'm hopeful.

This was the initial post--meaning compartmentalizing, overspecializing.

Kriston
    I really don't like the implication of this when a school administrator says it to a parent, KWIM.

Yes, I was uncomfortable w/ the term and wanted to make sure I understood the meaning as it was intended.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    But of course, BBDad has good instincts and doesn't think it's anything nefarious, so I'll personally let it slide this time!

I appreciate the endorsement, though it's not at all obvious how good my instincts are. Still, in this context I'm pretty strongly inclined to be generous. The main thing to know is that the Director is a thoroughly lovable old man whose first language is not English. From the context it seemed clear to me that nothing nefarious was intended. But I probably shouldn't have reported his position verbatim, since it's clear that the terminology distracts from the meaning.

In any case, all this leaves completely to the side the question whether his intentions, which seem to be good, will lead to practicable results. About that we can only keep our fingers crossed.

BB

JBDad #19838 07/11/08 04:11 PM
    F
    F
    JB

Where do you get these particular lists?

Thanks.

fitzi #19839 07/11/08 04:16 PM
    Originally Posted by fitzi
    JB

Where do you get these particular lists?

Thanks.

I've made them for DS when the topic has come up. Fibonacci and Factorials are easy if you have Excel. (Lucas is like Fibonacci, just with different starting values, so that's also Excel). There is a ton of information on wikipedia and other sites about happy numbers, primes, etc., so in those cases I just copy and paste. DS like to have the numbers in hand for reference...

JB

F
    F
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    This makes me a wee bit nervous because of our experience with statements like this...

Not to drift off-topic, but I appreciate this sub-discussion, because, though no one has used the 'G' word with us, DS6 has for years utterly fallen in love with one isolated topic after another, notably, the alphabet, numbers, and the solar system. Not only his teachers, but even I get worried myself from time to time that he is over-obsessing. I'm coming to the view that they represent his comfort zone and provide a useful portable intellectual structure. We need to nudge him outside of the zone a bit, but it's good that he has it.

As it turns out, the solar system is a terrific launching pad for a whole raft of learning topics, from measurement, to geometry, to chemistry. It's actually a very sensible long-term framework to establish.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM