Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    This depends very much on your options. Given that AP courses have honor points in high school but not in middle school, there are real GPA tradeoffs in taking high school math early. However, there are other concerns as most NC districts do not have much math beyond calculus, although NCSSM would be an option eventually. And there aren't many peers taking calculus in middle school, so your child needs to be ready to learn independently.

We elected for math now, and will run out of options for high school math before high school starts. I think it was a good decision for my child, who was rapidly coming to detest math before being allowed to have some challenge. I don't really care about GPA issues, but I am worried about what to do for math in high school.

D
    D
    Many districts have concurrent-enrollment programs with area colleges (community colleges or 4-year colleges). Here it's quite simple: when DS maxes out the math at the HS, he will attend the college for math, on the district's dime.

Transportation, of course, will probably be on me. There will be things to iron out...

Originally Posted by SFrog
    Originally Posted by ruazkaz
    Has anyone else dealt with this type of situation and if so could you let me know your thought process, what you chose and if you would do anything different...

Our DD13 finished 9th grade in June, having taken Geometry as her math class.

Our thought process when advocating for both of her whole grade accelerations, and in accepting the school's recommendation to further accelerate her in math, was to be prepared to sacrifice GPA for actual learning. Sure she could have snoozed her way to an easy A+ in 7th grade math this year. Instead she was challenged and had to fight for her A in Geometry. At the end of the year her GPA might be slightly lower than it could be, but in exchange she has gained much more value in real knowledge.

Would we do anything different? Not substantially. Maybe if I could think of a way to boost her confidence in her math ability. Since math is her relative weakness, she thinks she is not good at math. Frustrating since she considers me good at math, yet at 13 I was looking to take 8th grade math where she's queued up for Algebra II.

Best of luck,
    --S.F.

THIS.

DD's transcripts reflect it, too-- that is, her ONLY non-A grades are in math coursework, but oddly, not in those later AP courses.

We were on the opposite side of the divide that is outlined by the OP, though-- DD didn't have a choice-- she HAD to take a math class, and the ones that she was taking in 7th + 8th grade were honors high school courses... which went on her high school transcript. And were later rolled into her cumulative GPA, I might add.

I think that you have to do what feels like the right thing for your child at the time. You don't really have a crystal ball, and so you CANNOT really know whether you'll regret the decision later. KWIM?

The really critical down side that I see to this kind (and extent) of math acceleration is that high school math teachers are rarely well-equipped to teach anything well once one moves beyond trigonometry.

Even with training, most of them do NOT teach calc well, much less anything past it. At least DD's math teacher understood the math well himself. He just didn't have the grasp of spoken/written English to actually teach anything, or to grade written work well-- so he didn't. I'm not dissing him on the basis of not being a native speaker, but it was a rather severe impediment to effective instruction and feedback. But he did know the math, at least, unlike a lot of her friends' experiences with AP calc teachers who just shrug when asked questions.

The instruction problem was the reason why DD effectively de-celerated math after algebra II as a freshman. Instead, she took AP Physics that next year, and not Calc. Her senior year, she took some dual enrollment credits-- but statistics, not calculus, because I could fill the gaps instructionally with the former, and not so much the latter.

In her intake interview with the math department, they were pleasantly surprised that she had not taken CALC in high school, but HAD taken college level algebra and statistics. They were perfectly happy to have her as a major even without the differential and integral calc sequence. {shrug} I suppose opinions vary, but I strongly suspect that they like to know that a student has learned the calc well as much as early. The quality of high school teachers really begs a lot of questions on that score. It's also worth noting that even students who don't PLACE (via ALEKS, which a great many colleges use as a placement tool) into calculus (differential, I mean) seem to wind up getting 3's (or better) on the AP exam. {sigh}

Us, we chose to "play the game" to some degree-- but recall also that "the game" meaning fluff coursework that is "easier" is completely unnecessary for HG+ kids to begin with. So "the game" for kids like my DD-- and likely most of those on the boards-- is to take as MUCH weighted coursework that "counts" toward the GPA as possible, in order to maximize class rank... so the trick is actually to take the UNWEIGHTED coursework over summers, or get it off-site somehow so that it doesn't get averaged into the GPA to start with. Yes, that is a bit squicky, I think-- but that's "the game" as it is played NOW. DD did drop an unweighted course (dual enrollment) and DID avoid taking anything at the local community college itself (because we were informed that those credits WOULD be averaged into her GPA, and would NOT be weighted like honors or AP is at the high school. But she didn't find a way to take health or PE such that those didn't get averaged in, either. Nor did she CLEP out a language requirement.

Particularly if they haven't been grade accelerated more than a year, I don't see calculus, linear algebra, or stats BEING all that hard for a 15-17yo HG+ student. KWIM?

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    This means that DS will likely be taking either Linear Algebra or Differential Equations as a Junior or Senior even if he also takes the "sideways" option of Statistics as a Junior/Senior. Although Linear Algebra and Differential Equations are harder than Calculus, they are also natural progressions so not necessarily harder to ace.
    My personal opinion is that Linear Algebra is easier than Calculus, and it doesn't really require Calculus. I don't see it as being any harder.

Agreed.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    F
    F
    Interesting topic for us as we just had a meeting with our #2 guy in our school district (all the assistant supers report to him). We are not being allowed to accelerate beyond the program they offer. At this pace, both kids will have completed geometry in 8th grade. DS needs more acceleration than will be offered as right now, he is about a year behind his sister who although just completed 4th grade, has completed 5th grade math and next year will complete 6th and 7th grade math. (his program will condense 3-4-5th grade into 2 years)

Q
    Q
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    This means that DS will likely be taking either Linear Algebra or Differential Equations as a Junior or Senior even if he also takes the "sideways" option of Statistics as a Junior/Senior. Although Linear Algebra and Differential Equations are harder than Calculus, they are also natural progressions so not necessarily harder to ace.
    My personal opinion is that Linear Algebra is easier than Calculus, and it doesn't really require Calculus. I don't see it as being any harder.

You got me thinking about it and I realize the word "harder" may not be sufficiently adequate. Perhaps I am thinking about the potential for depth in the sense that you can more readily separate the mathematically talented from the merely smart than in a basic course like Calculus. I did not study Linear Algebra until college and while I ace the course as easily as Calculus, it was more intellectually sophisticated than my three semesters of Calculus AB and Calculus BC during High School. While all my classmates in Linear Algebra aced their high school calculus courses, not all of them aced Linear Algebra or mastered/extended the concepts as required by the course.

Z
    Z
    Worth mentioning that in NC we have the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics high school. Their catalog is pretty informative: https://focus.ncssm.edu/uploaded-assets/CourseCatalog.pdf

They have courses for advanced research, multivariable calculus, and such. Definitely on our radar as a potential option.

Originally Posted by bluemagic

My experience was the same but maybe it was because I had a solid foundation in geometry and to me it was natural to visualize as well ( until n- dimensional spaces at least LOL).

Become what you are
    C
    C
    Linear Algebra and Calculus are different, and each is as hard as the course designer chooses to make it!

AoPS is accredited now, by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, if that helps. Academically, the idea that one of its courses isn't as good as the corresponding course taken in a bricks and mortar school is laughable. I suppose it could be an issue that there's no invigilated final exam, but that seems to be common.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs