Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    slammie Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    DD6 has major issues with clothing and walks on her tip toes most of the time when she is bare foot. She is also quite impulsive, has a very high energy level and talks nonstop. Literally.

Prior to about 4 years old, she did not have any problems dressing. In the last year, her sensory issues has become so bad that most days she has massive explosive tantrums when getting dressed.
    She dislikes constricting, scratchy, long sleeves/pants, tight elastic and seams particulary under arms and socks. Last year we managed to ge through it by having her put it on for 15 minutes, helping her get through the intense discomfort and then she would mostly forget about it. Now, it is out of control and my older DS is becoming disturbed by her tantrums.
    Washing clothes does not help and in fact after a few wears she will refuse to wear them as they start to shrink and become uncomfortably tight. Because she is so thin for her age, clothes literally hang off her, so it's a challenge finding clothes that are loose that won't fall of her body.

Have any of your DCs received sensory therapy for this particular issue? Our insurance won't cover it - it will be very costly and I would appreciate if you could share your experiences with me. Thank you!

Last edited by slammie; 07/07/14 09:20 PM.
    B
    B
    My DS15 has some sensory issues with clothing but not as severe as you describe. At one point in 6th grade he would only wear one set of clothing. It was a major problem, as he favorite shirt was falling apart and he would wear it even if stinky & dirty. He haven't done sensory therapy, so I can't help you there. What I did at the time was deal with other issues he was having (anxiety) and I bend over backwards to find him some clothes that he would wear. A friend suggested these supersoft pimma cotton shirts that he still wears most of the time.

Have you ruled out a medical reason? You mention the walking on her toes? Have you ruled out her being on the autism spectrum? Do you have a diagnosis from a professional? A physical therapist or neuropsyc?

Last edited by bluemagic; 07/07/14 11:03 PM.
    K
    K
    Hi Slammie,
    Our DS6 is receiving outside OT services (our insurance covers a portion) to address sensory challenges. His profile is different than your DD's: he is extremely sensitive/anxious about certain noises to the point that he would scream and run in fear when he heard certain noises (nature sounds and electrical sounds). In addition, we have the impulsivity, never-stop-talking, and extremely high energy level that you describe. The latter difficulties were described by the OT to be due, in part, to "retained primitive reflexes"... For example, he still has the moro reflex (infant startle), and several others. We have been doing OT since March 1x/week. I have to say I was really skeptical at first but my husband and I were talking last night about how the "freak outs" over noises have decreased dramatically and he does seem to have better coping. Is it due wholly to OT, or is it the result of time? I cannot say.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations