Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Maybe you just have to plow through it with them, whether they like it or not? This is their grandchild, this is who he is. Stressing the friendships he has--the ways he fits in--even as you also talk about his love of math might help, maybe?

FWIW, I know you're not alone in this. I've talked with others here on the forum who have the same problem with the grandparents. It really is common.

I think fitting in is a real and primary goal for some people. Personally, I think that's dumb. It's not a goal I ever shared, so I can't say much about it. I just always figured that I am who I am--for better or worse--and I feel the same way about my kids. Be nice, be friendly, try to make people feel happy instead of unhappy, but be who you are. If nothing else it's a timesaver for friendships if you lay it all out to people. (But then people tend to either love me or hate me, no in-between...)

I guess I think you have to decide what messages you want to telegraph to your child, how you are going to want him to feel about himself. Then you surround him with people and ideas that support that approach. And that goes for grandparents, too. They need to get on the train or get off the tracks!

But what do I know... wink I'm just babbling. Maybe something here is not a total waste of time for you?

Kriston
    I hope you'll find that here people delight at your shared proud moments. I can't share with me extended family either. I rarely do with close friends either, I never want it to approach a "competition"
    This is a good place to cheer your child......
    I'll start:

Hooray Baseballdad DS! You are such an amazing intellegent lovely child! Getting to hear about the unique way you think is a joy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get on the train or get off the tracks!!!

I would love to say that out loud to some of my family members!

Unfortunately, they are off the tracks by proxy in a way. They don't get as much info and don't "know" the girls as well.

Kind of sad

Originally Posted by 'Neato
    I hope you'll find that here people delight at your shared proud moments.

I second that! I always think of these kids as "our kids," and I definitely celebrate them.

Heck, I have always celebrated all the kids I meet, GT or no. I think kids are cool! smile

Kriston
    OP Offline
    Thanks to everyone for their support and nice comments. I've just finished half an hour of computer games with DS, and he agreed to take a bath only if we could do more tomorrow. He gets so excited about it, his eyes light up, and it makes it all worth while. [He's just this moment come in to tell me that he weighs 36.6 pounds.] I feel energized to give him these opportunities no matter what. Thanks again.

BBDad

So sweet...........
    thanks for sharing.

BBDad, best thing I've purchased in the last year: bathtub crayons. The math we've done (BEGGED for by DS) in the tub... it's been amazing.

JB

JBDad #19705 07/11/08 05:10 AM
    BBDad-

My family homeschools and I finally gave in and purchased academic workbooks for my daughter when she was two and was begging for them. She saw her big brothers working and she wanted to be like them. She started with a simple phonics workbook (she was reading independently) and the Singapore math earlybird series. She ZOOMED through the first two singapore books but got stuck when her writing skills (and perfectionism) were not enough for her to do all the writing expected in the two higher level earlybird books. The first two books only require drawing connecting lines, circling, etc. The second two want kids ot actually write legible numbers and letters, and though my dd was writing a bit (like her name) at 2.5, she wasn't satisfied with her writing in the math books. We took a break of 6-8 months or more, and then she was fine going back to them. You can look up the very reasonably priced books here: www.singaporemath.com

I also have a handy list of cool math "stories" here:
    http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art33626.asp
    http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art28465.asp

hth! Welcome to the board.

Lorel #19706 07/11/08 05:25 AM
    If you want curriculum, RightStart Math is great for 3-4yr olds b/c level A doesn't require much writing.

F
    F
    BB Dad:

A couple of more simple teaching aids: there is a good site someone on a forum showed me recently for manipulatives (search for eai education.com), also check out the National Library of Virtual Manipulatives online (though we tend to limit our use of the computer and work in four dimensions as much as possible).

Also, the website Enchanted Learning, for a $20 annual subscription, lets you print out individual pages of problems at all different levels and topics. I'm just getting into this with my DS6 and finding it to be a rich resource (though it does not offer you a teaching system, as, say, Singapore math does).

My son is not as precocious as some described here, but I try to do as much as possible with him in chats and dialog, talking about the world around us, using fingers, and going to paper and pencil only after he has the idea. Keeping a light touch and feeding his interest are key. DS6 drives the pace.

Apropos songs, try looking for the School-house Rock dvd. I'm ambivalent about some of the content, but my son loves the math songs, and they helped him master his multiplication tables within a week or two (something I still haven't managed).

The social issues are hard; as someone said earlier, this is why we're here. I've also been chastised by my mother for 'pushing' my DS. As a result, partly, we put math on the back burner for a whole year, and now realize that this was counter-productive, to say the least. The best advice I've seen, and I've received it from several sources, is to listen closely to your child, and to trust your own heart and instincts.

Last edited by fitzi; 07/11/08 05:39 AM.
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM