Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    I am very happy today and wanted to share with all of you. As I have mentioned in another post, dd4.75's teacher recommended that dd skip k next year and go to the elementary mixed age classroom for grade 1. That by itself was very exciting to me. But today I met the elementary classroom teacher and she informed me that she has already spent some time going through dd's portfolio that her current teacher maintains and has spent some time observing dd when at work. She is very excited to have dd in her class. She believes that dd can start at 2nd grade level work even though officially she will be a first grader. in fact, she is going to purchase some 2nd grade text books so that she can use them to teach dd (apparently she does not have any 2nd graders this year or next, hence the need to purchase). She also assured me that dd would still be able to join her primary friends for class trips and free play and that she and dd's current teacher are working out the scheduling details to make this happen. I am elated, I feel like I am in a good dream. Just wanted to share. If you have any happy tales regarding wonderful placement and meaningful accommodations and teachers that go the extra mile, please share.

Wow that sounds great! congratulations!

A
    A
    What an uplifting and positive way to start off on your journey together!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks Kerry and aquinas. It felt good to share here as I haven't told any of my friends irl that have kids.

It does sound like a dream come true - good for you and your DD!

Originally Posted by Lovemydd
    If you have any happy tales regarding wonderful placement and meaningful accommodations and teachers that go the extra mile, please share.
    I really wish I did, but alas the only thing I have is the school agreed to differentiate spelling after I requested it (so I don't really count that as something the school did).

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks 1frugalmom. I am happy for your dd but also sad that that was the only success story you could share. I would read some of the happy posts on this forum and dream about similar teachers and learning environment for my dd. now that I have it, it feels surreal. I wish everyone a happy and meaningful learning environment for their child!

M
    M
    YAY! What a great story smile

I really hope this is the start of a fabulous fabulous educational journey for your daughter smile

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent