Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 404 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    L
    Leyla Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Hello all,

This morning, I was going through report cards (first quarter, second quarter) of DD8 and got into a shock.

All her reading grades in quarter 1 is 3 (grade scale is 1-4 and 4 being the best).

In her second quarter report card (which lists previous quarters grades as well), her 1st quarter grades for reading are dropped down to 2.

Is it possible to drop down previous quarter's grades?

This is from public gifted program.

I had a feeling that the teacher is ticked by something and kind of working against my daughter, but I kept saying myself it can not true. Now, I am having second thoughts...

Last edited by Leyla; 06/03/14 09:57 AM.
    Whoahhhh-- I thought this kind of thing only happened to US.

We've had this happen, too-- my explanation ultimately is that it isn't about MY kid at all-- but about demonstrating "efficacy" in the program.

The problem is that if kids are already at "mastered" at the beginning, then it's hard to aggregate data including those students when they fail to show IMPROVEMENT over the course of the school year.

Seriously-- my DD's had beginning-and-end-of-year test scores shifted. I took screen shots, so I can PROVE it was done.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    22B Offline
    Maybe the record is being concocted to give the appearence of academic progress in the form of increasing scores.

If some accountability method calls for a pattern of increasing scores over time, then the incentive is not only to have higher scores at later times, but to have lower scores at earlier times.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Whoahhhh-- I thought this kind of thing only happened to US.

We've had this happen, too-- my explanation ultimately is that it isn't about MY kid at all-- but about demonstrating "efficacy" in the program.

The problem is that if kids are already at "mastered" at the beginning, then it's hard to aggregate data including those students when they fail to show IMPROVEMENT over the course of the school year.

Seriously-- my DD's had beginning-and-end-of-year test scores shifted. I took screen shots, so I can PROVE it was done.

Yup - what Howler and 22b said...

Last edited by Irena; 06/03/14 10:05 AM.
    L
    Leyla Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    So they can go back and change the previously given grades??

What should I do? I feel that she needs to fix these...

22B Offline
    The data is not doing the driving. The data is being driven.

I
    I
    I would alert teacher and principal (and whomever else - iep team if there is one or whatever) to the issue via email and request a meeting. Chances are they will change them back to avoid meeting...

Honestly-- ask yourself this. How much goodwill would it burn? Is it worth it?

If you truly feel that you need to signal to SOMEONE that you're aware of this practice... I'd approach it light-heartedly with a laugh...

Well, I guess that's one way to 'demonstrate academic progress' in the students who are already highly capable at the start of the school year....

It's not as though this is a transcript that colleges are going to look at. Bear that in mind. JMO, but I'd not make this kind of thing my personal hill to die on. There's a lot more nonsense than this to spend energy on, but that's just my experience. It's possible that for you, it matters that much.

smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    C
    C
    Do you have the actual report cards (the paper copies) the school sent? If so, I would go to the teacher or school with them and ask that they be corrected. It is possible that the teacher made a mistake when looking up the first quarter's grade and wrote down scores for another student.

L
    Leyla Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    22B - I am sorry I didn't understand. Isn't a quarterly report snapshot of quarter based on student's performance vs expected performance for a given time?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM