Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 356 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Nutmeg
    Hi...been following this thread.

My 5th grader will be taking honors algebra next year as a 6th grader... Would love to hear back from others who had a child take algebra in 6th grade!

My ds just is just finishing up Alg and 6th grade. It's worked out just fine. This quarter, he has 100% on quizzes, 97% on tests, and 89% on homework, for an overall grade of just under 97%. It's been the same all year, although his homework grade was better (there are only 4-5 graded homework assignments a quarter, and he managed to leave one in his locker this quarter). He is with gifted 7th graders taking the class, and will be bused to the HS in 8th for first period, and then brought back to the MS. It's not ideal (might interfere with some extracurricular music in the morning, but they are pretty flexible), but I think it will work out. At our school, it's not "normal," but it's not so unusual. A lot actually just depends on the teacher/principal at elementary and whether they're willing to make it happen. Older son is taking Geometry in 8th this year and could probably sleep through Alg II/Trig next year, but when he was at the crucial point, we had a principal who didn't believe in acceleration (because of the way math acceleration works, they're usually only willing to do extra in certain years when it won't result in a 'double' skip.

Younger ds was bussed to MS last year and it was great-I think that part of the reason he was chosen as a peer mediator and peer guide for other students this year was because the transition to MS was relaxed and comfortable for him. In HS, he can take Pre-Calc, BC Calc, Calc III, AP Stats, AP Computer Science, and frankly, if he suddenly decided he wants to take no math his senior year because he's going to be a music major, I'm fine with that too.

I would have had NO problem pulling him back to pre-Alg if I thought he was struggling and I don't think anyone would have cared. The other 6th grade kids are very supportive when it (rarely) comes up and the 7th graders are welcoming and friendly. Add in the 8th graders he knows because of his brother and it's great that he seems to know everyone in a very large school!

Good luck to your daughter - my son seems to enjoy class more the closer it is to his level.

K
    K
    It is standard here for gt/honors track to have Algebra in 7th and Geometry in 8th. Our local high school is hostile to kids accelerating more than this. You may want to check out how this would work with the high school that you want your child to attend.

Our middle school was willing to do an independent study version of Algebra II for DD. When we spoke to the high school which is an IB school, they said that she "wouldn't fit in the IB schedule" if she did this. It really turned me off to the school. DD still wants to be there for their music program so she is more willing to compromise than I am.

I have a friend who ended up taking her daughter to another high school for Algebra II in 8th grade. They made it work but the schedule was not ideal. The high school was on a block schedule so classes met every other day for two hours. The middle school had her scheduled for electives at those times that she attended on the days that she did not go to the high school.

I guess the message is that it can work but you need to make sure that the high school has bought into the plan.

C
    cee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Several of you mentioned there was busing from Middle to High School for a math class. Was your child allowed to leave early from prior period, and arrive late for the following one? Was there a lot of missed class time in those before and after classes?

N
    N
    In our district, they schedule some math classes first period. So elementary starts at 9am, MS at 8 am, HS at 7:30am. If kid is in elementary, just take the MS bus and take a 1st period math class. In MS, take the HS bus. The only "special transportation" needed is to get the kid back to MS or elementary. In our district, the schools aren't more than a few miles apart, so that is not a big deal. Because of the staggered start times of the elementary, MS and HS, the kids miss little, if any, class time.

N
    N
    thank for the feedback momtofour... likewise, it is not "normal" in our district to take algebra in 6th but not entirely unusual. There will be 2 others from 6th grade with her (out of about 350 kids), and they will be placed with the 7th graders taking algebra. She will take Honors Geometry in 7th at the MS, then for 8th head over to the HS... luckily the MS and HS are right next to each other so she will just have to walk over with the other 2 kids (they are chaperoned).

Glad it has been a good experience for your child. Hoping my dd will not be shocked to be suddenly challenged in math class!

Last edited by Nutmeg; 05/29/14 10:24 AM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM