Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #192015 05/22/14 11:54 AM
    R
    OP Offline
    R
    I am really glad to have found this forum! My 2nd grader was recently diagnosed with ADHD as well as finally getting admitted into the GT program at her school starting the upcoming year. I think the big issue is that each side was cancelling the other so she just appeared to be an average kid who had some trouble staying still. Which is what I think her current teacher thinks, making it a bit frustrating. Apparently her ADHD is mild, according to the neuropsychologist, but she did recommend some therapy as well as consideration of medication. So we are going to work on that over the summer and see how things go. She mentioned about going to the school to set up a 504. Given the ADHD and well as the GT placement, I am not sure what I should be asking for or how the entire process works. If there is a website that had good info, please let me know. I appreciate any input. Thanks so much

ETA: She has had an RTI in place since January because of her impulsive type behaviors. While it has helped her not to talk as much in school, I haven't seen it help her distractibility which has resulted in making a ton of careless mistakes on school work, etc.

Last edited by reddyshi; 05/22/14 02:40 PM.
    P
    P
    Basically, you should think of your own child's limitations and how those limitations prevent her from demonstrating what she knows at school.

My DS has preferential seating, extended time, less problems to demonstrate mastery, can chew gum in school, help in breaking down large projects, scribing from parents, can type work.

google accommodations gifted adhd

R
    OP Offline
    R
    Thank you for the ideas. I have been looking at some ideas but this also gives me a good starting point

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM