Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 322 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    22B Offline
    Here's a way to get a multiplication table. Just start with 2 rows and columns

X|01
    -----
    0|00
    1|01

and extend it by noting that every row and column is an arithmetic progression.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arithmetic_progression
    That gives you the whole thing.

C
    C
    DS4 has them memorized...or at least, calculates them fast enough that it's basically the same? But he never "sat down to memorize"...he just loves numbers and has been skip counting since 2 (that's how he started figuring out multiplication in the first place). I think, personally, the more they explore calculations, the more it will become intuitive. Understand the concept first, be able to calculate it, and then eventually you will start memorizing them from experience. Then again, DS breathes math, so I might be coming from a slightly skewed perspective? I suppose If a child wasn't interested in doing math for fun, I could see how memorizing the tables would be necessary...but not necessarily at 6, if she isn't really feeling it. So I wouldn't push it. Just expose her to the concept and see how her interest develops - you never know, she might suddenly catch on like lightning!

Last edited by Marnie; 05/19/14 07:39 PM.
    S
    slammie Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks everyone for the advice! Downloaded big brainz (I knew I it sounded familiar..read about how great it was sometime ago - thanks again) and found that link for learning the tables for visual spatial learners very interesting. Will definitely try it.

So here is our situation:
    We had the first real sit-down meeting with principal regarding subject acceleration for next year. DD and I covered 2nd grade very quickly as its mostly higher place values and the like and she is ready for 3rd grade math. She understands some 3rd grade concepts such as equivalent fractions and multiplication and division.
    However, she won't be placed in 3rd grade math if she is unable to master these over the summer.
    Bearing in mind she really pushes back with repetitive busy work I am concerned with her being placed in 2nd grade math and not progressing.

We really haven't enriched her at all at home prior to her starting kinder because quite frankly, we were more concerned with her inability to conform to her pre-k classrooms (frequent trips to table for speaking out of turn, not staying on task) and thought if she was too ahead, it would make the situation worse.
    When my older DS attended Kinder, the kiddos would get behavior tickets everyday. I remember one particularly bright boy constantly getting the bad tickets and it really broke his spirit. I never saw him smile; he looked miserable. His mom took him out after kinder ended and put him in private school.
    Getting DD tested recently has revealed how wrong our thinking was (HG+) and the need to advocate for appropriate placement asap. I don't want to push her..yes, she's only 6, but feel so conflicted! What would you do?

S
    slammie Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by Madoosa
    Timez Attack Pc game (free at www.bigbrainz.com)

Aiden started wanting to learn them at 5, but we had the whole leaving school and therapy debacle. Then he refused to memorise anything. So I got him a little workbook called "making friends with numbers" from the guys who publish LOF (ztwist). It is awesome and he has learnt all his multiplication facts without realising it and without any rote memorisation. and the ones he is still shaky on he can work out from the stuff he knows well.

This book is child-led (even has a big disclaimer on the frong about its not for parents or teachers to mark) and it takes them through from multiplying by 10 (easy add a 0) all the way through squares, area, and ends at fractions. I check the book when he sleeps - he calls it Dessert Maths.

so in a round about way to answer your question - I don't think 6 is too young at all.

Thanks Madoosa, the books sounds intriguing - will check it out!

M
    M
    Originally Posted by slammie
    So here is our situation:
    We had the first real sit-down meeting with principal regarding subject acceleration for next year. DD and I covered 2nd grade very quickly as its mostly higher place values and the like and she is ready for 3rd grade math. She understands some 3rd grade concepts such as equivalent fractions and multiplication and division.
    However, she won't be placed in 3rd grade math if she is unable to master these over the summer.

Bearing in mind she really pushes back with repetitive busy work I am concerned with her being placed in 2nd grade math and not progressing.

We really haven't enriched her at all at home prior to her starting kinder because quite frankly, we were more concerned with her inability to conform to her pre-k classrooms (frequent trips to table for speaking out of turn, not staying on task) and thought if she was too ahead, it would make the situation worse.
    When my older DS attended Kinder, the kiddos would get behavior tickets everyday. I remember one particularly bright boy constantly getting the bad tickets and it really broke his spirit. I never saw him smile; he looked miserable. His mom took him out after kinder ended and put him in private school.
    Getting DD tested recently has revealed how wrong our thinking was (HG+) and the need to advocate for appropriate placement asap. I don't want to push her..yes, she's only 6, but feel so conflicted! What would you do?

So let me get this straight - she has to master the skills they teach in 3rd grade in order to be allowed into 3rd grade maths? Do they require ALL kids moving in to 3rd grade to show the same mastery before starting the school year??

In terms of your other question - Appropriate placement as a holistic thing is essential to high ability kids IMO. Otherwise you really do slowly watch them slide backwards and the light fade from their eyes. I said to a friend just last night that it's like expecting a cheetah to get excited when offered a daily walk. frown

Advocate successfully, find a school that will accommodate or homeschool really seem to be the summation of our options. Best of luck making the right choices - it's not always easy, regardless of the path you choose. It is, however, always worth it to see our kids not just surviving but thriving - flourishing as they stretch themselves and become all that they can be.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    C
    C
    DS memorized the multiplication table when he was six. He had been multiplying for about a year, but wanted to learn long multiplication.
    We used a combination of flashcards and iPad apps and games. The games were key for removing the tedium.
    As an aside, I had DS thinking about division in tandem with multiplication- so he was able to complete both long multiplication and long division this fall and winter. It was much more efficient.

R
    R
    My younger one started learning multiplication when he was around 6 and has mastered it in a few months I think. by 7 he could recall them very well until 12 times. He used Timezattack, IXL, Khan academy and Xtramath as and when he pleased. Never actually completed any of the programs to be honest.
    My older one tho is a whole different story he is my Visual-Spatial kid - it was a huge struggle with those darned timed tests at school. Even to this day I do not think he has actually memorized them - he just skip counts really quickly or adds them in his head rapidly. I still see him do something with his fingers when multiplying but it is quick and gets the job done. Good Luck!

Last edited by rachsr; 05/20/14 05:21 AM.
    K
    K
    My DS8 learned them at the beginning of this school year at 7 years old. He grade skipped and is in 3rd grade this year. He is PG in quantitative reasoning but doesn't do very well at memorizing facts. Two things helped him. First, my DH sat down with him and they drew the 12 x 12 chart and filled in the easy ones first (eg. multiples of 2, 5, 10) and then they talked through the rest of it while filling it in. Second, the Squeebles Times Tables ipad app helped tremendously.

C
    C
    We have this: http://www.amazon.com/Bigjigs-Toys-...53&sr=1-35&keywords=multiplication+tiles

DS loved playing with that - it made multiplication into a game...we would take turns picking a tile for the other person, and if you got the answer right, you got to keep the tile. Person with the most tiles at the end wins. smile

Also, I have no idea if this is a thing or not, but the fact that they are color-coded might help with the memorization if you have a strongly visual kid.

G
    G
    Oh my gosh - this is great!!!!! We only recently got our daughter's IQ scores and her strongest section was "visual spatial". No wonder DD goes crazy mad about multiplication basic facts!!! And I could not figure out why a child who is supposedly so smart could not remember 7 X 8! DD says that she "hates" math just like the article yet says that some math is "not math" so she loves it. I bet it's geometry (I need to see exactly what the AIG teacher is doing). Very helpful!!!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM