Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    I've never been to a homeschool conference, but I'm wondering if one could be helpful to me as an afterschooler? A local one is coming up in a couple of weeks, and seems expensive (because of late sign up -- $100). I wonder if the conferences would be helpful, looking at curriculum in person instead of going off reviews and guesswork, and whatever else they do. I'm now thinking if there are a lot of homeschooler gifted kids out there that I could meet up with too.

Any general thoughts on this idea?

BTW, it's a state parent educator sponsored one. We're not religious and I know I'd be skipping some conferences that seem too much for us to use, but I don't know if the whole thing will be like that or likely a good mix of topics.

Life is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first and then teaches the lesson.
    M
    M
    I can't comment as its different here. just a bunch of people all selling their things.

I'd love to go to one there just to see what it is like and hear the discussions etc.

$100 seems steep - how long is the conference and what does the fee cover/go towards?

I agree you need to see the curriculae for yourself - even if only to help you see what to avoid/what won't work for you.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    OP Offline
    I looked online and found some more information. The website states their participants are about 50/50 secular/non-secular. They do have a list of topics presented. It's 3 or 4? days long, with probably 100+ booths. Topics range from how to stay organized homeschooling to keeping kids behaved to STEM and LD, as well as quite a few sponsored by sellers (10-20%) or so.

I did not see any specific topics for gifted, or else I'd sign up right away. But to pay that much to browse through curriculum... not too sure. There is a gifted state conference in the fall in my area (if I can wait that long). Seems that would be a better place to meet other gifted parents from the area. And I'm already fairly committed to summer afterschool curriculum for the time-being.

Life is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first and then teaches the lesson.
    M
    M
    yeah then it doesn't sound worth it. Sounds more like something that is arranged to ensure that all the "strange potential homeschooling freaks erm parents" are kept in line with school at home according to the state's requirements and aims. frown

I'm sorry! I would not pay that amount for what you described. Wait for the gifted state conference rather

OP Offline
    Yes, I think I'll wait for the gifted conference. As we're only afterschooling at the moment and I've already settled on what we're using over the summer, it doesn't seem worth it. Plus, I'm hoping afterschooling will only be for enrichment and fun stuff by next year, not a true curriculum.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Displaced
    Yes, I think I'll wait for the gifted conference. As we're only afterschooling at the moment and I've already settled on what we're using over the summer, it doesn't seem worth it. Plus, I'm hoping afterschooling will only be for enrichment and fun stuff by next year, not a true curriculum.

I will be holding thumbs for you and looking out for an update later in the year then laugh

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent