Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    OP Offline
    Grinity, very insightful. I've never really considered any other reasons why my DB may have been an underachiever. You're probably very right about it, though.

Why can't we all just get along? (with family, that is) smile

Originally Posted by HoosierMommy
    Why can't we all just get along? (with family, that is) smile

LOL! there's the million dollar question! I would guess it's because we have so much history together. Also because 'who else' are we going to compare ourselves to?

Just keep looking looking looking and you'll find amazing folks hidden around.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    C
    Always late to the party, but...

Welcome HoosierMommy! I found this forum s few months ago in much the same fashion you did. My DS began reading in late January at 2y6m. He's also REALLY into numbers. Once I had convinced myself that a) he wasn't just memorizing syntax and b) this was rather early for all this (he's a first child so I had no comparison), I consulted with my favorite physician, Dr. Google, and ended up here.

These folks have been a haven I needed. Just to read their experiences and wisdom has been a real godsend. My DS turns 3 in 2 weeks and in just the short time I've been here, I feel much calmer about where we are headed. That's not to say that I know what the future will bring, it's just so reassuring to know there's a support system in place when you need it.

Anyway, welcome from another toddler mom!

OP Offline
    Catherine, thanks for the welcome. It's nice to meet someone with a toddler since most of the posters seem to have school-aged children. Their experience is helpful, though, since they've already been through some of the hurdles we're headed for with school, testing, etc. But it's nice to have someone in the same boat as me.

I was just at my brother's last night with my DD2.5 and it was fascinating to see the differences between her and my DB's daughter who's the same age. I don't mean that condescendingly because I love my niece dearly, but I find their behavior interesting to watch. I can't help but compare them, to see what an average 2.5yo does versus what my DD does in some areas. Especially since I don't always know if my DD is really doing something beyond her age or not.

On the flipside, it's sometimes awkward when my DD does something with my niece side-by-side and is clearly much better at it. For example, they once played with the same shape-sorter together. My DD picked up a shape, glanced at it and plopped it in the correct hole. However, my niece tried repeatedly to put the pieces in various holes, sometimes getting them, sometimes needing help. My DB watched the whole time, but I didn't say anything. I don't want to make him feel uncomfortable. Do you run into these kinds of situations with friends or family??

Anyway... now I'm rambling! I'm just so excited to have found another mom with a toddler! I hope we can keep in touch.

C
    C
    I do run into those situations all the time. My son has cousins who are anywhere from 1 to 5 year older than he is. They don't see him often, maybe once a month or so, the differences can be a bit jarring. Not jarring to the kids...jarring to my sibs and their spouses!

I'll give you a great example. We were home at my mother's house for the 4th of July and my DS and I met my sister and her 2 boys, ages 4 and 6, for lunch at Chipotle. We were enjoying the meal when suddenly DS began speaking "People we're glad to know...part five." He rambles along, reading some paragraph about a farmer, and his cousin, the 6 year old, piped up and said "What's DS talking about?" I had to explain that DS was reading the back of my drink cup.

Cousin was interested and told his mom that my DS could read! I simply, quickly said that all kids are good at different things. My nephew is learning to read in school, so I mentioned that he could read too and that he was a much faster runner than my DS is. Everyone is good at different things. Then I changed the subject.

For me, I choose not to ignore it, but also not to dwell on it. I come here when I want to talk about it in depth or chat with my DH or my mother. Otherwise, I don't downplay DS's abilities, but just to focus on his commonalities with other kids his age.

I have lots of friends here locally with kids DS's age. Some of them "know" about him, some don't, but it's not a topic I bring up. I know it will be harder to avoid talking about DS when he starts school because the differences will be up front, so for now, I'm enjoying the peace. smile

And you are right about the wisdom and experience of this board and the posters who are here. They are absolutely terrific!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM