Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Yesterday I got a call from my son's High School counselor yesterday right before school got out. Initially I figured it had to do with the parent-teacher meeting we were setting up for his writing challenges. Nope.. she had my son in her office, his Spanish teacher thought something odd was going on with him because he wasn't answering his questions. My son continued not to talk with his counselor. They thought this was odd and had called me, concerned he would be biking home. It was a very hot day yesterday and my guess is they thought it was possible he had heat stoke? But if that was the case, why with the counselor not a school nurse? Lunch is right before this class and most students spend lunch outside. Turns out my son didn't want to be out in the heat, so went to the chess club for the first time instead. wink

Still not sure what to think about this. My son can get in these states where since he has nothing to say, he will say nothing. Last time we had such struggles with his writing, he became very anxious and this was one of the behaviors that seemed to result. This is part of why ASD was considered back in 6th grade. It can be very disconcerting and annoying to other people when he won't respond. This Spanish teacher is new for him this semester and it's become clear he doesn't really like this teacher very much. After he came home I talked to him about the importance of saying something even if it's a verbal "I don't know" in these kinds of situations.

I am wondering what was going through the Spanish teacher mind? Looks like yet another thing to discuss in two weeks.

Last edited by bluemagic; 05/02/14 09:48 AM.
    D
    D
    I understand why the teacher referred him, because it is odd for a high school kid to refuse to speak to his teacher and counselor. If it is due to anxiety, maybe some form of cognitive behavior therapy would be helpful to him? I am curious what his response was when he talked to you about it. What is the reason he gives for not responding? Did he not speak in Spanish class because he was afraid of making a mistake?

B
    OP Offline
    B
    He just said that he had nothing to say, he was tired and was very confused about the fuss. I tried explaining that in that case you have to say SOMETHING, even if it's 'I don't know' or 'I have no opinion' or 'I feel fine'. You can't just SIT there. Other people find that extremely rude, and worry there is something really wrong. I haven't seen this since he was 12. Back in 6/7th grade we had him in a social skills group and he seemed to have improved a lot since then.

Last edited by bluemagic; 05/02/14 12:37 PM.
    N
    N
    I do know when one is tired, no matter how much training you have, some natural tendencies will slip back. I am an adult, and yet I know for instance when I am really tired or sick, I forget some basics of the speech therapy and I will start to slur some sounds or drop some sounds again - despite the 10+ years of speech therapy I had as a child. My HS speech therapist (oh so many years ago now) mentioned that he noticed my tendencies to forget what I clearly know under certain specific conditions, and would have me check in every week or two to "remind" me and touch base on what I am up to - not for any formal therapy since I did not have speech issues, when I was not in those scenarios he noticed, but to sort of touch base in case something did change without notice.

Maybe, your son could use some resource that he could once in a while just check in for refresher on what he learned and just touch base?

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM