Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Thanks for the good wishes, everybody.

Good luck!

I'm glad you sent it in, Cathy. Hope you hear good news soon.

Neato

A
    adele
    Unregistered
    adele
    Unregistered
    A
    Hi Cathy
    This may sound like a silly question, but here it goes...how do you send a portfolio on cd-rom? I'm in the process of compiling my son's portfolio. yikes! I'm not at all computer savey. Is it a complicated process or straightforward? Thanks a bunch.

Adele, I just took digital photos of DS' work and copied them onto a CD. You could probably use a scanner, too. I used descriptive filenames that included DS' age at the time he did the work. I also included a letter describing the work. I don't know if they'll like that...but I haven't heard any complaints smile

I read somewhere else that someone who was accepted based on a portfolio ultimately "didn't make the cut"? What does that mean? Do you have to do testing anyway if you go the portfolio route? And what does "complete the six month introductory period" refer to? Is it some kind of probationary period?

Q
    Q
    Cathy,

I just went back to read the info on the application page again and I see that they changed their description of the portfolio - talks about stuff "just for fun." Interesting. Can't answer your question just yet - and I certainly have no first hand knowledge, but thought you'd be interested in the portfolio description. http://www.davidsongifted.org/young...Scholars____Application_Process_380.aspx

It is my understanding that if you use the portfolio instead of one of the tests, you need to get the missing test done within the next 6 months. You were also required to submit all the test the child has taken regardless of the outcome. I can't find it on their web page right now though.

We used the scores only so I have no personal experience with this. I think the bottom line is that it's much easier to apply with valid scores than the portfolio. There are also applicants who were asked to submit portfolio as an addition to their valid scores.

LMom
    Huh. I thought the portfolio was to make the program accessible to those who couldn't afford testing. I'm a little confused!

Q
    Q
    And what does "complete the six month introductory period" refer to? Is it some kind of probationary period?

Good question! You mean you have to be nervous about getting your DC in in the first place and then again about staying in? I couldn't imagine...

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM