Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: moni Questions about DYS application - 05/21/08 04:35 PM
Hi everyone!
My DS7 was tested by the school pysch. last month and after getting the results I'm thinking about doing the DYS application. His results on the WISC-IV would just qualify him, but the school used an achievement test called the Woodcock-McGrew-Werder Mini Battery of Achievement which isn't on Davidson's list.
So my main question deals with would DYS accept that achievement test? If not then should I just send some of my son's work or should I request a different test from the school and explain what I'm using it for? I don't have extra money to get an outside source to give him the test really.
Any advice on the application process would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
moni
Posted By: incogneato Re: Questions about DYS application - 05/21/08 04:52 PM
You really have nothing to lose by doing it that way. If they want further info or achievement testing after reviewing the porfolio, they will ask you for it.
They really are nice about it.

Neato
Posted By: moni Re: Questions about DYS application - 05/22/08 05:03 PM
Thank you both for your help. I did send them an e-mail asking the same question, but haven't heard back yet.
It is good to know that people have been accepted by portfolio and one test score. Now I just have to figure out what to include in a portfolio and I'm not sure how easy it will be to have my DS teacher and or principal to fill out the recommendation form so close to the end of school.
Please feel free to share advice if you've done portfolio...
Thanks,
Moni
Posted By: Kriston Re: Questions about DYS application - 05/22/08 05:36 PM
I didn't have to do this, but if we'd been asked for more info, I'd have sent video of my DS6. I think it's hard to show on paper just how HG+ a younger kid is, since even the most PG of them are rarely writing novels or curing cancer (yet) at that age. But when you see an HG+ child in action, you know it. I think video (or even audio) is much more effective.

Also, I recommend remembering that you need to distinguish not between an ND (normal development) child and a GT one, but between an MG child and an HG+ one. There's a big difference there!

Highlight the strongest areas, the ones where your DS7 is operating at least 3+ years above grade level.

Best wishes on the application! smile
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Questions about DYS application - 05/22/08 06:53 PM
Can I piggy back another question? What is the acceptance rate if kid gets 145+ on VCI or PRI but not FSIQ, and 145+ on achievement? Does 145+ Total vs only in a broad reading or math or writing give preferential acceptance? Do they accept all kids w/ the necessary testing numbers or do they then look at a pool of kids w/ the required numbers and choose amongst those based on portfolio and recommendation?
Posted By: Kriston Re: Questions about DYS application - 05/22/08 07:38 PM
I don't know about preferential, but my DS6 got a 145+ on PRI only (he also showed as GT on VCI, but not 145+, and his FSIQ wasn't above 145) with 145+ on the WJ-3. He was accepted into DYS.

Since they have a rolling admission process that never ends, it's pretty clear that they accept all who qualify according to their standards. As my son shows, those standards do clearly include kids who score 145+ only only one of the three acceptable scores.
Posted By: crisc Re: Questions about DYS application - 05/22/08 08:14 PM
Like Kriston's son my son was accepted with SB-V score of VIQ 145+ (NVIQ and FSIQ both in the GT range but less than 145) and a 145+ score on the Broad Math of the WJ-III. The other broad scores were also in the GT range but not 145+.

His scores met the minimum criteria but I also included plenty of anecdotes talking about his ability. I also saw the recommendation form by his teacher and she talked about DS5 in a very good light.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Questions about DYS application - 05/22/08 08:32 PM
Yes, lots of examples that differentiated between MG stuff and the HG+ stuff that DS6 was doing. I'm sure that helps!
Posted By: LMom Re: Questions about DYS application - 05/22/08 09:09 PM
DS5 was accepted with qualifying PIQ on WPPSI (150+ on WPPSI) and quite high Broad Math on WJ-III. As a matter of fact he didn't even have Total Achievement score on WJ-III because he wasn't given one of the subtests due to his age.

If you have the scores, go ahead and apply. You may be asked to add a portfolio if it's too close, but it's well worth applying.
Posted By: moni Re: Questions about DYS application - 06/03/08 01:16 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied to my thread. I heard back from Davidson about the AT and they wouldn't take it, but said to send it anyway. They told me to send portfolio items so after going through all of DS papers and journals I made some copies of mostly his creative writing pieces. I sent off the application yesterday. smile So now it is just waiting to hear the news. How long does it generally take to get the letter?
Moni
Posted By: Kriston Re: Questions about DYS application - 06/03/08 02:08 PM
It's a rolling deadline, so they review apps after the 15th of every month. You usually get the news right around the 15th of the following month. So I wouldn't expect to hear anything until around July 15th.

Time for a new waiting thread! eek smile
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Questions about DYS application - 06/03/08 02:53 PM
I bet the waiting is so hard....hang in there!
Posted By: kickball Re: Questions about DYS application - 06/03/08 04:58 PM
Question. Has anyone been asked for more testing? We didn't get a solid no but a send in another IQ (not surprised as our WJ-III are easily viewed as 99.9 but the WPSII was barely coming in at requirement. I think we can re-test at a school without cost... worth it or is this just how they say no?
Posted By: bianc850a Re: Questions about DYS application - 06/03/08 05:11 PM
Hi Kickball,

We were originally asked for more testing and later accepted into the program. Definitely worth a try.

Posted By: moni Re: Questions about DYS application - 06/03/08 08:58 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words and I'm sure I'll be able to hold out until then. smile Kriston- perhaps it would be a good idea to have a new waiting thread. smile
Posted By: Kriston Re: Questions about DYS application - 06/03/08 09:01 PM
We'll be there with you if you start one! Holding virtual hands and doing our best to distract you from how long it takes for the mail to arrive each day...

laugh
Posted By: moni Re: Questions about DYS application - 06/05/08 01:05 PM
Thanks for that Kriston. smile Think I'll do the waiting for letter thread when it gets a little closer.
Posted By: LMom Re: Questions about DYS application - 06/05/08 01:19 PM
Good luck with the application. I too would expect the results in a month at this time of year, you know vacations and such. We were lucky and got our reply in little over 2 weeks, but I think that was an exception. It actually was in the mailbox for at least a day because I didn't expect it so soon.

Kickball, lots of people are asked for more testing or additional portfolio. It's really not unusual.
Posted By: newtothis Re: Questions about DYS application - 06/14/08 05:52 PM
Thought I'd try to help on the timing...we were in the May batch and got our letter yesterday (June 14th)! Just about exactly a month after the 15th. And, we got good news! DS5 is now DYS! Good luck to your family!
Posted By: squirt Re: Questions about DYS application - 06/14/08 06:04 PM
Congratulations! I'm jealous (or is it envious?) but very happy for you.
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Questions about DYS application - 06/14/08 06:33 PM
Congrats Newtothis!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Questions about DYS application - 06/14/08 06:34 PM
Yay, NTT! Congratulations! laugh
Posted By: crisc Re: Questions about DYS application - 06/14/08 11:41 PM
Congrats on the great news!!
Posted By: moni Re: Questions about DYS application - 06/15/08 12:45 AM
Congratulations newtothis! Thanks for the best wishes. We got an e-mail from Bryan Hallauer, who is in charge of applications to let us know that they received the application and reccomendation letters. He also mentioned that they were going to review applications on the 16th and we should hear back in 3-4 weeks. I thought it was very good of them to notify us.
Posted By: LMom Re: Questions about DYS application - 06/15/08 01:17 AM
Congratulations! Good to see another 5 year old DYS!
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Questions about DYS application - 06/22/08 04:56 AM
Well, I've been working on DS' portfolio today. I'm just not sure what kind of stuff they are looking for. We don't have a video camera, so that's pretty much out. I tried to collect some interesting (and I think unusual) work samples. Not worksheets, although I have reams of those, but stuff that DS made or wrote. I am also planning to send more anecdotes. I don't know if they are looking for rock solid proof of...something...? I'm not sure I have anything like that. I guess what I have will just have to do.

Does anybody have any tips/ideas for what to include in a portfolio? How much stuff should I send? Do they return the things I submit? Some of them are keepsakes. I won't send them if I can't get them back.
Posted By: moni Re: Questions about DYS application - 06/22/08 01:38 PM
Cathy,
I didn't video my DS7 for the portfolio even though we have a camera...just felt a little strange about doing it. I sent off copies of samples from his kid writing journal/books which show his creativity and humor. They do not return items and since we are sentimental about saving these books (which he started writing in kindergarten and into this year into 1st), I just sent copies of the ones that were the best. I probably sent off more than was necessary, but I wanted to give them a feel of the books. I also probably gave too much detailed description for the portfolio, but I felt they needed to know since they didn't have the total book series.
If you'd like I can give you more detail in a pm.
Moni
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Questions about DYS application - 06/22/08 02:23 PM
I'm not sure how to copy some of these things because he illustrates a lot of his writing with flaps and pop-ups that he makes.

Could I take photos of the originals?
Posted By: moni Re: Questions about DYS application - 06/22/08 06:02 PM
That sounds very cool. smile I'm not sure about photos...perhaps you could copy the parts you could and add photos? You may just want to contact DYS about that...I sent them an e-mail with my questions and they got back to me within a week. (you can always call them too which is a bit quicker I think.
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Questions about DYS application - 06/22/08 06:25 PM
Thanks, Moni. I did try calling them last week but their message said they were out of the office until the 25th. So I decided to pump you for info instead smile
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Questions about DYS application - 06/23/08 12:03 AM
I don't think I received it.
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Questions about DYS application - 06/23/08 12:13 AM
OK, I got it smile
Posted By: Lorel Re: Questions about DYS application - 06/24/08 11:32 PM
Cathy-

You will not get anything you submit back, but it is fine to make copies and send those.

As to what to send, it really depends upon your child. What is it that makes him stand out? Find a way to highlight his greatest strengths. Look at Bloom's taxonomy for ideas on what they are looking for- I believe there is a link or explanation provided on the DYS site.
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Questions about DYS application - 07/04/08 12:07 AM
Well, I sent in a portfolio collection on CD-rom. I probably sent more than I needed to but I wasn't sure what they would consider important. Now I'm in waiting mode--but happy to have the whole thing done. smile
Posted By: questions Re: Questions about DYS application - 07/04/08 12:52 AM
Good luck, Cathy!
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: Questions about DYS application - 07/04/08 12:53 AM
Good luck Cathy!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Questions about DYS application - 07/04/08 01:18 AM
I'm thinking good thoughts for you, Cathy! smile

So are you a nervous waiter or one who puts it out of her mind? (I was a "put it out of mind" until the end, FWIW. Then I was pretty antsy about the wait.)
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Questions about DYS application - 07/04/08 01:36 AM
Well, I sort of consider it a long shot anyway so I'm not really too worked up over it. I didn't even try to figure out when to send it to have the shortest wait.
Posted By: LMom Re: Questions about DYS application - 07/04/08 01:57 AM
Good luck, Cathy. I put it out my mind. The reply came earlier than I expected it and it was in the mailbox for at least a day before I went to get our regular mail wink
Posted By: moni Re: Questions about DYS application - 07/04/08 02:33 AM
What a great idea Cathy! smile Wish I would have thought of that...would have saved me on copies of DS work. All the best as you wait until next month.
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Questions about DYS application - 07/04/08 02:36 AM
Thanks for the good wishes, everybody.
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Questions about DYS application - 07/04/08 01:40 PM
Good luck!
Posted By: incogneato Re: Questions about DYS application - 07/04/08 03:08 PM
I'm glad you sent it in, Cathy. Hope you hear good news soon.

Neato
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Questions about DYS application - 07/22/08 01:22 PM
Hi Cathy
This may sound like a silly question, but here it goes...how do you send a portfolio on cd-rom? I'm in the process of compiling my son's portfolio. yikes! I'm not at all computer savey. Is it a complicated process or straightforward? Thanks a bunch.

Posted By: Cathy A Re: Questions about DYS application - 07/22/08 04:29 PM
Adele, I just took digital photos of DS' work and copied them onto a CD. You could probably use a scanner, too. I used descriptive filenames that included DS' age at the time he did the work. I also included a letter describing the work. I don't know if they'll like that...but I haven't heard any complaints smile
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Questions about DYS application - 07/22/08 07:47 PM
I read somewhere else that someone who was accepted based on a portfolio ultimately "didn't make the cut"? What does that mean? Do you have to do testing anyway if you go the portfolio route? And what does "complete the six month introductory period" refer to? Is it some kind of probationary period?
Posted By: questions Re: Questions about DYS application - 07/22/08 08:07 PM
Cathy,

I just went back to read the info on the application page again and I see that they changed their description of the portfolio - talks about stuff "just for fun." Interesting. Can't answer your question just yet - and I certainly have no first hand knowledge, but thought you'd be interested in the portfolio description. http://www.davidsongifted.org/young...Scholars____Application_Process_380.aspx
Posted By: LMom Re: Questions about DYS application - 07/22/08 08:19 PM
It is my understanding that if you use the portfolio instead of one of the tests, you need to get the missing test done within the next 6 months. You were also required to submit all the test the child has taken regardless of the outcome. I can't find it on their web page right now though.

We used the scores only so I have no personal experience with this. I think the bottom line is that it's much easier to apply with valid scores than the portfolio. There are also applicants who were asked to submit portfolio as an addition to their valid scores.
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Questions about DYS application - 07/22/08 08:23 PM
Huh. I thought the portfolio was to make the program accessible to those who couldn't afford testing. I'm a little confused!
Posted By: questions Re: Questions about DYS application - 07/22/08 08:41 PM
And what does "complete the six month introductory period" refer to? Is it some kind of probationary period?

Good question! You mean you have to be nervous about getting your DC in in the first place and then again about staying in? I couldn't imagine...
Posted By: incogneato Re: Questions about DYS application - 07/22/08 08:46 PM
I would imagine that as board members change, policies could also change or be interpreted differently.

Posted By: Cathy A Re: Questions about DYS application - 07/22/08 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by questions
And what does "complete the six month introductory period" refer to? Is it some kind of probationary period?

Good question! You mean you have to be nervous about getting your DC in in the first place and then again about staying in? I couldn't imagine...

I found that in the FAQ:

To be eligible for Financial Assistance, a Young Scholar's family must meet each of the following conditions:

The applicant must complete the six-month introductory period; and
The applicant must demonstrate financial need based upon a Financial Application.

http://www.davidsongifted.org/young...rs___Frequently_Asked_Questions_381.aspx
Posted By: LMom Re: Questions about DYS application - 07/22/08 08:55 PM
As far as I know the 6 month introductory period applies to the Financial Aid only. I would think that if the portfolio looks great they may provide money for the additional testing, but like I said this may not be the policy anymore.

I looked at our application since the one of the Internet is from April 08, but I kept only the pages we filled out. Page #10 didn't require any input so I threw it away frown

Posted By: Cathy A Re: Questions about DYS application - 07/22/08 09:01 PM
Thanks, LMom! That makes sense.
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Questions about DYS application - 07/22/08 10:23 PM
It doesn't have anything to do with this thread, so I sent you a PM smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Questions about DYS application - 07/25/08 09:11 PM
thanks a bunch cathy. i've been puttin'-it-on-the-back-burner for 2 months now. i've gotta get movin' on it.
good luck to you.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum