Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 356 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    cee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Hello again,

I've become aware that the two county student orchestras that my son participated in (January and March) offer scholarships for summer study for his grade level. At one of the concerts, a child was presented with a scholarship on stage. In the booklet were names of other children and their grades/districts and the scholarship they had been granted. So anyway I became aware of all this 2.5 weeks ago. I emailed my son's school orchestra teacher asking for scholarship info, applications, any deadlines, etc. No response. A week after that, I emailed the MS/HS chairperson, with same question. No response. So late last week I followed up again with the orchestra teacher, including my concern not to miss any deadlines. Again, no response.

I've become aware that the school music dept is supposed to make families aware of scholarships and provide them with the applications. While waiting for their response, I checked the websites of the county orchestras, hoping to find scholarship applications. None, no links either. This confirms that the schools are the liaisons, as they are members of these county orchestra organizations (all players represent various school districts).

So I'm a bit angry, but don't want to come across like an irate parent. The 3 emails I sent were friendly and professional. So I don't understand this lack of courtesy of response, as well as not being provided the info I'm asking for. I've never had this experience with any of my son's other teachers, ever. I also suspect they are not responding because they know they dropped the ball and all deadlines have passed for summer scholarships.

Please help me understand what to do, and how to approach them. I'm angry about this but obviously I have to be careful about what I say and what I ask for... Thanks so much.

M
    M
    I would go in and ask in person. They can ignore your emails but you might get some success with a face to face conversation.

C
    cee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    But how should I approach the topic. How to address the fact that they're deliberately choosing not to reply. And deadlines may have passed. No other teachers have ever done this. As an advocating parent what do I say without earning a reputation as an irate parent.

H
    H
    I think I would just go in person and ask them what is the best way to contact them, as you had tried email and didn't get a response. There is a chance that your emails went to their junk mail folder.

After that is cleared up, then you can explain (or remind them, depending) the topic of your emails and discuss it.

C
    cee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Emails were sent through the parent portal to teacher. Impossible to be marked as spam. I have emailed them before on other topics and responses received, all well and good. It is this scholarship topic that they are not replying to. Like I said, I strongly believe it's because deadlines passed and they never passed along info on time.

E
    E
    Even though you know perfectly well that the email didn't get marked as spam, you are giving the teacher an opportunity to save face by bringing it up as a possibility. Send a nice, breezy email that says, "Hey, I emailed you before about music scholarships, but didn't get a reply. I wanted to check in again in case we had our wires crossed or something." You can cc the principal if you want to guarantee a response.

M
    M
    It might depend on what grade my child was (we have the same music teachers all three years of MS), but honestly, I would re-send - not through portal if you can- and copy principal and county orchestra. I would say that I am concerned because you aren't sure who is supposed to be in charge of this at your son's school and you are not getting any response to your emails. I would add that you were very surprised to learn of these scholarships - AT the concert! Both my sons are in orchestra in MS (luckily I love the teachers) and there isn't really a lot a teacher could do to retaliate in our school. Not to mention, if that is the worst parent email they get, I'd be surprised! Now that my dd is a teacher, I realize that if I'm not swearing and screaming at teachers, I'm not the worst. And she (dd) usually just feels bad for the student if they have that kind of parent. It doesn't make her angry at the student.
    So, I'd call them on it. I hate to say, but I think you're right and it's probably too late for this year, but maybe it won't happen again next year!

C
    cee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    My second email to orchestra teacher was exactly that... which I sent 5 days ago. So what now, write a third time to him and a second time to the chairperson, and cc the principal?

M
    M
    that's why I would go there in person. I would say you haven't received any response and would like to find out the information. They can't ignore you when you walk in.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by cee
    My second email to orchestra teacher was exactly that... which I sent 5 days ago. So what now, write a third time to him and a second time to the chairperson, and cc the principal?

Hmmmm... I didn't realize that the MS/HS chairperson was the person at the orchestra (I thought you tried both the MS and HS contact, but that there was yet a third party running the actual orchestra). So, that complicates things. One other option I've found that works is to call the principal and ask him/her to follow up. Sometimes parents here email the superintendent, which I think is a bit of overkill, but let me tell you, the parents always end up getting a response! In our school, going in isn't necessarily an option. Parents can't just show up or walk in - they are stopped at the door and would be told to make an appt with the teacher (which is kind of hard when you can't get a response!). However, again, I've known parents who go into the front office and say they'll be happy to wait until the vice principal or principal is available for a minute. I had a friend who just brought a big book with her and settled in... time consuming but effective! smile The principal came out rather quickly and problem was addressed.
    I'm sorry it's taking such an effort to get a response. It must be incredibly annoying.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM