Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 359 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Q
    Q
    Since they will be testing her before placement, I don't think you need to worry about gaps. Besides, there is so much spiraling in the elementary curriculum that she should be able to pick up from 6th grade math without too much effort even if there are a few gaps. 6th grade is technically middle school in our area but math-wise I would still group it with elementary math. In most curriculums, 7th grade math is pre-algebra although I have seen some "delayed" curiculums with 8th grade math as pre-algebra. In our district, normal GT math uses the textbook that is one grade level ahead along with enrichment but a number of kids are tested out of 5th grade GT math (6th grade math text) into Pre-Algebra as 5th graders. Since my DS was already accelerated in 2nd grade, he tested into that pre-algebra program as a 4th grader. Anyway, my point is that the consensus seem to be that it is okay to skip any year of elementary math (K to 6th) but not pre-algebra.

Since you have been reassured that 2E will be fully accomodated, you really don't have to worry for now. I would let middle and high school take care of themselves as there may be other options once your DD reach that level.

B
    B
    My school district uses the Holt textbooks, 6th grade is 'Holt Mathematics Course 1: Numbers to Algebra', 7th grade math is 'Holt Course 2: Pre-Algebra' and 8th either Holt Algebra I or Transitional Algebra (different publisher) if the student isn't ready for Algebra. My son was a year advanced of that and his class studied from Holt Math Course 1 book in 5th & Holt Course 2: Pre-Algeba in 6th, and Algebra in 7th. Fairly standard for kids in the GATE program.

My guess is that your daughters 6th grade would be the Holt Course 1 book. I wouldn't worry too much about your daughter missing out, as I think this is a book at touches on all expected topics. Elementary Math is often designed to be spiral learning. And that means ever year usually in 4-6th grade, most of the same topics are covered just in more depth every year. My son skipped "4th grade" math with no problems.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    bluemagic, do you like the Holt curriculum? I remember being told a long time ago that the district students are ready for pre-alegebra 1 year earlier than elsewhere, because the regular math curriculum is accelerated (before Holt they use Math Expressions). It seems unbelievable because for both kids it is SO incredibly slow and simplistic. I can't imagine anything that is MORE slow. I don't remember seeing the 6th grade book in the classroom but they did have Alegebra I and Geometry books. I'll try to do what I can during the summer but it looks like I need to work a lot on speed/fluency with her. I'm having her privately tested for the 2e situation and on the Woodcock Johnson her math fluency score was 3rd grade level and applied problems was 7th-8th grade equivalent (don't remember exactly and I don't have a score report). She understands everything, but the output/speed just isn't there. They say they can accommodate though, so maybe they'll just have to cut the workload way back. Give her half the number of problems to complete or something.

B
    B
    Honestly, I didn't spend a lot of time looking at the Holt Course 1 & 2 Books so I really couldn't say. Neither my son nor I had any particular problems with it. My son was in a dedicated gifted class at the time and they did enrich with outside challenge packets as well. Those enrichment work was the only math where he needed help.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Sounds good, thanks bluemagic. I know lots of people gripe about "spiraling" but I think it's good if they are moving at a very fast pace or accelerated.

L
    L
    Originally Posted by Loy58
    blackcat, that gifted program sounds amazing for your DD! I got tired of waiting for math acceleration to start at DD's school, so we've started EPGY (open enrollment) for DD for now. So far, we love it! It allows DD to go at her own pace. Perhaps you can start your DD on a level that would allow her to "fill in possible gaps" and then cruise forward?

Hello, Loy58. Can you tell me a little more 1) How does the teaching take place - thru taped lectures ? 2)What can you tell me about the Instructor based Course vrs open .

Thank you so much,

C
    cee Offline
    C
    Can anyone recommend the best site I can PRINT math assessments from? Rather than working online, I'd like something that I can score and bring in to a meeting at my son's school. Age 10, 6th grade, but he's probably able to do grade 8 math.

D
    D
    Cee, much better to have them assess him than do it yourself. They are likely to believe their own assessments.

H
    H
    For those looking for speed/automaticity on multiplication/division facts.... Brain Pop has a new game online called Multiplication Blocks.

Basically a number drops down and you have to choose 2-3 factors for it that are touching each other. My son (7) has been eating it up. With his processing score and ADHD, it is hard to find something that works. Even choosing the lowest setting, the game increases in difficulty as he plays it. His speed has vastly improved and he is learning some of the facts he did not yet know. He asks to play it and it can be used on iPad as well. Best multiplication game he has played.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Good to know. I told DD she should do Big Brainz the other day since she forgets the mult. facts if she doesn't keep reviewing them and she said that the timer is too distracting and refused to do it. Ok, so then why did she tell me to renew the subscription to it? I'll try Multiplication Blocks w/ her.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM